Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you trust this thread?
Can you trust this thread?
According to http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/misen ... -1.3732328]a CBC news report, a paper published in the journal Computers in Human Behaviour says that everybody lies on the Internet.

Yes, it does say that. Trust me.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Everybody lies off the Internet, too. What's the diff?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

But if everyone lies on the internet, how cane we trust that is a truthful and accurate report? The CBC has doomed us all to an eternity of the Liar Paradox!
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Not quite; it didn't say everybody lies all the time.
Or "Now listen to this carefully, Norman.  I am ... lying."
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

This statement is false.

This sentence is seven words long.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

The below statement is true
The above statement is false.
think of the poor AI's
Stop it with the "What I'm saying is a lie" style of infinite loops theses statements are making all the AI's watching this site and the internet unstable.
Just think what this thread is doing to the FBI's and CIA's AI programs to say nothing what your doing to Russia and China's version of the AI spies.
If nothing else think of Goggle's  poor search engines, when it finds this thread your going to crash the world largest search engine for all the English speaking nations.
hmelton

Quote:hmelton wrote:
Stop it with the "What I'm saying is a lie" style of infinite loops theses statements are making all the AI's watching this site and the internet unstable.
Just think what this thread is doing to the FBI's and CIA's AI programs to say nothing what your doing to Russia and China's version of the AI spies.
If nothing else think of Goggle's  poor search engines, when it finds this thread your going to crash the world largest search engine for all the English speaking nations.
hmelton
I'm enjoying the thought of smoke coming out of Bill the Gates' ears as his brain melts....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

hmelton Wrote:...
You say that as if it's a bad thing.
--
Rob Kelk

I was being sarcastic about Goggle's search engine and also thinking about all the science fiction stories and fantasy games that uses variations of the above statements to have the hero crash a computer.
I rarely use goggle search and personally feel most search engines have actually degenerated instead of improved.
It now seems to takes on average a minimum of 3 different search engines to get the same number of useful results one supplied a few years ago.
hmelton

I trust no thread, the whole internet lies

Quote:Rajvik wrote:
I trust no thread, the whole internet lies
LIAR!!!
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

hmelton Wrote:I was being sarcastic about Goggle's search engine and also thinking about all the science fiction stories and fantasy games that uses variations of the above statements to have the hero crash a computer.

I rarely use goggle search and personally feel most search engines have actually degenerated instead of improved.

It now seems to takes on average a minimum of 3 different search engines to get the same number of useful results one supplied a few years ago.

hmelton
In all seriousness, that's one major reason why I started the wiki for free Poser and Daz Studio resources. Lately, I've noticed a large minority of cases where the wiki pages about various freebies have been showing up in Google and Yahoo searches higher than the pages that host the freebies - if the pages that host the freebies show up in the results at all.

If hand-crafted lists of links are coming back, I'm a trend-setter.
--
Rob Kelk

The search engines haven't gotten worse, it's just that the amount of information on the internet has grown at an extraordinarily exponential rate and vastly outstripped our ability to catalogue and organize it.

Search engines have gotten much better at sorting through the trash, but they've also moved from a single house's bin to a giant landfill. There's only so much you can do.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
lie by ommission or perhaps unanticipated results of AI based context filtering
I'm very aware of  the information explosion of the internet and expected it to give me more "hit's" that are only tangentially or very distantly  related to the words I used, but that's not what bothers me. It's the tracking and the way most search engines use that tracking to filter results.
I'm not happy with the tracking, but what really bothers me is how many modern search engines use tracking information oten based on my past searchs and visited websites to determine what a search will turn up.
Here is an example, a relative who does not have internet, but will sometimes use our internet recently had a baby and for the past few weeks I've had to wade through search results that seem to be geared toward babies. All my words seem to now have the context related to Babys or pregnancy. 
The programmers of Goggle and many other search engines are very proud of thier "AI" or probably more accurately an expert system that creates a "context" for your search terms based on  the tracking info they have collected about you and what groups they have grouped you with.
Here is another example. Just because I read a large number of Democrat or Republican sites does not mean I want all my results given a political context or even a bias toward one political group.
Currently my two primary search engines are Yahoo and duckduckgo.
I regularly use yahoo search because they provide me with several free email accounts and I treasure duckduckgo not because it claims it doesn't track me, but because it's results aren't usually given a context based on tracking  information.
The two search engines above along with more rare forays into Goggle search seem to give me good results. Using these search engines for every search seems to do a good job on all the ommissions the individual seach engines make.
At least for me the 3 search engine approach mentioned above seems to trap out more of the false or misleading information, especially the ommisions.
hmelton

Hm, one more reason to have ALL THE PRIVACY ADDONS installed, I guess. At least until the browsers stop supporting them...
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

ClassicDrogn Wrote:Hm, one more reason to have ALL THE PRIVACY ADDONS installed, I guess. At least until the browsers stop supporting them...
That doesn't help - they track IP addresses nowadays.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:
Hm, one more reason to have ALL THE PRIVACY ADDONS installed, I guess. At least until the browsers stop supporting them...
That doesn't help - they track IP addresses nowadays.
That's what VPNs are for.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.