Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supreme Court fails to get it
Supreme Court fails to get it
http://www.slate.com/id/2216608/

Several thoughts:

It really does seem like the SC Justices just don't understand what middle school was like for girls. I don't get this idea of girls walking about
locker rooms in underwear... I remember spending a lot of time staring at my locker and trying to change as fast as possible in very convoluted ways. I think
everyone perfected the changing under a shirt technique or if you couldn't, you went to a bathroom stall to change. They just don't seem to realize how
body conscious kids are at that age and how traumatizing it would be to have to be even partially naked in front of an adult at that age, much less more as in
this case.

For that matter, the ASUC lawyer should counter sue the school administration for sexual harassment and assault. Since when can 13 year olds give consent to
strip anyway? Last I heard, they can't. Even doctors can't just order kids into a room to strip. At the very least, one of the kid's parents should
have been called and been there as well to not only give permission but also to monitor the proceedings.

Lastly, this group seems to have the brains of a rock. You've searched her backpack, her desk, her pockets and can't find anything based on an
uncorroborated report from another student. How does someone jump from that to we should search her underwear? No one even thinks maybe she just doesn't
have it or maybe the other kid lied? Apparently the horror of advil pills means immediate strip searching is necessary. And after all that, they don't even
find it.

Ugh. What a ridiculous case and sadly enough, seems like it'll be ruled in favor of the school administration.