Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
Mm, yeah, that would make sense.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
We should probably change that since I never check that email. Now that Miraheze runs a mail server maybe we should just give them the MX record and ask them for accounts.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(09-17-2021, 03:18 AM)Labster Wrote: We should probably change that since I never check that email.  Now that Miraheze runs a mail server maybe we should just give them the MX record and ask them for accounts.

You should probably also check the email for any notices that we've failed to apply/counter-claim.
Just made the annual update to the World Video Game Hall of Fame inductees navbox. It's remarkable how few redlinks it has.

Could somebody slap together a franchise page (a stub will do) for King’s Quest, please? (And another for Microsoft Solitaire if you can come up with at least one trope for it.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(09-17-2021, 06:20 AM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 03:18 AM)Labster Wrote: We should probably change that since I never check that email.  Now that Miraheze runs a mail server maybe we should just give them the MX record and ask them for accounts.

You should probably also check the email for any notices that we've failed to apply/counter-claim.

Definitely. We've said that we don't ignore DCMA notices, so we'd better read them if they're there.

And we should remove the email address from the Wikidata entry sooner rather than later, even if we don't have a replacement for it. EDIT: Done.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'll remove it.

EDIT: Or I would, if someone hadn't already beaten me to it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Yeah, that was me. I also removed the statements about Tropedia and ATT being connected while I was there.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Did you notice that there's a section called "TV Tropes identifier" where there's a link to a TVT thread that calls us plagiarists?
-- Bob

I didn't notice that one.

Should we refer that statement to our lawyers?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-17-2021, 08:08 AM)robkelk Wrote: I didn't notice that one.

Should we refer that statement to our lawyers?

Is Fighteer even a staff member there anymore?
I thought he was... I hadn't heard anything to the contrary.

We may have good relations with the guys who own TVT now... but that doesn't seem to have bubbled down to the mods, who are still prone to calling us perverts and plagiarists.

EDIT: Did a quick check. There are Reddit threads about dealing with Fighteer from as recently as a year ago. And article at believermag.com from March cites him as a current mod.

And Fighteer still has an active Troper page at TVT, but without an account I can't look at his edit history to see how recently he's done anything.
-- Bob

Perhaps, instead of going straight to the lawyers, we could approach whoever it is that we have good relations with there and ask what's the big idea with that (a) existing and (b) being linked to Wikidata. If there's no action that way, then we go the legal route.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
That, in fact, was much the same way I was thinking. Brent has a good relationship with Drew, maybe we can ask for a little top-down help.

Besides, do we actually have lawyers?
-- Bob

(09-17-2021, 03:28 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: That, in fact, was much the same way I was thinking.  Brent has a good relationship with Drew, maybe we can ask for a little top-down help.

Besides, do we actually have lawyers?

Usually it is best to resolve with dialogue b4 resolving with legal shit.

I ain't got no legal connections with anybody.
(09-17-2021, 12:43 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I thought he was... I hadn't heard anything to the contrary.

We may have good relations with the guys who own TVT now... but that doesn't seem to have bubbled down to the mods, who are still prone to calling us perverts and plagiarists.

EDIT:  Did a quick check.  There are Reddit threads about dealing with Fighteer from as recently as a year ago.  And article at believermag.com from March cites him as a current mod.

And Fighteer still has an active Troper page at TVT, but without an account I can't look at his edit history to see how recently he's done anything.

Yes, Fighteer is still a current mod, can confirm.

And last I and Fighteer talked, we are civil if nothing else. I can't speak for anyone else.
(09-17-2021, 05:05 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 12:43 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I thought he was... I hadn't heard anything to the contrary.

EDIT:  Did a quick check.  There are Reddit threads about dealing with Fighteer from as recently as a year ago.  And article at believermag.com from March cites him as a current mod.

And last I and Fighteer talked, we are civil if nothing else. I can't speak for anyone else.

If you have a tvt account, could you help https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Wgr3rz692hm90q4a with his edit history question, TVT restricts history for unknown reasons.
(09-17-2021, 05:32 PM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 05:05 PM)GethN7 Wrote:

If you have a tvt account, could you help https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Wgr3rz692hm90q4a with his edit history question, TVT restricts history for unknown reasons.

They restrict history because Fast Eddie got MAD we dared fork TV Tropes so he shunted off viewing history or view the page source to prevent further "theft".
1) There's nothing in the email but a bunch of Twitter account emails about how we should be following the latest and greatest, and about half as many request for paid links on the wiki.
2) Actually their history always sucked if I recall correctly. I don't think it had anything to do with us, they just threw away content to save space. In any case we have an interwiki link [[TVTH: ... ]] to link to it easily. (This interwiki was necessary to fit a link into our own article history.)
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Anyway, back to the earlier point. Can we see if Drew is amenable to getting TVT mods to stop calling us perverts and plagiarists, and maybe even get some apologies for past mudslinging?
-- Bob

(09-17-2021, 06:23 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Anyway, back to the earlier point.  Can we see if Drew is amenable to getting TVT mods to stop calling us perverts and plagiarists, and maybe even get some apologies for past mudslinging?

I'm not stopping you or any other bureaucrat opening up the dialogue with him; whether he cares about an insult 5/6 years ago is a different matter.
(09-17-2021, 06:51 PM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 06:23 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Anyway, back to the earlier point.  Can we see if Drew is amenable to getting TVT mods to stop calling us perverts and plagiarists, and maybe even get some apologies for past mudslinging?

I'm not stopping you or any other bureaucrat opening up the dialogue with him; whether he cares about an insult 5/6 years ago is a different matter.

It isn't just an insult - it's an insult that's linked from Wikidata, which purports to be a repository of usable information fo0r identifying people, places, and things. Which, if somebody takes what's linked from Wikidata as gospel, makes it potentially actionable as defamation of character.

I have no idea how to contact Drew. It'll have to be one of the other bureaucrats who opens this dialogue.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-17-2021, 06:58 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 06:51 PM)LulzKiller Wrote:

It isn't just an insult - it's an insult that's linked from Wikidata, which purports to be a repository of usable information fo0r identifying people, places, and things. Which, if somebody takes what's linked from Wikidata as gospel, makes it potentially actionable as defamation of character.

I have no idea how to contact Drew. It'll have to be one of the other bureaucrats who opens this dialogue.

SRS question: was TVT involved with putting it on Wikidata, or was it some random user?

https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Arlo_Barnes seems to be the user who added it, and his userpage has our logo????
FYI, when Fighteer made his original comment, this was before we markedly improved our relations and since then Fighteer has been a markedly more civil and reasonable person about us, and has even initiated a few takedown requests of ourselves being plagiarized in good faith on his end.

I suggest we ask the creator of the Wikidata page to be made aware of our legal status and that what they linked to is not substantiated at present in any legal sense

Also, I'm getting 503s at the moment, but I already know how to fix the Firing One-Handed page examples. As an amateur gun nut, even I know unless it's a Desert Eagle on up, most pistols and revolvers can be realistically fired one-handed, and even the super-high calibers can be fired one-handed if you are exceptionally strong, you just might beat up your wrist and shoulder and your accuracy will suck. When it's working better, I'll blowtorch all improper examples and leave a mod note at the start of that section how to avoid improper examples in the future.
(09-17-2021, 07:20 PM)GethN7 Wrote: FYI, when Fighteer made his original comment, this was before we markedly improved our relations and since then Fighteer has been a markedly more civil and reasonable person about us, and has even initiated a few takedown requests of ourselves being plagiarized in good faith on his end.

I suggest we ask the creator of the Wikidata page to be made aware of our legal status and that what they linked to is not substantiated at present in any legal sense

Also, I'm getting 503s at the moment, but I already know how to fix the Firing One-Handed page examples. As an amateur gun nut, even I know unless it's a Desert Eagle on up, most pistols and revolvers can be realistically fired one-handed, and even the super-high calibers can be fired one-handed if you are exceptionally strong, you just might beat up your wrist and shoulder and your accuracy will suck. When it's working better, I'll blowtorch all improper examples and leave a mod note at the start of that section how to avoid improper examples in the future.

MediaWiki was also down in general, IDK if one of the major cloud providers was/is down or not.
Yay! I can put column markup inside a Tabber tab!

That makes this list much easier to display, a big chunk at a time.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown