Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fic Recommendation Thread
Re: re: above
Quote:
A Second Chance at Life
After reading a little more than three chapters of this last night, I find that I'm leaning toward agreeing with Chris. It is crude and pretty badly done. Despite this I am currently still reading it. The technical skill may be lacking but am I curious about what happens next, and so far nothing in the plot, such as it is, has made me close the window in disgust. Then again, as I noted above, I am only three chapters in. It could easily get worse.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Re: re: above
Jedi Harris
Wow. Just discovered this one for the first time.
There went the workday. Fortunately not much that needed to be done.
Great story. Lots of cool cameos without overdoing it. Hoping to soon see more of SG-1 in it. [Image: smile.gif]
--
"Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of General Zod has been approved."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
re: infinity res
Yeah -- I just found fanficauthors last night and read most of their stories. Working my way through Sunset Over Britain atm. The only one I haven't liked so far among the epics has been the Paradigm shift yet. Anyone else have opinions on that one?
Diablo
I was looking at some of my author alerts in ff.net and decided to try sharing some recommendations on exotics categories, to start I would recommend what I think is the only good diablo fic I've been able to find.
The Road Less Travelled
In the story the author manages to tell a story dealing with many events in the game without either rushing or making the story a recap of the game.
Re: Diablo
Another interesting fic I found is the Hellblazer/BG2 cross called Hollow Years
(sorry for the double post)
fanficauthors.net
Re: Paradigm Shift by Kinsfire.
Kinsfire is an...odd author.
His characterization of Harry is very emotionally broken - HP has zero self esteem, and zero sense of self-worth. He never thinks he's good enough for anyone, or that was he wants counts.
Yet, he writes smut, when even a first-year psych student would tell you that sexing up a person like that is the *last* thing you do.
I do kind of like Family Matters, but that's mostly just fond memories of it being the first H/Hr fic I read.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Re: fanficauthors.net
Speaking of fanficauthors.net...
Hogwarts Tally Sheet, an amusing application of the theory behind the Marauder's Map.
And Quidditch Scores.*********
Touched By His Noodly Appendage
www.venganza.org
Never much liked Kinsfire's stuff for just those reasons. Disturbed and disturbing, and not in a happy-fun-insane way.
Crys' stuff, including his HP oneshots (vide Hogwarts Tally Sheet) on the other hand gets a rec. It's good.
Check out this guy: www.fanfiction.net/u/351939/
His body of work is a little uneven, but I like the Hellsing thing he's got in the works and his Diablo II story is decent enough.
Also, this guy's: www.fanfiction.net/u/20306/
Shattered Knight is a fun KOTOR story. Decently long, too, which is always a good point to mention.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Quote:
Hogwarts Tally Sheet,
I love it.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Timepiece, an interesting theory behind Sailor Pluto.*********
Touched By His Noodly Appendage
www.venganza.org
re: crys
Fantastic. ^_^ I went and read through all of Crys's stuff.
And Kinsfire I've given up on after trying out Sorceror's Apprentice. Ick indeed.
www.tuckerglenn.com/
Crossroads by Tucker Glenn is an ER/Division crossover. The main character is H. Cooper Finn, a narc from Texas PD, (who is in neither of the shows) but she does encounter ER and Division characters who play a major part in the story. Cooper's called into SF: 1) to do an internal investigation on a member of the SFPD (you can imagine how popular she is with the SFPD) which quickly starts getting ... complicated, and incidentally 2) go to counseling because of the recent death of her partner Jase on the job. It's a fairly long story clocking at over 80 chapters and there are some definite shockers in the plot and a fair amount of angst but also humor and action.
Eh... I don't think it'll be a problem but as a general warning, there are lesbian relationships in the story, such as the one between Kerry (Weaver) and Kim (Legaspi) of ER.
Re: timepeice
In a vaguely related vein, Sean Gaffney's Trials and Errors features an Ifurita-Pluto. It's a semi-sequel to Made of Stone, in that it's later in the same universe, but the major players of one are supporting cast in the other.
Puu as a specialized Ifurita is one of the more reasonable character fusions I can think of, based on duty cycle, weapon/accessory, and devotion to their designated master/queen. Like I said with the screen cap of a Macross Zero Anti-UN solder who looked like Iruka from Naruto, crossovers have been built on flimsier evidence.
- CDThat which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Legend of Uzumaki Naruto is a rather... interesting... story about Naruto getting thrown into the world of Warcraft.-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Quote:
Legend of Uzumaki Naruto is a rather... interesting... story about Naruto getting thrown into the world of Warcraft.

