Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dragon Quest I Remake (by GethN7)

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Cool.

Oh, I meant to tell you -- you've got (or had, maybe) one weird non-euclidean arrangement in Tantegel town: one of the shops (armor, IIRC) could be entered through several different buildings, but exiting always dropped you outside the door to the one building marked as the armor shop.

Fixed in Beta 1.0, bad copypasta of event code that went horribly wrong in Alpha 0.5 and earlier.

Cool. Haven't unpacked the beta yet, maybe this afternoon.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Small but important change, download this branch for my latest beta:

http://github.com/Arcane21/DW1-Remake/tree/Beta-1.01

I was forced to encrypt the game project files to comply with the legal terms governing reuse of the Effectus script, so from this branch onward, only encrypted archives will be uploaded for public evaluation.

Working on Beta 2.0, this one I will be taking even more time to work on because I plan to further refine all existing content as well as add all of the Kol landmass, most to all of the Rimuldar continent, and if things go well, finally add the Garin's Tomb dungeon as well.

Beta 2.0 is steadily progressing, but will still be awhile since I'm not only adding a lot more interaction and refinement to existing areas, I'm also adding new features. Some I plan to keep under my hat for now, but here is the confirmed new stuff you can expect to see I am comfortable releasing;

* Noob tutorial: If you're just starting out, I added an NPC that will approach you once you leave the throne room who will offer a brief tutorial on game features. You can accept or decline, and you can always hunt them down for another run through if need be.

* WAY MORE TILESET variety: I decided to browse a ton of blogs and forums as well as put money down on some DLC, and there will be much more variety in tileset decor.

* Emosets: Or, face portraits with emotions. This way, I can write less script like dialogue. Many characters will receive these when and where possible.

* Interactive NPCs: This time, there will be NPCs who do more than say the same stuff over and over. Some will have multitiered dialogue, and some of it is planned to have consequences, so choose your words wisely.

* Revamped crafting!: My old crafting system sucked. My new one can be used from the menu and comes with a list of all recipes and ingredients, no more hunting down recipes. Also, more recipe choices will be available.

I just had to release a beta early for legal reasons. Turns out my iconset was of very legally dubious quality (it had rips of tons of stuff without bothering to credit anyone), so I had to replace it with a quick and dirty redo from a more legally quantifiable source.

So here's Beta 1.12:

http://github.com/Arcane21/DW1-Remake/tree/Beta-1.12

It isn't further along storywise than the previous beta, but it contains a lot of my improvements mentioned in the previous post, so if you want an early sneak preview of what I planned for the full Beta 2.0, well, here you go.

Some of the icons may not work very well, but I had to quick and dirty change everything, will clean this up as much as I can when the proper beta I planned on releasing is ready.

Alright, progress on my game has slowed to a crawl since Orain went pear shaped, but since that seems to be clearing up, I plan to resume work on it.

I can confirm in the next beta, you can meet Roto's parents and the village of Kol will be essentially complete. I'm also considering releasing more interquel betas instead of large ones since the Orain situation has staggered my production schedule.

Beta 1.30 is currently being beta tested, and while I don't have an exact ETA, I can promise the following features:

* Cutscene skipping: Skip that first cutscene instead of having to suffer through the entire text scroll when you start a new game.

* Tons of new custom art: I have personally replaced most of the older art with higher quality stuff, including all of the main characters

* Class Change system has been implemented: As in, you'll finally get to use it.

* Return/Outside spells still slightly buggy, currently hammering out the issues, hope to have that stable by release.

* Fog effects on some maps.

* Many more NPCs with special conversations, and even more books and lore building has been added.

* 2/5ths of my main world map will be complete, except for dungeons meant to be entered later in the story.

Beta 1.3 is ready:

http://github.com/Arcane21/DW1-Remake/tree/Beta-1.3

Changes include:

* A lot more custom graphics, including totally new graphics for all the main characters that were using stock assets before.

* All areas of the main landmass (save Garin's Tomb) and the Kol region (save the Tower of Kol and the Sun Shrine between the main and Kol regions) are complete.

* If you complete an optional dungeon, find an item in it, and bring it back to Tera in the castle, you can unlock a class change for Mara. Warning, optional dungeon is long and hard.

* Outside/Return spells are still kinda buggy, avoid using them in unintended situations, as I cannot guarantee against weird game behavior.

* Kol has been fairly well fleshed out for the most part, and I added a few custom events and diary to Roto's house that will update the further along in your quest, so in later builds check up on it from time to time.

* The opening cutscene can be skipped now, see readme for details.

I've been following this thread for a while now and finally decided to download the game to try it out, I've been a fan of the Dragon Quest series for a long time with 4,5,6 having a happy place on my shelf..just need to get a new DS to actually play them again

I will say I do like searching every nook and cranny around the starting castle and spent a good 15 minutes doing so and hadn't quite finished exploring it because of a bug that forced me to quit and I'll be restarting again after I finish this post.

What happened was I was hunting around the castle for hidden goodies and had just picked up my 5th medal in the chest beside the turn in girl and went upstairs just to the north of that room and after some dialogue messed around in that Crystal shooting game for a few minutes, hitting escape to back out of it I went back downstairs only to find myself in a middle of just ..-Green- in all directions with my sprites standing in the middle, it was showing one of the castles rooms just to the south amist the field of green but I could not move in any way shape or form and could not interact with my menus at all.

Needless to say I'll be avoiding that room my next attempt. Still I've liked what I've saw so far!

Terrenceknight Wrote:I've been following this thread for a while now and finally decided to download the game to try it out, I've been a fan of the Dragon Quest series for a long time with 4,5,6 having a happy place on my shelf..just need to get a new DS to actually play them again

I will say I do like searching every nook and cranny around the starting castle and spent a good 15 minutes doing so and hadn't quite finished exploring it because of a bug that forced me to quit and I'll be restarting again after I finish this post.

What happened was I was hunting around the castle for hidden goodies and had just picked up my 5th medal in the chest beside the turn in girl and went upstairs just to the north of that room and after some dialogue messed around in that Crystal shooting game for a few minutes, hitting escape to back out of it I went back downstairs only to find myself in a middle of just ..-Green- in all directions with my sprites standing in the middle, it was showing one of the castles rooms just to the south amist the field of green but I could not move in any way shape or form and could not interact with my menus at all.

Needless to say I'll be avoiding that room my next attempt. Still I've liked what I've saw so far!

Yeah, that was a transfer event oversight error from when I downsized the castle in a previous update, will be fixed next build.

The rest of all areas I have completed should be fine, that's the only oversight I'm aware of so far.

So I finally managed to ransack the castle of all loot (at least I think I got everything including stuff behind locked doors that the Small Medal key unlocked and got what I could from the town (Had fun plucking up all the veggies!) I'm now building my first few levels in the overworld near the castle and the hero cave, I'm genuinely enjoying things thus far..although silly question is what does luck affect? Crit chance? Dodging? Drop rates?

Luck adds a modifier to critical chance rates. Dodging is affected by your evasion stats (based partially on a set value modified by agility). Drop rates are controlled by their own modifiers.

I'm mostly using stock RMVX Ace engine rules, but if they seem unbalanced, let me know and I'll tweak the values.

Personally I'd love to see luck affect chances to get drops from monsters but I'm just a sucker for after battle drops *grin*

Anyways I just picked up the Wizard hat from the Small Medal vendor and I can't equip it to anyone and its being listed under the Shield category for equipment. I don't think a hat goes on your hand..unless your hand is a sock puppet!

Terrenceknight Wrote:Personally I'd love to see luck affect chances to get drops from monsters but I'm just a sucker for after battle drops *grin*

Anyways I just picked up the Wizard hat from the Small Medal vendor and I can't equip it to anyone and its being listed under the Shield category for equipment. I don't think a hat goes on your hand..unless your hand is a sock puppet!

Derp, another oversight. Will be fixed in next build, thanks for the bug report.

No worries, I'm excited to see how further work on your game turns out. I'm currently in the cave northwest of Tantagel after having visited Grimhime or whatever the town in the northwest corner her. I'm assumin the town is quite WAI at the moment with blank buildings, other oddities (even found a patch of grass I couldn't walk over!) Currently farmin up gold to afford the wizard staff for Mara.

Terrenceknight Wrote:No worries, I'm excited to see how further work on your game turns out. I'm currently in the cave northwest of Tantagel after having visited Grimhime or whatever the town in the northwest corner her. I'm assumin the town is quite WAI at the moment with blank buildings, other oddities (even found a patch of grass I couldn't walk over!) Currently farmin up gold to afford the wizard staff for Mara.

If possible, send me screenshots of these bugs like that grass tile via PM, email, or filing an issue on my github account.

All of those option would be best to avoid clogging up this thread with lots of bug reports, and I religiously check those other sources, so I'll get on it immediately. [Image: banana-dance.gif]

Also, that Wizard Staff should be usable as an item in battle, let me know if it doesn't work (should cast Blaze). Garinheim is also not very fleshed out due to my needing to add details later, since there is a dungeon you can visit from that town later, will attempt to fill in the blanks next build.

I'll see what I can do, now 2 questions for ya. When will we start seeing metal slimes and metal babbles? I used to love hunting thoes buggers in DQ games! Second is I have the poison needle in my inventory is it coded to have a chance to instant kill non-boss enemies? Or is that something to be added still?

Yes, the Poison Needle has a small chance of causing instant death. Also, Metal Slimes will be added around the same point they were in the original game (around the Hauksness/Catilin region) in a later build, most likely the next one, since I already have some considerable chunks of Rimuldar finished.

A few updates:

* The staircase north of the mages lab in the castle does not go back to the proper location, this is an oversight that will be corrected next build. It is not a required area, so it can be avoided.

* The exit to Kol also has misplaced transfer events, use a Scape Rope or Warp Wing to leave town, this will also be corrected by next build.

* I accidentally uploaded an earlier snapshot of my game before adding the treasure to the Pod Forest map, so it's absent (I use GitHub to keep track of my releases, didn't save my changes properly before release, my apologies, this will be rectified next build. This area was also horribly unbalanced, this will also be fixed next build. The class change is therefore inaccessible as a result, which again will be fixed next build.

Well that certainly explains a few things bout the Pod forest, looking forward to the next build then. Perhaps if its an optional dungeon with stronger than normal enemies there could be a warning somewheres. Maybe an NPC in Roto's town who talks bout it, I dunno though since you said your going to rebalance some things there.

Terrenceknight Wrote:Well that certainly explains a few things bout the Pod forest, looking forward to the next build then. Perhaps if its an optional dungeon with stronger than normal enemies there could be a warning somewheres. Maybe an NPC in Roto's town who talks bout it, I dunno though since you said your going to rebalance some things there.

To be honest, I'm not pleased with how I accidentaly released a rougher build than I intended (screwed up and didn't save the latest snapshot I palnned to my GitHub account), and I would have released a bugfix version, but things went utterly to hell on Orain for awhile, and my attention was consumed entirely with that.

Next build may take a lot more time (though I'll probably release a brief interquel bugfix version for the worst errors), but it will have at least all of Rimuldar and fair chunks of the Hauksness region completed..

Beta 1.31 is now ready, and is a bugfixed version of Beta 1.30. All game crashing or breaking bugs should be fixed now, as well as the following changes:

* Removed Cutscene Skip. Turns out it was the source of most of the bizarre game breaking bugs for some odd reason.

* Modified some weapons like wands to cast whatever spell effect they would have used as an item as their default attack, this done as a compromise between RM VX Ace limitations and since I couldn't get a script to work. For instance, the standard attack of the Wizard Wand is Blaze spell, except it costs no MP to use.

* Boomerangs now hit all enemies when equipped as weapons.

* Fixed some armor bugs, like Magic Hats being registered as shields.

* Added a few small areas, such as a house to Garinheim and the Sun Shrine inbetween the main and Kol landmasses. The Tower of Kol, Hauksness, and Rimuldar landmasses are still devoid of overworld content or events, will have Rimuldar done by next build, along with parts of Hauksness. More "blank spaces" will be filled in in later builds.

* Pod Forest has been rebalanced to be a lot more beatable. It's still hard, don't go in below Level 12, but now beatable. Items intended to be there exist, take it back to Tera for Mara to gain new armor and a class change.

* Sounds have all been reduced to 50% volume due to complaints some were too loud.

You can get the latest beta here:

http://github.com/Arcane21/DW1-Remake/tree/Beta-1.31

I just got some reports that the latest bug fix seems to have smoothed over some of the biggest issues, though thanks to an oversight I introduced a hilarious overpowering of the Mist Staff, which deals out a chance of instant death whenever Mara attacks with it equipped. This will be removed by next release, but you all can consider it a http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Good_Bad_Bug

I also discovered a lot more of the features I intended don't seem to be work, as they will require some custom scripting I don't currently have, so I plan to refactor my current codebase to make certain features work that currently don't partially or at all.

Beta 1.50 will be awhile as a result.

Alright, I'm going to be spending a lot of time retooling the game engine as well as providing new areas, Beta 1.50 will be awhile, but I have a confession to make.

The current codebase sucks.

Seriously, a lot of it is, upon closer inspection, held together by spitballs, old thread, and hope, and I plan to have a lot more features I planned on since day one fully functional before Beta 1.5, and I've already managed to implement several features I had hoped for now that I've had a few days to unwind and examine the scripting issues.

I'm also making an offer: Before I release a new beta, I'm willing to submit a release candidate version for private testing (PM me for details if you're interested) before any official release, so I can polish any bugs before shoving another one out the door.

It will be some time before I can do this, but I want all future releases to not suck as bad as 1.30, which was an embarrassment.