Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Apartment Manager is not a Planning Thread, #14
RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Planning Thread, #14
I would think it would also have an disproportionately large amount of negative emotions as well, from disappointment and despair over failed acting careers; hatred and jealousy between rivals at all levels; greed and envy, again at all levels...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Hi all, I realized that today was a perfect day to nominate Vance to be a character in ManaChara.  Not that Vance – her name is Susan Vance, screwball heiress and the prototypical manic pixie dream girl.  I saw Bringing Up Baby back in the winter, and thought that the lead characters might be fun to include, but didn't really have anywhere to use them.

Today I remembered her beau David Huxley is a paleontologist, and then I remembered that I just left Isla Sorna out there in the ocean with no particular plot since the pilot.  It seems like a beautiful match.  She'd even be able to handle Casey and Andy with her aplomb, she has so very much aplomb.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(04-03-2024, 03:58 AM)Labster Wrote: One of the weird things about stories is that you some times learn something that makes you interpret the story in a different light.  Like in The Big O, the word "Megadeus" sounds a little weird.  But apparently Megadux was a real title given in the late Roman Empire.  Probably not related, but just an interesting thread to pull at.

* robkelk follows the link

Oh, it's not Entchen under the effect of The Big.

Osaka's going to be sad.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Today's Irregular Webcomic rerun raises an interesting plotbunny in panel 2:

[Image: irreg2608.jpg]
I've been watching ye olde Unlimited Blade Works, having decided to write a story about the Fate/stay night characters -- but really about Saber, my beloved. And FSN classic (Fate route) as well.  Infinite Blade Works is more interesting, but I'm starting to get reminded at how much I dislike the story... and I'm still writing a fanfic about it?

But now I've actually figured out why I don't like FSN.  I think it's easiest to explain in list form:
  • Shinji - borderline personality disorder, narcissitic personality disorder, psychopathy
  • Gilgamesh - narcissistic personality disorder, obsession
  • Medea - post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, abandonment issues
  • Soichirou - antisocial personality disorder
  • Fake priest guy - psychopathy
  • Shirou - post-traumatic stress disorder, eighth grade syndrome
  • EMIYA - post-traumatic stress disorder, depression
  • Artoria - burnout
  • Lancer - actually pretty normal?
  • Rin - tsundere, no real disorders
  • Fujimura-sensei - living her best life!

That's in order of increasing mental stability — the one who wants to make a wish so that her entire adult life didn't occur is one of the most normal human beings here.  These are all the walking wounded.  Magic doesn't feel very magical if it just corrupts everything it touches.  And so me, who likes a good slice of life — of course I hate this show.  It's absolutely not my thing!  But I am writing a slice of life story about them because in our scenario they can't work out their issues with violence (as if they could anyway).

We have taken out the worst offenders from our story, the ones most likely to do indiscriminate killing, but among the ones we have left there are a few who have no compunctions about murder.  And we have a lot of people who just need help.  They're functional in society, but only just.  It's something we need to think about for this residence.
There's a reason I picked Rin as the displacee that Uiharu-san met when she first visited Montreal. (Okay, two reasons, with the other being Ueda-san is her seiyuu. Smile )

I have long-range plans for Medusa (not sure where to list her) and her resolving some of her issues through art... but, no, she'll never abandon Sakura Matou. (Who I'd list between Soichirou and Shirou because "survivor of ongoing abuse", BTW. She shows her PTSD in a different way than Shirou.) And I find that I'm enjoying writing Medea the way she is now (every ongoing story needs a Jayne or an Avon -- or at least a Spock/McCoy interaction -- to generate plot hooks intra-party issues, after all), but she'll be getting some character development along the way, as well.

Soichirou... well, I'm still not sure what to do with him, but Medea might end up available again.

And, yes, you get to lead-write Saber. You obviously have at least short-term plans for her.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I had been thinking about including Barbie in the story ever since I realized that their portal to Barbie world starts in Venice Beach.  Today I realized that we already have Ah My Goddess and Firefly in the story.

Bell, Book, and Ken Doll, anyone?
<rimshot>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
<holds nose, runs>
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Does anyone know how old the Amazon Quartet/Sailor Quartet is?

Okay, so we're not using "Amazoness" because Wikitionary says not to use it, that it's basically a translation of Amazones, the plural of Amazon in Greek.  So it's just a plural error introduced Japanese, "Amazons Quartet".

Of course, if you go deeper, Amazon is probably from Persian "*hamazan" for "warrior", which Greeks heard as "a-mazon", literally "no breast".  All of the best stories originally come from puns. And in Sailor Moon, they're still kids as long as they have their Amazon Tama – is the symbolism really this blatant?  It's a different meaning of "no breasts" (one more familiar to Lina Inverse) but it kind of works.  They won't develop into women so long as they keep the ball/gem/stone, and thus keep Peter Panning.

In the absence of any canon timeline, I'd put them at age 11 or 12, the "tweenage" years being the real cusp at the end of childhood, where all of that change happens.  They're kind of supposed to be in Small Lady's cohort, but there's time travel shenanigans on both sides.  Maybe they were originally born in Usagi's cohort, but Nehelenia's magic kept them young for a bit?  I could also choose to age them up a little beyond that when they enter our setting.
(08-10-2024, 07:21 PM)Labster Wrote: In the absence of any canon timeline, I'd put them at age 11 or 12, the "tweenage" years being the real cusp at the end of childhood, where all of that change happens.  They're kind of supposed to be in Small Lady's cohort, but there's time travel shenanigans on both sides.  Maybe they were originally born in Usagi's cohort, but Nehelenia's magic kept them young for a bit?  I could also choose to age them up a little beyond that when they enter our setting.

I can't find any canonical data for any version of the story.

Sure, let's go with "tween" for the Amazones, possibly with timey-wimey shenanagins.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Bad idea of the day: We have enough characters to start a Japanese girl gang:
  • Makoto Kino
  • Jun-Jun
  • Madoka Ayukawa
  • Sakaki
  • Hijiri Minowa

... but none of them really did anything bad.  Okay, June had her Lemures eat a Dream Mirror once or twice, but honestly who hasn't done that?  I'm starting to think Faux Sukeban is a trope...

Oh, and ITEM is basically a girl gang.
Would now be a good time to suggest importing Saki Asamiya from Sukeban Deka into Refuge? <grin>
-- Bob

You may be joking but I've been thinking about ways to include her for a long while.  I guess if nothing else, Saki can work for the Roanapur PD.
Only half joking. I was thinking she'd go well with Bells and Whistles.
-- Bob

I finally watched the Fate "Heaven's Feel" route movies, because I thought it would help to get some better characterization of Sakura and Medusa.  If you want to write these characters: don't bother watching this.  Only the second movie has any decent characterization, and I'm not going to come out here and say "only watch the middle episode of a trilogy".

So, some basic points so you don't have to watch:

Useful notes:
* Rin and Sakura tried to avoid each other out of awkwardness and ostensible obligation after Sakura was adoptified into the Matou family
* The scene where Shiro tells Sakura to call Rin "nee-chan" gets an adorbs tsundere response we should replicate.
* Shiro manages to get the teeny, tiniest bit of character development by deciding to ignore his heroic ideal to save everyone in order to save his one girl (here, Sakura) instead.
* Apparently one of Sakura's adoptive family head's bugs was inside her with the rest of the parasites, bound to her nervous system.  Possibly a useful plot hook, possibly we just want to give her some ivermectin and be done with it.
* Sakura's non-blood-related brother Shinji rapes her on screen with the implication that this has been ongoing before the Grail War
* This is not even close to the worst thing to have happened to Sakura, even prior to the Grail War
* Rider's contract with Sakura was never broken, she just gave him to Shinji so she wouldn't have to fight via some Matou family command seal shenanigans
* Rider actually likes Sakura, and doesn't want her to become a monster, like herself -- theoretically useful characterization, but already implied by everything before
* The Emiyas are a cadet branch of the Einzbern family, though Shiro and Ilya are not blood-related for reasons.

What branch does Archer come from, though?  I'm tempted to hypothesize him coming from a fourth branch were Kuzuki wins, which isn't as bad as it sounds.  He might be a psychopath, but he's an ethical one.  Ilya winning is boring, she's only in it for her family; Kirei Kotomine winning is a BAD END.