Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Light In The Darkness (Quest fic- votes and critiques welcome!)

... When the GM asks "Are you sure about that?" it's a good time to think about risk vs. benefit analysis. What benefit, exactly, is likely to accrue from god-mode in a game where the premise looks like you're some kind of god anyway, versus the risk that has already seen the one tangible benefit of picking a high difficulty level removed due to trying to cheat too much? I'm against it.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Plan ClassicDrogn

We are quite probably in 'God mode'. Taking it off would mean being a normal person in non-existant universe. I.E. nothing.

Cancelled. Going with my new vote below. 
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.

Plan ClassicDrogn
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

When the GM asks, "Are you sure about that?", is such an overused meme that, unless your character has a specific advantage of 'common sense' or the like, it's likely a red-herring of some sort. All my best gaming experiences have been achieved by answering "Are you sure about that with:

Yes

No.
Test all the difficulty options to learn what each does.

Go to SECRET CHEAT MENU to check the options there.

We don't want to tempt the DM to do bad stuff, when we can find what we want there.

Seraviel's additions to Plan "Don't Push It" sound good to me.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

Seraviel's plan.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Votes tabulated.  Seraviel's plan passes.
Going back into the difficulty list, you see the following details.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

I never even heard of Heritic so I had no idea what you were getting at before.

Is that how cheats work in this game?

If that's the case, then...

Enter cheat code: mat_wireframe 3

If it works, then it will make life more interesting. If not, then nothing lost because I can't imagine the opposite for this being that terrible.

(Nope.  That's how 'not just *giving* you invulnerability' works in this game. Tongue
This cheat menu works more like Goldeneye than anything else.  You earn the cheat in game, and can then type it in to unlock it.  It actually wasn't part of the original design- I just had to do *something* to reward the 'when in doubt, Konami code' approach.
I might have to retcon the way it works in the next patch.  This is the Early Access version, after all. ^_^)

I've been writing a bit.

Ah, so more like how when you finally reach Mike Tyson in Punch-Out!, you can skip all the other hoopla and fight him right from the get-go.

Well, if this is the Early Access version, then maybe this will still be enabled.

Enter cheat code: debug
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

With the explanations given, the only thing I'm really interested in doing before moving on to a New Game is setting Difficulty to Old Testament, New Testament or Garden of Eden given that the true ending is only locked at the lowest level, depending on how much more or less of a challenge everyone else wants to face.
--

Plan Jorlem followed by changing difficulty to New Testament.

(Once this current plan goes through, does anybody mind if I go straight into starting a new game?  It feels like we're getting close to that point.)

I've been writing a bit.

Plan drogan niteflier

Plan ClassicDrogn, then Plan Bluemage
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Plan drogan niteflier then Plan Bluemage
-- Bob
---------

Votes tabulated.  (Honestly, you guys are making it pretty easy for me.  That Options bit was rough, but this is starting to feel possible.)
debug{Enter}
The screen goes black.
[A Light In The Darkness, version 0.11a][Automatic Debugging Utility]
[Sweeping Code...]
A line of periods slowly fills itself in, one by one, over the next few minutes.
[Code Swept.  Bugs Located.  Deploying Bug Spray...]
This time, instead of a row of periods indicating progress, a figure assembles itself before your eyes.
D>=G===' '.
|======|
|======|
)--/]IIIIII]
|_______|
C O O O D
C O O O D
C O O O D
C__O__O__O__D
[_____________]

[Spray Dispersed.  Sweeping Up Dead Bugs...][Performing Software Bug Removal...]
A number of other status messages flash across the screen, most of them too quickly to be read.  You think you catch a few.[Reticulating Splines][Cleaning Up Memory Leaks][Feeding War-Llama Mounts][Optimizing Runtimes]
Then the messages stop, and a final report is printed.
[Debugging Complete.][12,876 insects removed.  37 hives destroyed.  82 walls replaced due to termite damage.][15 major errors removed from code.  87 minor glitches preempted.][Press Enter to continue.]
You press Enter, and are returned to the title screen.  This time, you go to Options, set the difficulty to "New Testament", apply the changes, and then start a new game.

I've been writing a bit.

[What is?I am.Who am I?This collection of thoughts is me.  I am the one who is.]
And then there was light.  Silver light, scintillating endlessly as it suffused you; insubstantial, and yet infused with a crushing sense of totality.  
As the light waxed again and again, spilling forth from the thought at the center of your being, new thoughts fall into place.  They accumulate around your core, building up like the layers of a pearl- how did you know what a pearl was?- until at last you feel a sense of completion.  The light wraps around you, forming a screen of silver at the edge of existence, and goes still... but you can still feel it.
Much of the silver light is wrapped around you... but some of it remains loose, pooled at the core of your being.  It feels... purposeless, like it's waiting to accomplish something.  You get the feeling that if you were to call it, it would answer to you... but why?  For what?
What do you do?  (If you choose this option, write in what you want to do with it.)

I've been writing a bit.

Focus on where the light and yourself are attached.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

If you would know your enemy, first know yourself. It appears the first conflict will be against the (empty?) environment, but that requires the means to understand and affect it. Introspection time: Let's set our own mind in order before we try imprinting our will upon the cosmos.
--

ClassicDrogn's plan
-- Bob
---------

ClassicDrogn's plan
"Not this again!" Minerva said. "Albus, it was You-Know-Who, not you, who marked Harry as his equal. There is no possible way that the prophecy could be talking about you!" - Harry Potter and the Method of Rationality, Chapter 84

(This is my 'if I have free time' project, so sorry about the delay.  I'm eventually planning to shift it to an every-weekend thing.)
Votes tabulated.  Path chosen.
You are.  You know that.  You remember every event that has happened in your brief existence, from the moment when you came into being, to this very moment.  But what are you?
Feeling your new self out, you quickly answer a number of your questions.  You are a sphere, approximately ten inches in diameter.  The very center of your being contains two things- a single thought, and the pool of silver light.  You touch the thought at your center-

-and feel yourself overcome by a sudden belief in your own existence.
Around the pool of light at your core is a ramshackle, disorganized collection of indefinables.  One moment, they remind you of driftwood on a beach.  The next, you're struck with their resemblance to the sort of dams that animals build across rivers- large objects spanning an area, the spaces between them filled by smaller objects.  The next, you see them as the framework built across an endless chasm, a foundation for something greater.
Then you touch one- a more recent addition to the pile-
[i]-two objects at my core.  I know about the light, but what happens when I touch-

-and pull your mind's grasp back in shock.  Memories!  These are my memories!
Why are there so many of them, though?
Reaching out, you begin to touch as many of your memories as you can... only to find that the vast majority of them don't fit your current situation at all.  Instead, it seems more as if you've been given -remembered- somebody else's -your previous- life.
Who are you?Write this one in.  The more you give me, the better.  Make sure to include a name, a race, some character traits, and a sense of what sort of first life the person had.(The character you choose here will determine the units and abilities you gain access to, so choose wisely.)[/i]

I've been writing a bit.