Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Images 17: Septomis Prime!
RE: Images 17: Septomis Prime!
(08-02-2021, 09:16 AM)Norgarth Wrote: [Image: qQrIiUf.jpg]

I read that, and I said to myself, "no way is that a real name". Well, one Wikipedia visit later, I can say, nope, wasn't her birth name. Idris Galcia Hall nee Welsh, born 13 October 1906, started that trip when she was sixteen. She was still a teenager when she completed it. "Wanderwell" was her married name -- yes, her husband was actually named that -- and she took his last name in 1922, years before she married him (at which time she also changed her first name to "Aloha"). She was also a filmmaker (she shot footage everywhere she went), an author, an aviator and a lecturer.

Sometimes I forget that reality is occasionally far more awesome than fiction.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Okay, look, I know you're upset about wealth inequality and all, and I agree that being on the bottom of the pyramid sucks, but tell me, if you were the one who'd had the good luck to start off with money and put in the work to turn it into a fortune, would you not want to spend some on space travel? I mean, seriously, it's the one thing that would really make dealing with that many people and that much paperwork worth it in my opinion.
--
‎noli esse culus
It's a symptom of inequality where tax policy is such that it enables such obscene displays of wealth. The world is so much worse because of these people

In fairness though - the world would be better off if some people just up and fucking left it at this point.

Anyway., Enough talk. Not sure if I've posted these before.

[Image: KeBIAAMl.jpg]

[Image: snIZ39El.jpg]

[Image: cQfxli4l.jpg]

[Image: jIlEKRWl.jpg]

[Image: 8JNOmlil.jpg]

[Image: twl6xhMl.jpg]

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(08-02-2021, 02:13 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Okay, look, I know you're upset about wealth inequality and all, and I agree that being on the bottom of the pyramid sucks, but tell me, if you were the one who'd had the good luck to start off with money and put in the work to turn it into a fortune, would you not want to spend some on space travel? I mean, seriously, it's the one thing that would really make dealing with that many people and that much paperwork worth it in my opinion.

If I was in that position, I'd make sure I was spending my own money, not taxpayer-funded aid money. And I'd also make sure my lowest-paid employee could afford to take the day off work to come see the launch, if he or she chose to. But that's me.

Oh, right - this is an images thread... Hey, look! Somebody ran the most famous photo from New Horizons through real-color enhancement!

[Image: PlutoEnhancedHiRes_NewHorizons_5000.jpg]

Reduced to 1/10 size - original here.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Two things before "rich people in space" gets kicked to Politics: One, I think celebrating DD Harriman funding space travel in Heinlein's Future History and then complaining when someone does it in real life is hypocritical, and two, Bezos was a member of "Students for the Exploration and Development of Space" (along with a few of my friends) at Princeton and the case was made by one of those friends Friday night that it's entirely likely he made a fortune so he could go to space.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
hmm, the Bezos one probably should have gone to the political forum, my bad.

[Image: 2M0mki1.jpg]
[Image: B2h1QUX.jpg]
[Image: 9WtZlWk.jpg]
[Image: 5uoolpu.jpg]
[Image: YsZOcPE.jpg]
[Image: BL8xNnx.jpg]
[Image: wyAATOc.jpg]
[Image: pRea03k.jpg]
[Image: Gyeg5Fw.jpg]
[Image: RGrtJVr.jpg]
[Image: SptGnXx.jpg]
[Image: XrydidT.jpg]
[Image: jNEAcf7.jpg]
[Image: BeVbyii.jpg]
[Image: pzuYnBL.jpg]
[Image: MnxMh5t.jpg]
[Image: 5P4wCOz.jpg]
[Image: akHYv53.png]
[Image: epVmBjk.jpg]
[Image: hDBh1mV.jpg]
[Image: ytFJTXD.jpg]
[Image: Yg37zUY.jpg]
[Image: jjF5WUR.jpg]
[Image: XKmEleg.jpg]
the last one about the Olympic tennis player, he apparently was not commenting on Miss Biles. The fact he thru a hissy fit 2 days after talking about how professionals deal with pressure is still hilarious
[Image: oSaOWfP.jpg]
[Image: 7YYNLD8.jpg]
[Image: aOEfPCz.jpg]
[Image: Tiy2nqI.jpg]
[Image: UHHvMtd.jpg]
[Image: jU7A0NF.jpg]
[Image: owU17QO.jpg]
[Image: sDsmlF2.jpg]
From two twitter accounts that Popped up on me feed the other day:
https://twitter.com/kia_asamiya
https://twitter.com/guti93taki

