Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, here we go again.

Oh, no not at all. It's just I don't need quite so much feast to be the opposite of my famine.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

The greatest thing about feasts is that you have choices.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

To continue the analogy well beyond the point where it's useful, the problem was I spent so much time fending off the people trying to shove stuff I didn't want into my mouth that I hardly had time to reach for things I did want.

And who knows, maybe I overreacted. But it's not like I can't turn'em back on again, one at a time, until I reach the Goldilocks point.
-- Bob
---------

Welcome to the strange world where everyone wants a piece of you. *grin*
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

As a metric of just how different the job market is these days, I have my first in-person interview with an employer (as opposed to a recruiter) on Monday. In addition, one more wants to schedule a technical phone interview with me, also on Monday (however, I just got her message a few minutes after she said "call me by", so I have to get back to her and figure out when I can actually do it). Beyond that, I'm submitted to four other companies and am awaiting the results of the first round of hiring manager screening in each.
-- Bob
---------

Yeah.

The economy in general in the last 6 months is just nuts. We've basically had an explosion of jobs come in in the last few months. It's like a lightswitch got turned on somewhere. I've even been getting soft nibbles from headhunters.... one of which was from a company I interviewed with, failed to get the job, and after working alongside them on jobsites am glad I didn't

In an hour I'll be on the road to my interview. And I've done my best not to work myself up into a fit of anxiety over the past few days, but it hasn't exactly worked completely.
-- Bob
---------

Good Luck!

Thanks. I managed to be calm, thankfully. And the interview ran double the scheduled length, so I think things went well. However, I won't know until next week whether I am on the "short list" or not.
-- Bob
---------

That's usually a good sign.... well, in at least in the one time I had an interview overrun by that long I got the job.

Update... I finally sat down and collected up all the individual threads and realized that I'm in the pipeline right now for seven different jobs. I think it's time to scale back the excess nervous energy...
-- Bob
---------

Or maybe channel some of that energy into writing...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Oddly enough, I just said the same thing to Peggy in the car this afternoon...

Oh, and about two and a half hours ago I got through a phone interview for a very nice job nearby. While I don't think I impressed as much as I would have liked, at least I didn't embarrass myself...
-- Bob
---------

Two of the jobs have dropped out of the pipeline, but I had an interview for a new one on Friday (working at a place with GIANT ROBOTS -- okay, industrial robots, but still on the large side) and I have another interview tomorrow morning for another new job, bringing me back up to seven. At least until one or more recruiters gets back to me with bad news...
-- Bob
---------

Further update for those who care:

Another of the jobs (the oldest one) has dropped out of the pipeline. The one I interviewed at last Friday, with the GIANT ROBOTS, doesn't want me for the position I interviewed for, but as a Business Analyst in position that doesn't yet exist. A major IT consulting firm contacted me this week about a job at their Trenton office, and I've gone through two phone interviews with them and am now confirmed headed for a 2nd round interview early next week. And I'm waiting to hear back after a F2F interview at a consulting firm on Monday.

It's been exactly one month since I lost my job, and I've just recapitulated the size of my entire 2009-2011 job hunt. Whew.
-- Bob
---------

Cool. Just remember: As a mentor of mine said: you only need to remember a number. One! The number of job offers you accepted.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Just finished second-round interview with the major consulting firm, and it sounds like I'm heading to the final round F2F interview. More on this as it develops.
-- Bob
---------

So Bob, what news from the job hunt front?
I decided to see if I can arrange a transfer back to California. My mother just turned 79 this April and her health is starting to fade. My bosses are understanding and said that I can request a transfer, but it is dependent if there is an opening in California. Lucky for me, an opening showed up at the next higher position and several openings for the same position has opened up in several places in California at the same pay grade. So my course of action right now is this:
Plan 1. Apply for the same higher position, same agency in California or adjacent states.
Plan 2. Arrange for a transfer to the same agency, same position in California or adjacent steps, if a slot opens up in California (if #1 gets chosen from someone in California or adjacent states and his slot opens up)
Plan 3. Apply to a higher position, different agency in California or adjacent states.
Plan 4. Apply for the same position, different agency in California or adjacent states.
I just went through an interview for Plan 4 and interview for Plan 1 is next week. I'm setting up for Plan 2 during the interview.for Plan 1.
The good thing for me is that there is no urgency to the search since I still have a job. And there are advantages to being "in system" and a veteran when it comes to job preferences. So, here's hoping!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:So Bob, what news from the job hunt front?
Let's see... Got submitted today to a major bank; we'll see if that leads to anything. Still waiting for word back from the consulting firm. I have a face-to-face scheduled for Wednesday morning at a marketing firm. I've dropped a couple openings from my live leads list simply because it's been too long since I heard back from them, and the recruiters involved haven't returned my emails. The GIANT ROBOT firm is trying to fill the position I interviewed for before they do anything about creating the Business Analyst position they want to put me in. I think that's all the news.

Good to see you have a plan, Ord, good luck with it.
-- Bob
---------

I'll need all the luck I can get. And same to you.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Good luck both of you!
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.

Update. Just got off the phone from an interview with a firm not far from me. I did very well on the tech questions and even caught the interviewer in an error. And he turned out to be a former coworker of mine at A.M. Best -- he was there for a year a decade or so back, and I actually recognized his name; we spent the last five minutes of the phone call reminiscing about people we both knew and commiserating about some of the oddities of A.M. Best's management style. I'll know by Thursday if I go on to a F2F there, but I think I have an edge.
Edit:  Oh, and I had another phone interview this morning, and I have a F2F with a marketing firm tomorrow morning -- but I'm having second thoughts about that one as checking the route on Google maps this morning during rush hour revealed that the 40-minute drive I was expecting was actually more like an hour five during the time I'd be driving every morning...
-- Bob
---------

Keep working that old-boys' network, Bob!
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Keep working that old-boys' network, Bob!
You know the old say..is not what you know, but who you know!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Off to the F2F in a few minutes. Google Maps tells me the travel time dropped from 1:03 to 0:47 over the last half hour, so the drive will be better than I expected. But the rush hour drive is not endearing itself to me.
-- Bob
---------