Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXX
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXX
Old thread is here.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXX
I've tossed together a quick-and-dirty DPL list of pages that use both Category:Musicians and Category:Music. As we agreed in the old thread, the desired state of that list is empty, so I didn't bother making it pretty.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Oh, Bog.,..

48 edits dropped into the Mod queue in an hour and a half, all to entry-pimp something called "Taerel".

Is there any way to bulk check these edits for copyright compliance?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Quote:Is there any way to bulk check these edits for copyright compliance?

If there is, I never learned about it. Might be a good idea to build a tool to do that, but it'd have to be flexible. Not all the copyright violations I've found have actually come from the same page at TVT as they were added to on ATT.

As for "Taerel", that rings a bell. Let me do some looking.

<a few minutes later> Ah, yeah. We have a page for Taerel created about two and a half years ago by someone called "Eytirth" -- who was creating pages for it here and at TVT simultaneously. If Eytirth is the contributor responsible for the flood, I think it's likely that any apparent copying is just him echoing his own work over to us.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
It's Eytirth, they're bugging me in Discord about approving edits.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Okay, I just looked at a sampling of his edits. They all appear to be just transferring trope entries from the Taerel page (where they've already been approved) to the relevant trope pages. However, that's exactly what it is -- a simple cut'n'paste, with no thought to necessary context. For instance, "Alien Sky":

Quote:* ''[[Taerel]]'': Taerel has a strange sky with three moons, one on the West, one on the North and one on the East. This is stated in the Diwarale Kin'toni Clan's page.

With no indication what the "Diwarale Kin'toni Clan's page" is or where it can be found.

We don't have to worry about copyright infringement -- or at least any more than we did for the main page itself -- but we're going to have to check them to make sure that what he cut'n'pasted isn't lacking important context.

Quote:they're bugging me in Discord about approving edits.

Point them at the notice that explicitly says "72-hour turnaround". And mention that they only posted the edits like six hours ago. We've nearly banned people for being obnoxious about approving edits before.
-- Bob

(08-24-2024, 08:51 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, I just looked at a sampling of his edits.  They all appear to be just transferring trope entries from the Taerel page (where they've already been approved) to the relevant trope pages.  However, that's exactly what it is -- a simple cut'n'paste, with no thought to necessary context.  For instance, "Alien Sky":

Quote:* ''[[Taerel]]'': Taerel has a strange sky with three moons, one on the West, one on the North and one on the East. This is stated in the Diwarale Kin'toni Clan's page.

With no indication what the "Diwarale Kin'toni Clan's page" is or where it can be found.

We don't have to worry about copyright infringement -- or at least any more than we did for the main page itself -- but we're going to have to check  them to make sure that what he cut'n'pasted isn't lacking important context.

Quote:they're bugging me in Discord about approving edits.

Point them at the notice that explicitly says "72-hour turnaround".  And mention that they only posted the edits like six hours ago.  We've nearly banned people for being obnoxious about approving edits before.

... and apparently this guy also uses Moderation on his own wiki.  Yeah not liking them that much.

Actually the idea of reusing descriptions raises an interesting question.  I remember the day back when someone at TVT was thinking about rewriting the software so that wicks were automatically backlinked.  Of course, it doesn't work, because the context you need is different depending on which page you're on.

But I have been thinking a bit about Wikidata and Wikibase, where it would be possible to establish those kinds of relationships.  Basically, the underlying structure of everything on wikibase is a triple, Q -- P --> Q'.  One item connects to another by a property.  Or in graph terms, each node Q is linked to another node Q' by an edge P.  All you need to do is add a statement (aka edge aka triple relationship) pointing the other direction.  Add a qualifier to each statement which describes the relationship, and you basically have our system of trope descriptions in a database form.  Add another qualifier with a drop-down menu for metatropes (played straight, inverted, etc).

Well, kinda.  You can't capture the creativity on formatting page, nor refer to previous examples.  Or even arrange things.  It would still be cool to have a database, that's something TVT doesn't have at all.

Or would it?  Is there any demand for a database, or do people just like reading pages?  You could do things like query the most commonly used tropes in anime, or find out which genres have the most tropes in common, or even find similar shows based on shared tropes.  That still isn't useful to me, but it's a thought of something we could decide to do.
(08-24-2024, 09:03 AM)robkelk Wrote: I've tossed together a quick-and-dirty DPL list of pages that use both Category:Musicians and Category:Music. As we agreed in the old thread, the desired state of that list is empty, so I didn't bother making it pretty.

Actually I think we want a {{musician}} template instead of {{creator}}, because we probably want to enable some subpages not listed under creator.  More than anyone else musicians have their whole body of work assigned to the musician's page, and thus all of the tropes.
I'm not sure we need a separate header for musicians, though... or, if we do, then we need separate headers for other types of creators as well.

Our current Creator page layout is, if I recall correctly:
  1. {{creator}}
  2. optional Image
  3. optional Page Quote
  4. Description
  5. *ography section (Discography, Bibliography, Filmography, etc)
  6. Creatrotropes section
  7. optional Stinger
  8. {{reflist}}
  9. optional navboxes
  10. Category:{{PAGENAME}}
  11. category cloud
in that order.

What do musicians need that other creators don't?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-25-2024, 03:11 AM)Labster Wrote: ... that's something TVT doesn't have at all.

We've managed to get away from the idea that "TVT has this, therefore we must have it".

Let's avoid the idea that "TVT doesn't have this, therefore we must have it".

Both extremes are bad. Feature ideas should be decided on their own merits, not on whether somebody else does or doesn't have the feature.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-25-2024, 07:10 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(08-25-2024, 03:11 AM)Labster Wrote: ... that's something TVT doesn't have at all.

We've managed to get away from the idea that "TVT has this, therefore we must have it".