[Image: 9ud0nXAl.jpg]
[Image: pQtbq3dl.jpg]
[Image: nlOnxrdl.jpg]
[Image: OzgKE1Ql.jpg]
[Image: Jk6ad40l.jpg]

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

[Image: APuP2NP.png]
[Image: 5Rox6Zt.png]
[Image: pSG85bW.jpg]
[Image: fghmICi.jpg]
[Image: oyuLWKo.jpg]
[Image: Fvte8kq.jpg]
[Image: audGnQy.jpg]
[Image: XzMOKqf.jpg]
[Image: KchiUa2.png]
[Image: 1JypWkE.png]
[Image: 2RswBv2.png]
[Image: nuRmPkC.png]
[Image: XBzjery.png]
[Image: 5ToUxiR.png]
[Image: ROBL9eE.jpg]
[Image: gIyA6Av.jpg]
(08-04-2021, 08:15 AM)Norgarth Wrote: [Image: XBzjery.png]

Ray, if someone asks if you're a god...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Fanart fro Choo1701, for a fic I wrote

[Image: 2reVkP2l.jpg]
[Image: 9gIfXEzl.jpg]

[Image: TFhjy84.jpg]
[Image: o8ROAiW.jpg]
[Image: 5K82XZG.jpg]
[Image: mymYpFd.png]
[Image: k8xqaxo.jpg]
[Image: P0nf3fE.jpg]
[Image: u3sONM5.jpg]
(08-04-2021, 10:50 PM)Norgarth Wrote: [Image: u3sONM5.jpg]

Don't you hate it when your el-cheapo invisibility cloak starts fritzing out?
-- Bob

[Image: tj9ybwP.jpg]
[Image: IGJNF81.jpg]
[Image: Eb2xrsH.jpg]
[Image: ESntYao.png]
[Image: oVYtEm3.jpg]
[Image: EYUHbOO.jpg]
[Image: fxYRyMR.jpg]
[Image: VPweoG7.jpg]
[Image: mg9rvZI.jpg]
[Image: ViTjWkb.jpg]
[Image: T9YSnWr.jpg]
[Image: GBCgasK.jpg]
[Image: uBezIoo.jpg]
[Image: xzQYqMy.jpg]
[Image: fUh6Hgz.jpg]
[Image: yWUgxIM.jpg]
[Image: FaUSGPR.jpg]
[Image: vUBE2DZ.jpg]
[Image: whpCoWy.jpg]
[Image: oRuEtyD.jpg]
[Image: CEz0D2y.jpg]
[Image: XJH8Tkk.jpg]
[Image: VNDOpLq.jpg]
[Image: tcP22G4.jpg]
[Image: LPdzrlN.jpg]
[Image: l6TadIf.jpg]
[Image: FWob6Qc.jpg]
[Image: ogJtOpi.jpg]
[Image: cIXiYXL.jpg]
[Image: OwLc6NL.jpg]
(08-06-2021, 10:30 AM)Norgarth Wrote: [Image: OwLc6NL.jpg]

Crown corporations that turn a profit would beg to differ.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
meh, if they are turning a profit, presumably that means people (aka taxpayers) are forking over cash for their product, so it's still taxpayer funded, just in a different way. 8P

EDIT:
[Image: wGoSXpZ.jpg]
[Image: pGfJLp4.jpg]
[Image: dIfFY7e.jpg]
[Image: PL0mfIT.jpg]
[Image: rWbXaYH.jpg]
[Image: HPxVslh.jpg]
[Image: WVOjjfn.jpg]
[Image: 9j7IDg4.jpg]
(08-06-2021, 10:30 AM)Norgarth Wrote: [Image: VNDOpLq.jpg]

Do I need to mention that I've been telling people to do this in my writer's guide for nigh unto fifteen years now? <grin>
-- Bob

I have mostly cut scenes at this point - fragments of dialogue and somethinh that may, one day, be assembled into something resembling a pilot.

Anyway. Tax

[Image: mbyKWGyl.jpg]
[Image: adYNxG0l.jpg]
[Image: FOmXEewl.jpg]
[Image: ByZnbUPl.jpg]
[Image: q7YgAczl.jpg]

That picture with the old timer with all his wives intrigued me, so I did a bit of digging.

The only real blemish? This dude managed to off himself by going hang gliding... with no prior experience or an instructor. Otherwise, it seems he was a stellar person who was loved by all his wives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Yod