Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New fic Recommendations vs. Hanoi Xan and the World Crime League

[Warning, the following link is to a TVTropes page. You have been warned.]To be fair, Morganni, The Little Shop that Wasn't There Yesterday is a fairly ancient trope as such things go. The specific variant, if I'm reading it right, that you dislike is the malicious protagonist hosing?''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beatthem unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''-- James Nicoll

Foxboy Wrote:[Warning, the following link is to a TVTropes page. You have been warned.] To be fair, Morganni, The Little Shop that Wasn't There Yesterday is a fairly ancient trope as such things go. The specific variant, if I'm reading it right, that you dislike is the malicious protagonist hosing?
Spells'R'Us started out as a series of erotic horror stories. The "protagonist hosing" was the point.------------------Epsilon

On the first chapter, maybe I was remembering the original by drozd and skipping over the 'modifications'. Unfortunately I don't seem to have the
original message from the CaerAzkaban group anymore to see if that was wishful thinking or not. Reading the first chapter in full again...I'm not liking
it as much but it did have promise.

I do believe Doghead thirteen has come up with another winner. He has posted Chapter One of a New HP fic titled Enter the Dragon on Rorschach's Caer Azkaban yahoo group,
and it is frelling hilarious.

my own summary: Being taken along when his relatives went on vacation was a rare new experience for eight year old Harry Potter. But one accident with some
standing stones later, new experiences became the order of the day. Life as a hatchling Greater Dragon isn't easy.

Login is required for this story.

Quote: Jinx999 wrote:

You know, this thread isn't persuading me to read any of Skysaber's work . . .
His recent stuff is a bit blah, but the older stuff is entertaining for a while at least. Take a story, read it until you can't stand it
anymore, move on to the next, rince and repeat.

In a similar vein is Metroanime's stuff, with the main difference that while everything goes right for Skysaber's SI, Metroanime's (named Grey) is
the buttmonkey of the universe and nothing ever goes right.

Mind you, I've been a huge fan of SI stories for quite a while several years back, their stuff got read during that period, and that was at the beginning
of my Fanfiction reading years. I might be biased and/or seeing it through the rose coloured lenses of hazy memories.

I gave up on skysabers fanfiction a long time ago...His character bash rants and periodic bouts of paranoia from him and some of his fans got annoying
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4155819/1/Fifth_Column

BT / BSG with a smudge of BTVS. The BTVS isn't really there in so much as their characters' appearance and general personality are ... involved.
Overall though, this is a pretty fun and funny series with lots of battle royales and factions.

When you get down to it Skysaber's biggest issue is he obsesses over one single issue... summed up his operating theory is: 'Mind rape makes everything
better!'... That is usually what goes on... he mind controls most of the cast and then ends up as the Uber. Once he runs out of people to smother he quits
the fic... for a while at least. Though some character's escape his grasp... Akane Tendo for instance... his plots are mainly driven by him smothering the
world in his Awesome. These characters that won't smother are the ones he concentrates on bashing... they simply won't bow to his will. Which means
the image he has of them is so powerful his ego can't smother that character's personality in his mind. Which is why I think they get targeted for
destruction... they challenge the Great, Grand, Will of Skysaber!... this description would include the adjective 'Omnipotent', save for these
mountains of Anti-Elvis that will not bow in his own head. That the unbending image he has is often based on bad fanon caricatures of characters is largely
irrelevant.

I've described this as a sociopathic tenancy in the past. He is smarter and better than everyone else, in his own mind. Resistance is useless and as soon
as someone disproves this he freaks out... either directing the entire plot toward smothering this derelict character or yelling at the person and calling them
wrong... if this doesn't work and the people/person resists bowing anyway, he freaks further and makes whatever point he is driving home more dynamic and
prevalent in his mind and writing. If this still doesn't work... or he ran out of 'evidence' of his opinion... he runs away from the story or
writing for a few months or even years. Free Will that doesn't mirror his own is like his personal Kryptonite... and works like a holy symbol on the
undead.

In short, if he was put in one of his own scenarios and ended up 6 in a classroom and was in a total honesty field... when asked what he wanted to be when he
grew up... I think the real answer would be:

"I want to be a Borg Queen when I grow up!"

Not to say he is mindless or useless as a writer, he has been entertaining for hundreds of kilobytes a story in the past... its just he is the guy who wrote
like a meg, meg and a half of 'Mirrors Multiplied' and then revealed the point was to set up a scenario were he could get away with stating that Akane
is the irredeemable, anti-Elvis. Of course this came after he got declared Super Sameria heritage man and got to have infinity +34,922 legal wives from it...
which consisted of most of the female, atrractive, named characters from pretty much every anime series he had watched. Minus the anti-Elvis.

