Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVI
(11-18-2022, 10:13 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: He's a relatively new user, but I'm nominating Ilikecomputers for automod membership.  He's prolific, interacts easily with us mods and other users, and is scrupulous about not copying from TVT in all his new content for the wiki.  At the very least promoting him will make the mod queue much less overloaded.

What say you, fellow mods?

I was a bit leery initially, but I don't see anything that looks suspicious despite their prolific editing history, so add me to the approve list.
<sigh> While waiting for various tasks to process, I cleared out 43 of the 44 items in the mod queue this morning. (#44 is a new Foot Focus edit by Lady Kitaro. Yay.)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(11-18-2022, 12:13 PM)GethN7 Wrote: He's a relatively new user, but I'm nominating Ilikecomputers for automod membership.  He's prolific, interacts easily with us mods and other users, and is scrupulous about not copying from TVT in all his new content for the wiki.  At the very least promoting him will make the mod queue much less overloaded.

Okay, nearly 36 hours, three "yes" votes, no votes "no". I'll be promoting him shortly.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Ah, this old chestnut.

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...wou541fxvo

I left a pretty firm reply on that I believe sums up the ATT position on the matter directly under it.
Methinks Maximillian doth protest too much - I'm glad the initial read based on the WWII AU fascination was wrong, but it seems he instead has a tendency towards moralized conniptions (which the ban thread I dug up previously supports).

That said, the BnP article could probably use some severe updating, but I doubt I'll be the one to touch it first. (Fascinatingly, I just discovered it has a Wikipedia article.)
(11-19-2022, 06:07 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(11-18-2022, 12:13 PM)GethN7 Wrote: He's a relatively new user, but I'm nominating Ilikecomputers for automod membership.  He's prolific, interacts easily with us mods and other users, and is scrupulous about not copying from TVT in all his new content for the wiki.  At the very least promoting him will make the mod queue much less overloaded.

Okay, nearly 36 hours, three "yes" votes, no votes "no".  I'll be promoting him shortly.

Late endorsement on that - definitely has the spirit even if he's a bit gushy (and that's no crime, at least not in this case).
(11-20-2022, 02:12 AM)GethN7 Wrote: Ah, this old chestnut.

I left a pretty firm reply on that I believe sums up the ATT position on the matter directly under it.

In fact, to springboard off this, I'm thinking again about how of the many users we've had to actively ban from here, several of them were the sort to take a "blackjack and hookers" approach to the prospect of either being banned from TVTropes or else splitting from it, and - by all appearances - only resented TVT's adminship (which was indeed corrupt at the time) and cooperated with ATT insofar as the former's adminship prevented them from pursuing their own self-interested goals at either wiki's expense.

This is something I feel I've seen play out quite a handful of times - the Complete Monster fiasco that was dragged over here and most "sides" directly involved in it, the recent fetish tropers (who it must be said, have a monomaniacal focus on said fetish that is infinitely more cause for concern than the fetish itself), the other editors banned for being unable to let go of ideological bents... it's bothersome, to the point I wonder sometimes if there isn't some Original Sin-type nonsense at play.
(11-20-2022, 05:35 AM)Umbire Wrote:
(11-20-2022, 02:12 AM)GethN7 Wrote: Ah, this old chestnut.

In fact, to springboard off this, I'm thinking again about how of the many users we've had to actively ban from here, several of them were the sort to take a "blackjack and hookers" approach to the prospect of either being banned from TVTropes or else splitting from it, and - by all appearances - only resented TVT's adminship (which was indeed corrupt at the time) and cooperated with ATT insofar as the former's adminship prevented them from pursuing their own self-interested goals at either wiki's expense.

This is something I feel I've seen play out quite a handful of times - the Complete Monster fiasco that was dragged over here and most "sides" directly involved in it, the recent fetish tropers (who it must be said, have a monomaniacal focus on said fetish that is infinitely more cause for concern than the fetish itself), the other editors banned for being unable to let go of ideological bents... it's bothersome, to the point I wonder sometimes if there isn't some Original Sin-type nonsense at play.

The thing is, basically, that we split not just because personal desires were being constrained, we split over actual, well-defined principles that were communally agreed on, and we promised to make sure no one person's agenda could or would disrupt what we all consented to as our common guidelines due to said split. Those who can submit their interests in subordination towards our betterment are forever welcome. Those who simply want us to give them free reign to do as they please at the expense of the harmony and communal consent of the rest of us, well, they can leave with all due haste, either of their own free will or involuntarily, should it regretfully come to that.
It seems to me his use of Fast Eddie's neologism "pedoshit" (="Anything I don't like or which costs me profits") indicates he already has a bias which doesn't fit in the goals and purpose the wiki.
-- Bob

(11-20-2022, 09:21 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: It seems to me his use of Fast Eddie's neologism "pedoshit" (="Anything I don't like or which costs me profits") indicates he already has a bias which doesn't fit in the goals and purpose the wiki.

Hence this ultimatum I left:

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...jrcz0b9lz1
(11-20-2022, 09:21 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: It seems to me his use of Fast Eddie's neologism "pedoshit" (="Anything I don't like or which costs me profits") indicates he already has a bias which doesn't fit in the goals and purpose the wiki.

Oh, is that what the word means?

I just asked in the thread for a definition.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Well, I guess it was too much to hope for that after a day or so of perfect operation, the wiki would stay that way. Today, literally every other page access I make gets a 500 error and a Chrome page that says "allthetropes.org is currently unable to handle this request." Half the time when it does go through, I get a page with absolutely no styling at all. I ask again, is there a more reliable host we can migrate to?
-- Bob

(11-20-2022, 12:31 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Well, I guess it was too much to hope for that after a day or so of perfect operation, the wiki would stay that way.  Today, literally every other page access I make gets a 500 error and a Chrome page that says "allthetropes.org is currently unable to handle this request."  Half the time when it does go through, I get a page with absolutely no styling at all.  I ask again, is there a more reliable host we can migrate to?

https://nitter.net/MirahezeStatus/status...n%5Es1_c12

Nitter is just another way to view Twitter as an alternate frontend for it, but basically, the issues are not just us, they are still trying to fix those database issues they mentioned prior and have confirmed they are still working on it.

In this case, I'll give them some kudos, they know and are trying, but thing is, we are just one wiki on an entire network, and a wiki farm, by its nature, is an integrated entity, and they want ALL the wikis to go up, not just ours. Unfortunately, given the size of their operation, they cannot just detach us from the rest of their services and leave us running perfectly while they fix everything else. So issues until they restore all wikis should be expected until they are brought back up.

As for other hosting options, frankly, I checked, and considering what we pay for and the kind of freedom we get to tweak and customize things (and the fact they do not censor us at all for any reason other than was is legal), and frankly Miraheze is the best we got on our shoestring budget. Also, I'm going to have to comment that any comparisons to Orain are not exactly fair, Miraheze at present is a MUCH larger entity.
I'm not even getting as far as the 50x pages - I'm getting fatal exceptions instead.

Phabricator ticket entered

EDIT: Of course this happens when I'm working on the Discworld cleanup. (33 novels to go, BTW).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
BTW, I'd like to recommend we let Horny out of the timeout chair, he seems to have chilled out considerably and all his edits have been good for quite awhile now.
(11-20-2022, 11:41 AM)robkelk Wrote:

Oh, is that what the word means?

I just asked in the thread for a definition.

Alright, let's be just a bit realistic here.

I speak only in the capacity of being Just Another User, but I'm not sure how effective it is to pounce based on a choice of word that hearkens back to the era of the split, even if I've (personally, speaking for myself and no one else here) heard it from various people other than Eddie - even if that's as much of an indicator as it's being claimed, I feel like it's worth actually letting Max respond before pursuing things further. Beyond that, Max's argument for radically changing the presentation of the wiki, much less towards moral beatsticking, is already suspicious enough without having to pick apart the language of his posts. As I just explained to him myself, it's a matter of degrees.