that sounds... sufficiently out of the box.... i'll try it..._____________________________
HK-47: "Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds"
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
crossovers
Cyclone's The Nighthawk Chronicles is a fun BtVS/Teen Titans crossover, of the Xander-insertion format. He's got several other stories with interesting looking summaries, but I've not gotten to them yet.
- CD
ETA: Troy Guffey has, amazingly enough, a reasonably tolerable BtVS/Power Rangers cross - and this from me, who can't take more than five minutes of MMPR stupidity.
That which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
Re: crossovers
Quote:
ETA: Troy Guffey has, amazingly enough, a reasonably tolerable BtVS/Power Rangers cross - and this from me, who can't take more than five minutes of MMPR stupidity.
O_o does this involve the MMPR being given dirty looks whenever they stop to pose before fighting the monster? _____________________________
HK-47: "Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds"
Tat would be the 'MMPR stupidity' that I can't take, and which is quite low key here. I don't think I need to read any more of this varient, but the 14k words or so that are in the one extant part are well enough self contained if you know the gbasics of the BtVS paradigm.
- CDThat which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
--
Go
www.fanfiction.net/s/1387722/1/
Brightly Burning by Aishuu is, imo, the best Hikaru no Go fanfic bar none. It's slow, yes, but well worth it, much like Wishweaver's Realizations. Most of the HnG fanfic out there centers on the relationships (probably because the authors can't play or can't write good go games). While there are relationships, there is also some fantastic writing of the go games, which clearly shows that this author has done her homework. AU -- a what if Hikaru never stepped into Touya Kouyo's salon, set after Sai's disappearance.
Re: Go
And back to fanficauthors.net...
Couple things of note going on there:
Kinsfire has started a work for NaNoWriMo called "Harry Potter and the Ties of Blood". Has its moments, but is the usual pity/angst/etc-fest he normally writes. I'm following just to see how long he can milk his weak premise.
Ishtar, on the other hand, is doing one called Fidelius, where Harry Potter becomes The Boy Who Vanished (according to the summary posted on BobMin's Yahoo Group).
Abraxan recently posted his latest uptdate to Time of Destiny, the sequel to The Refiner's Fire.

--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Re: crossovers
Regarding the MMPR/BTVS crossover. I actually considered one of those once(the idea is still in the backburner somewhere). It cast some of the MMPR villains(like Zedd, for example) as actually being Things From Beyond. And what they fought, only a SMALL piece of the reality. It was rather bleak and only took one character from MMPR and dumped him into the fight at the end of Season 5 Angel. No silly costumes here, though.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Quote:
This is a crossover between Stargate and Lilo and Stitch. Yes, it's every bit as screwy as it sounds.
And pretty funny. Thumbs up.

-- Bob
---------
some btvs
Matryoshka
An interesting AU with a rather harsh view of Buffy and Oz although sympathetic toward Xander, Willow, and Faith. Diverges after Season 3.
www.fanfiction.net/s/417626/1/
more btvs
Liz Mark's stuff is fantastic.
Whisper features a non-uber-powerful Xander (and ensemble), a demon godmother, a wish granted, and a Cinderella fairy tale. It's written as a mystery although since it's btvs, this mystery usually involves blood, gore, guts, and nasty suicide demons. But it's an intricate and poignant story of change and maturity.
www.livejournal.com/tools...filter=all
Living History is... wow. Off the wall funny what with Faith's... fun with the poor reporter, the reporter's asking some pointed questions and the innocent answers she's getting could be construed (and probably is) in other ways. On the other hand, like Whisper, it seems to be about finding one's way and finding who one is.
www.fanfiction.net/s/1460890/1/
FL: So there I am, naked, standing on top of this water tower screaming, "Top of the world Ma! Top of the world!"
UNS: "Top of the world?"
FL: It's a, whaddyacallit, mantra. Cagney is my god.
UNS: Cagney? Is he one of the Tara deities?
FL: God of Tough Guys, Mobsters, Molls, Rum-Runners, Bank Robbers, and Song-and-Dance Men. Oh, sometimes people who harvest grapefruit worship him, too.
UNS: A most interesting god.
FL: [shrugs] Takes all kinds to make the world go around.
Re: more btvs
If you want BTVS, check out my LJ:
www.livejournal.com/~jpublic
My friends list has such luminaries as
Liz Marcs
Mara Sho
BastardSnow
Nemo Gravis
Lori W Bush
Invisionary
M. McGregor
nwhepcat