One of the reasons I'm still entertained by Perfect Lionheart's 'Chunin Exam Day' is that that Skysaber tribute band apparently has a muse that
is beating some of this out of him. I mean the story stalled as he tried to prove Sakura the unchanging anti-Elvis. Only to find out that he got writer's
block for trying to do so. In fact, he broke Sakura's mindless fangirlism several times before it stuck and even went out of his way to make sure the
endlessly looping Naruto actually gave major indications of being insane and crazy and loony at the same time. Later he actually had other characters yelling
at him and arguing with his decisions. Things even go spectacularly wrong all the time. In otherwords things happen to keep it intresting.

Basically, I think 'Chunin Exam Day' is like 'Dances with Wolves'... regardless of what else he has done... that one movie validated Kevin
Costner's career.

Clell65619 has the first chapter of a new Harry Potter story, The Truth, up at ff.net. Looks pretty good, a rather well-done take on the "Harry is forced to take a harem" story, with some serious thought behind hit. I'm looking forward to seeing chapter two.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Oh man, there's an absolutely insane crackfic that I really hope isn't going to be only one chapter, simply because it has so much potential.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5477537/1/

It's an Hellsing and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha fusion titled Three Thousand Four Hundred And Eighteen. The official summary is:

Quote: Have you ever considered what it would look like if Nanoha was a

horrifically powerful being, constrained by binding which prevented her from

accessing her full power, and she was absolutely terrifying. Uh... more so

than usual. Certainly a crackfic.
And my favourite bit is this:

Quote: The woman gazed up at the moon, its luminescence reflected in her eyes, a faint grin; not one of malevolence, but of the honest pleasure from doing a job one
loves, painted across her face.

"How beautiful," she remarked. "Nights like this... they make me want to make some friends. Yes," and her voice shifted, "I
couldn't imagine a more perfect evening."

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2251511/1/Ghost_Girl

Assassin girl. Lots of enemies. Mature / dark themes.

Considering that it was inspired by this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HNTpPFGI8U

I'm not too surprised....

Quote: The Hunterminator wrote:

Oh man, there's an absolutely insane crackfic that I really hope isn't going to be only one chapter, simply because it has so much potential.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5477537/1/

It's an Hellsing and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha fusion titled Three Thousand Four Hundred And Eighteen. The official summary is:

Quote: Have you ever considered what it would look like if Nanoha was a

horrifically powerful being, constrained by binding which prevented her from

accessing her full power, and she was absolutely terrifying. Uh... more so

than usual. Certainly a crackfic.
And my favourite bit is this:

Quote: The woman gazed up at the moon, its luminescence reflected in her eyes, a faint grin; not one of malevolence, but of the honest pleasure from doing a job
one loves, painted across her face.

"How beautiful," she remarked. "Nights like this... they make me want to make some friends. Yes," and her voice shifted, "I
couldn't imagine a more perfect evening."

--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

Anyone read "Time Braid" by ShaperV? I couldn't find any mention with the board's search function, but on the other hand I never could get
the hang of the keyword thing.

It borrows Perfect Lionheart's time-looped Chunin Exam idea but actually has drama and plot. I found its 7 chapters more interesting than "Chunini
Exam Day" with 70 chapters.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5193644/1/Time_Braid

-Freddy Isnot

"Share and enjoy"
-Freddy Isnot

"You are now graduated from newbie and are just clueless. Consider that a compliment."
-Zipcode

I read Time Braid, yes, and a couple of ShaperV's other fics as well. It's probably the best implementation of that concept I've seen yet (there is
at least one more of them somewhere, but it wasn't good enough for me to bother remembering where).

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5483234/1/Exchange_Student

AMG / Negima. Skuld is about to join class 3-A.

Ask Me No Questions

A new fic by Nugar, author of People Lie...maybe.

Team Lie, Sakura and Neji replace their canon selves, in a canonlike world.

I'm not sure if this is really a new fic, or a continuation of People Lie, but he made it a different story on FF.net, so I'm putting this in this
thread. He says he's discontinuing People Lie for the time being, but I don't believe him.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Quote: Jorlem wrote:

Ask Me No Questions

A new fic by Nugar, author of People Lie...maybe.

Team Lie, Sakura and Neji replace their canon selves, in a canonlike world.

I'm not sure if this is really a new fic, or a continuation of People Lie, but he made it a different story on FF.net, so I'm putting this in this
thread. He says he's discontinuing People Lie for the time being, but I don't believe him.
Enh. It's Nugar. Lies happen. More of Team Lie is good, and, well... Lie!Orochimaru is Nyarlathotep, after all, and if there's one
universal constant anywhere, it's that Nyarlathotep Is A Dick.