But as stated, at the end of the day I'm just another user, so regard or disregard this as you wish.
Anybody want to make pages for any of the nine movies on this list that don't have pages yet?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just replaced a public domain image (from TVT) with a larger and better-quality version of the same image (from Commons).

Do we have a policy for what to do with the TVT image? If it was still under copyright, I'd toss it, but the image is PD...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-20-2022, 02:44 PM)GethN7 Wrote: BTW, I'd like to recommend we let Horny out of the timeout chair, he seems to have chilled out considerably and all his edits have been good for quite awhile now.

I haven't had time to read his edits, but I'm willing to trust you...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-22-2022, 12:11 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(11-20-2022, 02:44 PM)GethN7 Wrote: BTW, I'd like to recommend we let Horny out of the timeout chair, he seems to have chilled out considerably and all his edits have been good for quite awhile now.

I haven't had time to read his edits, but I'm willing to trust you...

I've been checking a lot of his stuff in the mod queue, and I have no problem with giving him back automod.
-- Bob

(11-22-2022, 12:07 PM)robkelk Wrote: I just replaced a public domain image (from TVT) with a larger and better-quality version of the same image (from Commons).

Do we have a policy for what to do with the TVT image? If it was still under copyright, I'd toss it, but the image is PD...

I don't remember it ever coming up before... I suppose there's no reason we can't keep it around. It's not like we're short on storage. (We're not, right?)
-- Bob

Bob, I'm going to wait until after you reply to this post (or tell me here that you aren't going to reply) before I mention that I'm also a writer.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I don't have the time to answer it right now -- I have to crash ten minutes ago, since Peg and I are doing the Thanksgiving turkey at her mother's place tomorrow. And I probably won't have time to do anything on the wiki until Sunday evening, as this will almost certainly be, like Thanksgiving weekends past, 24-hour family activities. (Not to mention the niece who adores me and uses me as a jungle gym will be wanting attention.)

So go ahead and reply if you care to.
-- Bob

(11-23-2022, 10:05 PM)robkelk Wrote: Bob, I'm going to wait until after you reply to this post (or tell me here that you aren't going to reply) before I mention that I'm also a writer.

I've already said my piece in reply to Max's most recent comment, but I have to ask...

"It's not just what they depict, it's that they have the gall to claim that it was the kids who were seducing the pedos!"

Is this referring to Lolita? As in, the book with the narrator that's infamous for being a prime example of "obviously full of shit and trying to rationalize his behavior not unlike a real nonce"? I mean, it having the intended effect from that perspective means I'd never be able to stomach reading it myself, but if he's hanging his hat on that, then...
(11-25-2022, 11:34 PM)Umbire Wrote:
(11-23-2022, 10:05 PM)robkelk Wrote: Bob, I'm going to wait until after you reply to this post (or tell me here that you aren't going to reply) before I mention that I'm also a writer.

I've already said my piece in reply to Max's most recent comment, but I have to ask...

"It's not just what they depict, it's that they have the gall to claim that it was the kids who were seducing the pedos!"

Is this referring to Lolita? As in, the book with the narrator that's infamous for being a prime example of "obviously full of shit and trying to rationalize his behavior not unlike a real nonce"? I mean, it having the intended effect from that perspective means I'd never be able to stomach reading it myself, but if he's hanging his hat on that, then...

This is getting annoying, and frankly, I'm not responding to further diatribes and whining about being forced to know we discuss things that are legal if not always moral, so I left this as our response:

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...j6bxdkve2t

If he still wants to complain, whatever, our position on this is crystal clear, but I will be the first one to hit the block button and make it stick for at least a year if he so much as defaces one page that offends him so greatly. If he can get over himself, well and good, I'd prefer to avoid it, but I will implement a harsh penalty first time if for no reason to make sure we do not admit a bluenose bowdleriser to cause mischief. Besides, his complaints are already handled by the Moderation extension allowing us to filter illegal or one-handed editing on certain morally unsavory topics, so it's a moot point this party is arguing.

Unrelated, but I pray all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, for those who have celebrated it as I have.