Let's avoid the idea that  "TVT doesn't have this, therefore we must have it".

Both extremes are bad. Feature ideas should be decided on their own merits, not on whether somebody else does or doesn't have the feature.

I've come to agree with Rob. Feature parity is great, but better to enhance what we already do to be better as opposed to bolting on new features constantly unless they are germane to our first objective.
(08-26-2024, 09:26 AM)GethN7 Wrote:
(08-25-2024, 07:10 AM)robkelk Wrote:

Let's avoid the idea that  "TVT doesn't have this, therefore we must have it".

I've come to agree with Rob. Feature parity is great, but better to enhance what we already do to be better as opposed to bolting on new features constantly unless they are germane to our first objective.

I guess neither of you have used wikidata, because it really wouldn't be a new feature so much as an entirely separate wiki-ish database, from which data could be pulled.

Anyway, I enabled Special:UnusedRedirect.  It really, really doesn't like to spit out anything above 500 pages, so you get to see letters A and B.  Some of them are kind of expected, like redirects to categories.  We want them to be searchable – but not the tag-type categories – so I don't think we could just turn on search for the category pages.  Subpage redirects, though, those seem pretty deleteable.
I've been noticing an unusual number of "Something went wrong" error pages from both ATT and the KanriKyara wiki over the past few days, and this morning it looks like the search function is at best working only intermittently.
-- Bob

Work expands to the processor power available for it. How's the overall load on Orain?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-28-2024, 11:38 AM)robkelk Wrote: Work expands to the processor power available for it. How's the overall load on Orain?

The load is expanding bigly.  Lots of red lights in Grafana.

We're hosting over 9000 active wikis now -- but I still blame AIs for all of the requests.
On second though, adding a Wikidata like option to help flesh out things like infoboxes would probably be a good idea.
(08-28-2024, 04:06 PM)Labster Wrote:
(08-28-2024, 11:38 AM)robkelk Wrote: Work expands to the processor power available for it. How's the overall load on Orain?

The load is expanding bigly.  Lots of red lights in Grafana.

We're hosting over 9000 active wikis now -- but I still blame AIs for all of the requests.

Lots of AI over the long weekend, then.

This morning I'm not even getting the "Something went wrong" 502 page -- I'm just getting repeated connection-failure messages from my browser if I get anything at all. I've lost track of how many times I've had to send the same request twice in a row before getting any response (even an error message).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-28-2024, 10:09 PM)GethN7 Wrote: On second though, adding a Wikidata like option to help flesh out things like infoboxes would probably be a good idea.

If the server has the processor and disc available, then sure, let's do this.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Since whenever I go away for the night (I have to sleep some time) the "Missing end tag" Lint Error count goes up, I'm measuring my progress a different way now. Pages that match the title prefixes J, K, Q, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z are now off the "Missing end tag" list.

Yes, I know these are the shorter lists. I will take my milestones where I can get them.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Eytirth sent me a board-to-board asking for his edits to be reviewed/approved -- two days ago, but I just saw it today. I told him that we've been busy, it's a holiday, and he's not the only one with edits in the mod queue -- and warned him that his simple cut-and-paste was going to result in some large fraction of his edits being rejected (and why). I think it's unlikely any of us are going to get to the mod queue before Monday night or Tuesday, but he has been waiting longer than the 72 hours at this point and really deserves getting prioritized.
-- Bob

(09-01-2024, 08:53 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Eytirth sent me a board-to-board asking for his edits to be reviewed/approved -- two days ago, but I just saw it today.  I told him that we've been busy, it's a holiday, and he's not the only one with edits in the mod queue -- and warned him that his simple cut-and-paste was going to result in some large fraction of his edits being rejected (and why).  I think it's unlikely any of us are going to get to the mod queue before Monday night or Tuesday, but he has been waiting longer than the 72 hours at this point and really deserves getting prioritized.

I did the needful and approved the edits. Nigh all are either a crosswiki link or information that does not raise any alarm bells for plagiarism.
Thanks, Geth.

I've been busy with the lint errors and haven;t had time to pay much attention to the mod queue...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Looks like Miraheze is completely down.

All The Tropes:
Quote:This wiki is temporarily unavailable

Please try again in a few minutes, these errors usually resolve by then. If you are receiving this error persistently, please check our Twitter (https://twitter.com/MirahezeStatus) for more information or inform us by joining #miraheze-tech-ops on irc.libera.chat or our Discord server (https://discord.gg/TVAJTE4CUn).

(Cannot access the database: Cannot access the database: Connection timed out (db171))

poserdazfreebies:
Quote:Something went wrong

Give it a bit and try again.

When reporting this, please include the information below:
Error 502 Bad Gateway

kanrikyara:
Quote:

issue-tracker:
Quote:Origin is unreachable Error code 523
Visit cloudflare.com for more information.
2024-09-04 14:44:17 UTC
You
Browser
Working
Montréal
Cloudflare
Working
issue-tracker.miraheze.org
Host
Error
What happened?

The origin web server is not reachable.
What can I do?
If you're a visitor of this website:

Please try again in a few minutes.
If you're the owner of this website:

Check your DNS Settings. A 523 error means that Cloudflare could not reach your host web server. The most common cause is that your DNS settings are incorrect. Please contact your hosting provider to confirm your origin IP and then make sure the correct IP is listed for your A record in your Cloudflare DNS Settings page. Additional troubleshooting information here.

Cloudflare Ray ID: 8bdec1a42975a2fc • Your IP:
206.47.13.28 • Performance & security by Cloudflare
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Five minutes later, and wikis have come back.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
ATT's gone away again.

Quote:An error occurred during a connection to allthetropes.org.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the web.

And I can't enter a ticket on issue-tracker:

Quote:No Create Permission

You do not have permission to create these objects.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown