Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part VI

I'm thinking it might be helpful in YKTTW cases, but that might not be enough to justify setting it up for ATT.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I'm going to assume they already know -- every time I go to IRC to report something like this, they've already been hard at work on it.
I think we'd better report it - the freebie wiki is back to normal, but ATT isn't.
--
Rob Kelk

And now for something completely different: I can't access All The Tropes on my cellphone.

The first error message I get is:
Quote:Server Certificate Error Details
Connection attempted to:
  • allthetropes.org
The server certificate is configured for:
  • *.miraheze.org
  • miraheze.org
This has been disallowed by your administrator

Tapping the OK button gives me:
Quote:Refusing connection. This server has been previously noted as supporting HTTP Strict Transport Security. Due to SSL certificate warnings/errors, a connection will not be made.

I do not have an option to ignore this error - my cellphone is a BlackBerry, and security was not an afterthought on BlackBerrys.

We need a new SSL certificate, issued to allthetropes.org and *.allthetropes.org instead of the current one that's issued to miraheze.org and *.miraheze.org

(EDIT: Completely useless trivia: this is my post # 12321 to this forum.)
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
I'm going to assume they already know -- every time I go to IRC to report something like this, they've already been hard at work on it.
I think we'd better report it - the freebie wiki is back to normal, but ATT isn't.
I dropped a "yo, what's up the wiki?" email to Geth and Brent earlier today but have not heard back from either yet.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:I'm going to assume they already know -- every time I go to IRC to report something like this, they've already been hard at work on it.

I dropped a "yo, what's up the wiki?" email to Geth and Brent earlier today but have not heard back from either yet.
My apologies Bob, just submitted a report to get some issues fixed, been doing other things for most of today.

Also, some of the talk pages from the Trope Workshop are horribly corrupted due to Orain going down and our backup restoring somewhat crappily (a lot of LQT stuff got farbled in translation), so if you run into one, add "?action=delete" to the end of the page URL, delete the page, and recreate it, the originals are utterly borked.

VisualEditor is getting totally excised, too many issues.

Let me know if there are other issues.

Thanks, Geth. When I get a chance I'll go through TW talk pages and fix them accordingly.

And I really should get more involved in the Miraheze side, so I can submit queries and bugfix requests. But there's so much content to fix...

And while I'm here, Brent replied to the email, so let me put the relevant bits up for Rob and other interested parties:
Quote:As far as the particular bugs, I'm pretty sure the domain name thing is
resolved. At least I'm not seeing any errors, and the certificate doesn't
expire until St. Patrick's. We're still working out the renewal, but
nothing should be broken for now.

As far as gadgets and such, there's a Javascript loading error. I just
reported that to the Miraheze crew. It only seems to impact logged-in
users, which is annoying but better than the inverse as we'd never notice
it.
-- Bob
---------

Just checked, and the SSL certificate is still borked - it still says "miraheze" instead of "allthetropes".

Run your browser in strict mode and you'll get the same error.
--
Rob Kelk

And all the widgets and gadgets and other script-based stuff is now working.

However, I just got this when I tried to delete http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Category:Wild_AR_Ms_3]a page marked for deletion:
Quote:Permission error
View or restore 2 deleted edits?

You do not have permission to delete this page, for the following reason:

This page has a large edit history, over 250 revisions. Deletion of such pages has been restricted to prevent accidental disruption of All The Tropes.
What admin permissions do I need for this? I'll go dig through the appropriate special page(s) to see if I can figure it out, but if someone knows I wouldn't mind the help.
EDIT:  never mind, it deleted despite the message.  Weird.  Wouldn't mind shutting that off, still, though.
-- Bob
---------

@Bob: The BigDelete issue is something intended to protect the server.  If that ever comes up again, you might need to contact me/Miraheze to delete a page.  I'll see if I can get that limit bumped up, though.
@Rob: I can't reproduce any certificate errors.  And Qualsys SSL Labs gives allthetropes.org a grade A on both IPv4 and IPv6.  Not sure what I can do here.
robkelk Wrote:Ooooohhhhhh... I want this so much for the freebie wiki - but the freebie wiki isn't ready for it yet.
If you mean the Semantic Wiki extension, then no, because I don't think we have enough money to purchase the resources to run a wiki with it in enabled.  And yes, I do want it.
And finally, the JS error was caused by the VectorBeta extension, which has a hardcoded dependency on a logging extension we didn't have (but only if you were logged in).  Solution: kill VectorBeta, because most of its features were incorporated into Mediawiki 1.26, and it's unmaintained, and it's no longer used on any wikis in the farm.
Other interesting facts about the wiki: * Miraheze.org now has an Alexa rank in the 600k range, moving up 2M ranks in the last 3 months * Allthetropes.org has an Alexa rank of 1.5M already * Miraheze as a whole gets about 825 unique visitors daily. * db1 is getting on average 2 weeks of uptime, which means a lot less error messages for you
We've just dropped below the point where we have 12 months of budget in the Miraheze accounts at the current service level.  We'll probably get another free month by switching the account from John Lewis to me, so that we can avoid 20% VAT by doing business in the U.S.  But other than that we might want to run a fundraiser.  If you want to make less work for me, consider dropping some cash in http://www.paypal.me/miraheze Thanks.

-- ∇×V
-- ∇×V

If it's a protective thing, I withdraw any complaints. I'd rather be inconvenienced than open a vulnerability.
-- Bob
---------

vorticity Wrote:@Bob: The BigDelete issue is something intended to protect the server.  If that ever comes up again, you might need to contact me/Miraheze to delete a page.  I'll see if I can get that limit bumped up, though.

@Rob: I can't reproduce any certificate errors.  And Qualsys SSL Labs gives allthetropes.org a grade A on both IPv4 and IPv6.  Not sure what I can do here.
No worries - it's an artifact of a browser that was never patched to use SNI before the dev team stopped supporting the platform. I can live without ATT access on my current cellphone.

vorticity Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:Ooooohhhhhh... I want this so much for the freebie wiki - but the freebie wiki isn't ready for it yet.
If you mean the Semantic Wiki extension, then no, because I don't think we have enough money to purchase the resources to run a wiki with it in enabled.  And yes, I do want it.
I can wait... and dream.

vorticity Wrote:We've just dropped below the point where we have 12 months of budget in the Miraheze accounts at the current service level.  We'll probably get another free month by switching the account from John Lewis to me, so that we can avoid 20% VAT by doing business in the U.S.  But other than that we might want to run a fundraiser.  If you want to make less work for me, consider dropping some cash in http://www.paypal.me/miraheze Thanks.
Rent day is today, payday is next week... please remind me then.
--
Rob Kelk

This is weird (arbitraily-highly-numbered edition)
So, I'm trying to open Dragon Warrior (anime) from the recent changes list, and I get
Quote:503 Backend fetch failed
Our servers are having problems at the moment. Please try again in a few minutes.
Please provide the details below if you report this error to the system administrators:
Error 503 Backend fetch failed, forwarded for ::ffff:73.33.196.34, 127.0.0.1 (Varnish XID 3080387) via cp2 at Wed, 02 Mar 2016 15:12:42 GMT.
Multiple times, although every other page I opened at the same time came up just fine.  I waited a couple minutes and tried again.  Success.  However, I'm concerned that these errors may indicate something that may still need addressing.
Edit:  Five minutes later and it's now happening on multiple pages.
-- Bob
---------

From what I hear that was our servers getting overloaded, probably from this one guy who was trying a bunch of pages to overload the server that day.
-- ∇×V

We've seen that error a few more times now, Bob.  We're still not sure what is going on.
Back on the topic of running a fundraiser, I see three options here:
  1. Run a fundraiser on a standard fundraising site (Kickstarter, Indiegogo).  Fees: 5% site + (3% + $0.30) payment processor
  2. Run a fundraiser on Indiegogo's spinoff, Generosity.org.  Fees: 0% site + (3% + $0.30) payment processor -- but the site tries to trick you into giving 15% more to the site.  See http://www.generosity.com/fundraising/ ... -parenting and click Donate Now as an example.  I wouldn't mind if you donate money to that too -- that's a friend of mine from college and they're trying to send her to jail for letting her kid play alone in a park literally on the same block as her apartment.
  3. Just beg for direct transfers on Paypal.  Fees: 2-3%, or maybe 0% because it's not a purchase. This doesn't work if people don't have Paypal account, but do have some form of credit card.
Anyone have an idea on which is a better idea, or which would be harder to use?  I'm new to this crowdfunding thing.  I think our goal is going to be around $600 which is a good annual cost projection for the hosting.  I gave about $500 over this last year, but I'd really prefer that not continue.  Both of those donations were at times that I felt we really needed to prove that we were fiscally solvent -- the $300 in particular hasn't been touched after we got access to RamNode again.  But I would much rather run with at least a 6 month reserve for now.
Also I think it's a bit too early in the organization for merch
madness, but tell me if you feel differently.  Especially about ATT
merch.
If we do well, we'll get upgrades on mw1 and mw2 - for faster/less buggy page rendering.  After that an upgrade on cp1 and cp2 - faster performance when logged out and static assets because more RAM for caching.  I think in the long term we'll want our own server in colocation, but uh -- our head tech isn't old enough to get into the data center.  When he turns 16, then we'll be in business.  I'd say his professionalism is almost on par with the sysadmins at my work, but age a common measure despite being only weakly correlated with maturity.
And the last thing, I'm fixing up the trope link highlighter.  By completely rewriting it.  Should be faster, and definitely less janky.  It's still in testing, but it should be back soon -- perhaps next weekend.
-- ∇×V

Just got some "503 Backend fetch failed" errors, on both ATT and the freebie wiki. (Luckily, this was after I finished sorting the examples and adding an image to "Signature Device" - no work was lost on my end.)

As for merch madness, I never did get that Orain coffee mug... and at this point I fully expect I never will.
--
Rob Kelk

On the 503 errors, we don't know a lot yet, but here's the issue tracking it. http://github.com/miraheze/mw-config/issues/430
On the coffee mug: If you want your f***in coffee mug, you pretty much have the best shot of getting it, because AFAIK Dusti of Orain is in Cornwall ON.  It's the right jurisdiction, and that was kind of an expensive mug.  http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help ... e#/updates  There's a Report a Policy Violation link on there.  Breach of contact and non-delivery of "Perks" is totally against policy.
I suspect that I was probably warnocked on fundraising because no one had any experience to offer.  Which is totally cool.  I do have friends who do fundraising for a living so I probably ought to ask them...
Anyway, the new trope highlighter is stable and fast enough that I just enabled it sitewide.  There's a gadget to disable it if you want.  The new version is less crappy, because whoever wrote the old version was a total moron.
Arcane wants to get a voting extension back, so I'm going to review those.  ExtensionTongueoll is already installed in Miraheze, so I was going to recommend that until I actually read the source code.  It's hardcoded at maximum six options, because no one wants more than six options, right?  That's one whole option more than a scantron!  Time to review more options.
-- ∇×V

The trope highlighting was a surprise this morning, but I got used to it quickly. It'll be good to see a polling tool again -- and can we get that star/rating thing back as well?

Oh, and I asked SPF about video extensions weeks (months?) ago, but no action on that front since then. I should probably poke him about it.
-- Bob
---------

Note to self (and anyone else who wants to take a stab at it, since I have so many other things to do, won't get to this for a while, and don't mind if someone else takes care of it before I do):

"Category:Music", "Category:Musicians", "Category:Music Tropes", and the various other music-related categories need a serious re-organization. "Music" redirects to "Category:Music Tropes" instead of "Category:Music" (which needs descriptive content to match what's on "Category:Musicians" and "Category:Music Tropes"); musicians are listed under "Category:Music", "Category:Musicians", or both with no rhyme or reason; it isn't obvious what if anything we have to describe various musical styles (do we even have high-level divisions Blues, Classical, Country, Folk, Jazz, R&B/Rock, Rap, etc, the way Video Games has 18 sub-styles?); and so on.

EDIT: Hmmmmm... would it be worthwhile turning "Category:Music" into a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... categories]container category for all of the other music-related categories? Or should a separate category be created for that and Category:Music used for something else? Does ATT even use container categories?
--
Rob Kelk

Extension:Youtube is already available, not sure what else you asked for.  I'm working my way through the extensions backlog, but feel free to add more to it.  Said backlog: http://github.com/miraheze/mw-config/l ... y%20Review
It seems that we solved the out of memory problems in the database, as it's been very stable over the last week.
We now have a backup server taking regular backups for all of Miraheze, every 1-2 weeks.  Details are here: http://github.com/miraheze/puppet/issu ... -202352846
Fixed the Alt Redirects Gadget and reenabled it.  It's still too slow.
I'm not opposed to container categories.  Category:Index_Index is supposed to be one, but well... http://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?ti ... dex&from=T
-- ∇×V

Quote:Extension:Youtube is already available
It is?  Cool.  (Like I said, I hadn't heard anything, which isn't the same as "nothing has been done".) Gonna have to read up on it and update all the old video links.
-- Bob
---------

vorticity Wrote:...
I'm not opposed to container categories.  Category:Index_Index is supposed to be one, but well... http://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?ti ... dex&from=T
Only 111 pages? I can change those to "Category:Index" manually (and add them to the 1461 pages already in that category) faster than we could write a bot to do the same work.
--
Rob Kelk

Can someone who is far more versed in writing templates take a look at "Template:Video right" for me? I was trying to change it last night to use the new YouTube extension, but for some reason it's not taking the parameter properly. And for some other reason, I'm sure, two players appear on the template page when you look at it instead of one. I was working on it last night, but got interrupted when friends came by, and I have to start work in half an hour, and I don't like the idea of it sitting there broken all that much longer.

Thanks.
-- Bob
---------

Refresh my memory, please: Can I put a playable control for a WikiCommons audio file onto an ATT page? If yes, how? (If no, that's fine - no need to find and install an extension on my account.)

(The specific case is that I want to put http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... n_bass.ogg onto the "Theremin" page.)
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:
vorticity Wrote:...
Only 111 pages? I can change those to "Category:Index" manually (and add them to the 1461 pages already in that category) faster than we could write a bot to do the same work.
Okay, that's almost done. I want outside opinions before changing the remaining two pages; the reasons should be obvious - http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Category:Index_Index

(During this project, I moved the text on a half-dozen trope pages to their category pages because they already had their examples on subpages, and cleaned up the resulting double redirects. Another reason to not leave the job to a bot... )
--
Rob Kelk

Something got broken:
Quote:Notice: Undefined index: wgNamespacesToPostIn in /srv/mediawiki/w/includes/SiteConfiguration.php on line 381
is appearing at the top of most pages, and a number of features are no longer functioning.
Edit:  And just now I tried to use HotCat to change a category.  I got a dialog reading "200 OK" pop  up, the category didn't change, and HotCat vanished from all subsequent pages.
-- Bob
---------