Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3D modeling resources thread

OK, got my renewal fixed.... on my freaking own. And got the Supersuit expansions (belt, boots, cape).

However, while they're slowly getting things fixed, things still aren't stable by my lights. They're going to have to get things cleaned up backstage soonish, or I might be reviewing my options for other places to get Genesis-compatible content. I'm starting to wonder if Smith-Micro really had the right idea in declining adding Genesis support to Poser... it's nice technology, but with regards to the company, to quote Alan Bradley, "More bugs than a bait store."
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

And then they fixed the PC renewals, so I wound up with two. Combine this with three weeks in with major issues still present, and a seeming lack of communication... I just cancelled the PC completely. I'll reup when they get the site shaken out. Maybe.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Reality spotlights - the photographer's spotlight prop works in Poser and Daz Studio, but the light only works in Reality.

(It shouldn't be too difficult to include a Daz Studio spot light where the spotlight's bulb is...)

http://www.sharecg.com/v/...5/3D-Models/RealitySpots
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Lights in DAZ/Poser vs Reality
Just a Reality-FYI.  Lights in Reality work entirely differently in Reality than they do in DAZ/Poser.
To get the same, basic effect that you would using Reality, you'd want to use a distant light in DAZ.  Also, you can set material zones to be lights in Reality.  (Which is how I do lightsabers.)
In the majority of the pictures I render through Reality, I only use one light--the Sun.
On the other hand, you can define each light to their own category (not recommended on low-processor computers), and play with the lights while the image is rendering.

I knew that. However, I don't know how to get a Daz Studio distant light to appear to come from a point source in the render (in this case, the light bulb in the prop), which is why I said "spot light" instead.
--
Rob Kelk

New outfit by manomano: raincoat for A3

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/mamomamo_2007/d/20120617
--
Rob Kelk

Free moose! (Cue the Monty Python and the Holy Grail opening-credit jokes...)

[Image: MooseFamily.jpg]
--
Rob Kelk

Got a Daz Studio scene file, but no Daz Studio? Or maybe you just don't like the Daz Studio render options?

%[link=http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/2877/]Render in Blender]...

Still in the Platinum Club? Check your newsletter - there's now a monthly freebie for PC members. This month: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/r ... 4364/start]Steam Aircraft "Dragon"

This part isn't a resource, it;'s an observation.

A mere 16 months ago, I thought http://web.ncf.ca/fm536/fenspace/The%20 ... Kalaan.png]this render of mine was a pretty good image for a quick render.

Today, I see so many problems with http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50& ... board_id=1]this render of mine... which didn't take me much longer to put together than the earlier scene did. (The render time was much longer, but the composition time wasn't.)

From experience with writing and photography, when I start seeing the problem areas instead of the good parts, I'm starting to get good... How much longer until I get really good and start seeing the good parts of my work again?
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:From experience with writing and photography, when I start seeing the problem areas instead of the good parts, I'm starting to get good... How much longer until I get really good and start seeing the good parts of my work again?
You don't. Or rather, you learn to recognize that the art needs to escape the continued process of improvements...
--

Getting Better
Just keep at it Rob
I always use Mike Oldfield's advice for art; which paraphrased down to the simplest form is "I have learned what not to do."  You will always find mistakes and could-have-should-have-would-haves in your work.  Practice does not make perfect, it just makes better.
Cheers,
Shayne

Right - "perfect is the enemy of good" and all that. Thanks, guys.
--
Rob Kelk

For those still in the Platinum Club, the July freebie is "Steam Truck Red Bizon":

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/steam-truck-red-bizon/

(I found this out through the forums, not from the PC newsletter. Thus, I'll continue to report these here as I discover them so that everybody else who's entitled to these freebies can get them, until my Platinum Club membership runs out in January. (I have enough non-$1.99 Daz Originals on my wishlist to use up all of the monthly $6 gift certificates I'll be receiving for the rest of my prepaid membership, so I may as well stay aboard for now. Whether I renew depends on if and how they change the club...))
--
Rob Kelk

August Platinum Club freebie: Motorbike Viking

Oh and they've finally figured out how to set their new forum software's thread sort order to "most recent post" instead of "original post". And they found the switch for enabling avatars... so I made one.
--
Rob Kelk

Wow, and it's been, what, two months since their forum software went live? I already stopped going there, and I've found that once I stop using a forum, it's almost impossible to start going again with anything resembling regularity.

That, and the last time I stopped by to pick up a freebie (the magic box prop set), it took me three tries to get their store software to actually provide it.
--

To be fair, making sure the forums work aren't their top priority - making sure the store works has to come first. If they don't have revenue, they can't fix either the store or the forums...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:To be fair, making sure the forums work aren't their top priority - making sure the store works has to come first. If they don't have revenue, they can't fix either the store or the forums...
Well, true... but given the amount of time it's taken them to do that, combined with all the issues with Platinum Club (renewal breaking, reduced perks), and the fair lack of transparency from my point of view during the software changeover... yeah. I understand the "rock and a hard place" regarding needing to get the changeover done sooner than later, but it didn't seem like it went off very well at all.

Of course, in that time, I've moved back to Poser as my render engine, and found it's better in my personal workflow. I'm probably going to use DAZ Studio for Fenspace stuff, only because I built the Jeph Antilles setup on Genesis for the ease of creating the gender-bending aspect. I haven't experimented yet with exporting anything Genesis into Poser, either by CR2 or by outright OBJ export, but I might yet.
--

A little something I noticed on my semi-annual visit to DeviantArt...

http://greywolf-starkille...arkiller%2F27121311&qo=1

http://greywolf-starkille...arkiller%2F27121311&qo=0
--
Rob Kelk

JFerio Wrote:That, and the last time I stopped by to pick up a freebie (the magic box prop set), it took me three tries to get their store software to actually provide it.
Want to try again? "Dystopian Weapon Cache 1" is now available for free, for all, for free:
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dystopian-weapon-cache-1/
--
Rob Kelk

I grabbed that... and the grill when it was on free last week.
In other news, mCasual has released his new boots, and earlier a leotard, for Aiko 3. Loaded with morphs. I've done some internal tests with the leotard in Poser, and thus far I find it usable.
--

Yep - I would have mentioned that, but I was busy updating the Big List of A3 Freebies...
--
Rob Kelk

In case anybody was wondering "What happened to Reality?", wonder no more...

And mCasual has released a new swinsuit for A3:
http://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts2/mcja3
--
Rob Kelk

Damn, Rob, that's going to be a hell of a blow, given the number of people who were using DAZStudio and shopping at DAZ. Nice that it's still available, though, and I understand he has a Poser version in the works on top of it.

Ultimately, as my friend Myk-El just put it upon reading that, "From what you have told me, DAZ has no interest in reality. Smile" (Sorry, I had to, it was just too good.)
--

I can haz posez!

http://www.sharecg.com/v/...ser/Odd-Poses-for-MilCat
--
Rob Kelk

September Platinum Club bonus: Juggling Act for V4
--
Rob Kelk