Looks interesting so far.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I've put Time Braid on my alerts. Given that Naruto seems to have intersected Sakura's path a second time (I'm sure he's had an interesting
time, having intersected both Sasuke and Hinata), do you think we've seen everyone in the loop?

Pronounced "shy guy."

New Cat Tales story from Chris Dee: Do No Harm, which is billed as "Untold Tales from the first year of Bruce and Selina's Relationship".

-- Bob
---------

Blood, Silk and Steel

A:TLA AU. It wasn't Sokka's mother who died, it was his father. The result is a very different young man.

Quote: An hour later all the color had drained out of Zuko's face and he stared at his uncle with horror.

"You're wrong Uncle," he said. "Sokka's my best friend and one of the most decent human beings on the planet."

"No," Iroh countered gravely, "Sokka, decent human being or not, is Azula's best friend, and no friend of Azula is a friend of
yours."

"Sokka was my friend first, and in any case, I'm entirely in his debt. Who knows how things would have turned out if Sokka hadn't handed me
the Avatar. You and I might have become refugees in the Earth Kingdom, and I might never have had my throne restored to me."

"Wake up Prince Zuko!" Iroh answered, "Your father has absolutely no intention of making you Fire Lord, and to be quite frank, I doubt he
ever did. It's no secret that Azula has always been his favorite, and if he had really any intention of making you his heir it would be you, not Sokka,
at the helm of the navy in this upcoming attack on the Northern Water Tribe."

Knives in the Dark

A:TLA AU told from Sokka and Mai's perspective. Neither of them wants to be doing Azula's dirty work... but dirty work is what they do.

Quote: "I am Princess Azula of the Fire Nation." Her tone was impressive, and intimidating. She obviously intended to cow this man before locking him
up and explaining the new status quo to him.

"Well, it is a pleasure to meet you, Princess, but I must confess I received no word of your coming. Is there a reason for your surprise
visit?"

My respect for this guy just spiked. He was openly sarcastic to Princess Azula.

Bloody Hell.

Azula looked surprised again. I guess that this wasn't how she had expected things to go.

"While I am of course honoured to host the daughter of the Fire Lord, I am afraid that you have me at something of a disadvantage. Indeed, I am only
up because Bosco was hungry. But enough about my troubles- would you care for some refreshment? There is some really quite excellent wine I have been saving
for an occasion such as this." His tone was polite to the point where it became obvious he was openly taking the piss. Not only that, but he kept eye
contact with Azula the entire time, never once flinching as she got angrier and angrier.

This guy has some serious balls.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

dogbertcarroll's got a new 2-chapter short that mixes Buffy and Doctor Who into a cute little bit of lime-flavored froth: First Do Know Harm.

-- Bob
---------

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Father Knows
Best

AU. It's amazing what a few negative opinions on the review board will do. One small
change changes everything, much like the butterfly causing a hurricane. That and makes things somewhat more complicated on the romantic end.

This is a rather neat AU which really needs to be read to be believed. This is the first episode and the third has just been started.

Quote:

"What the Hell is that?!"

"That's Unit 01," the Commander responds, "And you have been chosen as it's pilot."

He smirks, pushing up his glasses slightly, as Fuyutsuki walks up beside him.

"Shinji Ikari," he says, "I am Supreme Commander Pieter Sohryu. Welcome to NERV. Get ready to save the world."

Origin Story, or, Harry Potter becomes a super hero the right way.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be giggling to myself over there.

Quote: DreadnaughtVV wrote:

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Father Knows
Best

AU. It's amazing what a few negative opinions on the review board will do. One small
change changes everything, much like the butterfly causing a hurricane. That and makes things somewhat more complicated on the romantic end.

This is a rather neat AU which really needs to be read to be believed. This is the first episode and the third has just been started.
OMG... The interaction between Asuka, her father, and Rei is nothing short of cracktastic! READ THIS FIC!

ETA: oh, and this ought to go in somebody's sig.

Quote: "The science community has a simple phrase to explain Second Impact."

"Really?"

"Shit Happens. Next slide."
EETA: Dreadnaught, you have severely understated the cracktastic-awesomeness of this fic. It is easily on par with Neon Exodus Evangelion in terms of pure awesome with extra crack thrown in to make up for the loss of the cross-over-awesome.
I'm in the middle of the second episode and at this point I simply cannot recommend this read enough.

A Cook and a Linguist - buffy/sg1 crack...

-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.