Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Douglass Gardens Sessions - take 2
The Douglass Gardens Sessions - take 2
Since the original thread is locked up in the attic, here's a new thread with a slightly different focus.

Considering that OnNaGumi's look leads me to think they're a punk or punk-rock band, I can imagine them playing a cover of "Tainted Love" that sounds a lot like this one by The Town Cryers:

Non-embedded link to the entire album on YouTube. (Note that the credits on YouTube are misleading - while the album was released on CD in 2017, it's copyright 1992.)

Speaking of that album (and, no, it isn't all covers)... "Yui, why are we playing a song about a children's board game?"

Non-embedded
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: The Douglass Gardens Sessions - take 2
We should probably retrieve the original thread from the Attic. As far as I recall, it had nothing really that was pre-retcon-exclusive in it.

That said, I like the idea of OnNaGumi doing "Tainted Love" punk style, especially since the version everyone remembers and covers was a genderflip of the original.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Just realized that Jake and Elwood Blues aren't on the Douglass Gardens Sessions list... yet.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh. Of course. Yes.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Just realized - move Ui from guitar to keyboard, and Wakaba Girls could play "Green Onions".

Or get Wakaba Girls, Hokago Tea Time, OnNaGumi, and Madoka Ayukawa together and play this double-length cover of "Green Onions". (Er... does it count as a cover of "Green Onions" when Booker T is playing?)

--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
not so much a cover as a remix
The following is a transcript of an Easter Egg track found on Celestial Serenades, Belldandy's contribution to The Douglass Gardens Sessions.

Yui: "Come on, be a pal! You sister recorded an entire EP for us!"

Skuld: "Yui-san, I don't have time to record an entire album! And what makes you think I can sing well enough to be recorded?"

Ritsu: "You're a Valkyrie, right? And all Valkyries are opera singers. I've heard of the Ring Cycle."

Skuld: "That's a stereotype!"

Akira: "But is it true?"

Skuld: <sigh> "Yes."

Yui: "Come on, just one song? Please?"

Skuld: "I'm not supposed to grant wishes just like that. You have to call the Goddess Help Line and get through before we can grant a wish."

Yui: "Oh. Could you do it as a favor?

Skuld: "I suppose. But only a cappella." <clears throat>

Nao: "We're rolling. Skuld's bonus track, take one."

Skuld:
"Return, my love,
a longing burns deep inside me.
Return my love!
I want you always beside me.
Love like ours must be
Made for you and for me.
Return, won't you return my love
For my looooove is yours!"

<applause>

Nao: "That's great, Skuld! I think the first take is good. Who do we credit it to?"

Bob: "According to the source, it was written by Michael Maltese."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, I'd do that.
-- Bob

I'm adding to Makoto's set list. She's going to end up doing a full-length album at this rate... Smile

"Waiting for the Thunder", by Blackberry Smoke, written by Charlie Starr, from the album Like an Arrow, copyright © 2016 by 3 Legged Records. This rendition by Daryl Hall and Charlie Starr copyright © 2023.

EDIT: Speaking of Makoto's album, it's the only one without her name on the dust jacket... just in case it's still a secret in 2018. (Original artwork of Sailor Jupiter by "hai (pixiv26156235)", downloaded from Danbooru.) The font is Agbalumo.

RE-EDIT: Usagi and Chibiusa have never listened to this album. They're (canonically) afraid of thunder... Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'd suggest this for a Douglass Gardens Sessions cover, but (a) Pink Floyd would want royalties, and (b) there's somebody in the image who we don't -- yet -- have in Refuge.

[Image: __koiwai_yotsuba_and_mihama_chiyo_azuman...8e4867.jpg]

larger version here
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Azusa Nakano! What a wonderful girl!
"Azusa Nakano! She ain't no sad churl!"

Nao held up her arms crossed, rejecting the submission. "Denied! Disney would want royalties."

Azusa looked to the heavens and whispered, "thank you..."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I looked at the wiki page for The Douglass Gardens Sessions, but this EP doesn't have a title yet, so I can't finish the cover...

.png   Madoka-Ayukawa-DGS-Cover-small.png (Size: 267.75 KB / Downloads: 48)

(Fan art by "genya67", from Danbooru, cropped to square. This copy reduced to one-quarter size; the copy I'm using is only reduced to half-size (so it's double this version's size). Pretty obvious where in the image the title text will be going...)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I can't see Johnny B. singing this one, but I can see Yui singing it about Johnny B.

(Non-embedded)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Be afraid.

Be very afraid.

Koyomi Mizuhara has found out about the Douglass Gardens Sessions... via Touhou fandom.

[Image: __mizuhara_koyomi_azumanga_daioh_drawn_b...4933e7.jpg]

Double-sized image here

BGM here
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown