Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part III

Oh, dear - that shuldn't have happened.

I'll wait on doing more edits until we figure out why my signature appeared on every page I touched. (I didn't put it there. Is something odd set in the default user preferences, maybe?)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Ran into an error when clicking "Random Page" and trying to reach http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Boston_Public:

Quote:Internal error
[8f6e17de] 2014-07-02 15:20:34: Fatal exception of type MWException

Attempting to reach "Boston Public" directly or through the search results in the same error.
Edit:  And now the whole site is down.  I bet I overlooked some scheduled maintenance or something.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Ran into an error when clicking "Random Page" and trying to reach http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Boston_Public:

[8f6e17de] 2014-07-02 15:20:34: Fatal exception of type MWException

Attempting to reach "Boston Public" directly or through the search results in the same error.

Edit:  And now the whole site is down.  I bet I overlooked some scheduled maintenance or something.

Nope, that was a planned extension adding gone wrong.

I wanted to add extension "MagicNoCache" to disable caching on certain pages like the Tropes Workshop so those expandable lists would update constantly, and it turns out it butted heads with another extension, so it had to be removed. Apologies for the uptime hiccup.

robkelk Wrote:Oh, dear - that shuldn't have happened.

I'll wait on doing more edits until we figure out why my signature appeared on every page I touched. (I didn't put it there. Is something odd set in the default user preferences, maybe?)
Did that workaround actually work? Somebody please check "Verbal Tic" - if you can see my signature on it, then I still have a problem and will have to stop editing for a while.

EDIT: I'm assuming it did. There's something in my older browser and Orain's newer version of MediaWiki that don't play well together - clicking on the first line of the article resulted in the button immediately above the cursor being pushed. So, Important Safety Tip: Use a current browser when editing.

And that's two days of my vacation spent on wiki cleanup, and zero days spent on relaxing. Time to take a break on that.
--
Rob Kelk

Ran into an error when trying to display the Main Page:

[af8bec28] 2014-07-02 15:23:07: Fatal exception of type MWException

If I display differences between revisions (e.g., http://allthetropes.orain.org/w/index. ... id=1031167 ), the content of the Main Page displays just fine where I expect it to be. But the page on its own doesn't load.

This appears to affect only the Main Page ... but that's the site's "front door."
--
Rob Kelk

Whatever it was, it seems to have fixed itself (or been fixed) by the middle of the afternoon, as I ducked in to the wiki then with no problems. And it's still fine now.
-- Bob
---------

Well, I've been mostly away for the last couple of weeks. The first week was spent in Orlando attending the Perl conference (YAPC::NA), followed by half a week in Tulsa visiting my grandmother. She's 97 and still beats me at pinochle. These ended up taking most of my time, and I spent more time thinking about tropes than about the actual website.

The big feature that's coming up from me is a new {{trope}}/{{work}}/{{creator}} set of templates. Somehow some of the templates got giant images while I was gone, which is cool and all but I'd personally like the MS Office ribbon to DIAF. Anyway, Looking to see if something has subpages is actually pretty cheap db-wise, so we might as well check and see what pages we have before we display them. Pages we don't have yet get a "New Page" dropdown. Subpages of common categories get their own dropdowns too, so all of the */Recap/* pages will be grouped together for easy browsing.

I think after the fact, we can quibble about colors and image sizes and such -- I don't think 16x16px is necessarily the best size, it's just what I had around. But this will put us technically ahead of TV Tropes for the first time, really. (Except for the forums, which are still awful and probably going to stay that way.) This will be enabled tomorrow evening, once the CSS refreshes.
-- ∇×V

Can the size of the icons be user-selectable? IMHO, 16x16 is great for cellphones, while 64x64 is better for larger screens.
--
Rob Kelk

I've been thinking on the basic page types (again), and I think maybe we should have a {{performer}} or {{artist}} page type in addition to {{creator}}. Tagging an actor as a creator just rubs me the wrong way.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I've been thinking on the basic page types (again), and I think maybe we should have a {{performer}} or {{artist}} page type in addition to {{creator}}. Tagging an actor as a creator just rubs me the wrong way.
As a counter-proposal, we could have a "person" tag for all the people who aren't creators.

We might also want a "place" tag - I've noticed Alaska has a page, and Canada has two.
--
Rob Kelk

Yes, you're able to change the icons.  Not by an easy button yet, but you can always add a link in your User:{{USERNAME}}/Common.css.  The images and and layout are entirely described by CSS, which makes it flexible but a bit fiddly to change.  I want to push the features before the design is finalized, because the features are great.
Now, the images aren't currently showing at all -- if you want to see what they're supposed to look like, save a complete webpage with the new stuff and open it up in a different browser tab.  Voila, images added.  So the images aren't working yet because the Content Security Policy is blocking it, because it was written by someone who doesn't understand how CSP works.  But soon.  And then they can be improved.
I was thinking of having {{work}} do italic titles automatically, but that hits issues with short stories and albums and such.  So really, I'd be quite happy with a family of templates like that to be more specialized.
-- ∇×V

Coolness.

On a different topic, I ran into the following oddity last night. These two pages exist:

%[link=http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/AIR_%28Visual_Novel%29/Laconic]http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/AIR ... l)/Laconic]
%[link=http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/AIR_%28Visual_Novel%29/Tear_Jerker]http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/AIR ... ear_Jerker]

But the parent page appears to have been deleted/turned into a redirect by Gethbot in January, and that redirect deleted in April by Dai-Guard. The laconic description makes it clear that it's a different work from http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Air_(novel)]Air (novel). Unfortunately, it's impossible to http://allthetropes.orain.org/w/index. ... l_Novel%29]view or restore either version of the page; I'm wondering if it ever actually had content...
Edit:  ... I might have to revoke that "coolness" above if what I'm seeing right now is what the new templates are supposed to look like -- a bulleted list of links?  And a "Create New" link that does nothing but go to the main page?  Something's very wrong here. 
-- Bob
---------

A user of TVT who shall remain nameless just forwarded this to me:
Quote:Check this out while its there:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/remarks.php? ... eLWVblSEmo

People are spamming, and Fast Eddie has no way to stop them. No, they don't have accounts. And I thought that was impossible.
That's one hell of a huge security hole in TVT's forums.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Edit:  ... I might have to revoke that "coolness" above if what I'm
seeing right now is what the new templates are supposed to look like -- a
bulleted list of links?  And a "Create New" link that does nothing but
go to the main page?  Something's very wrong here.
Everything about that sentence sounds like you need to refresh your CSS and JS.  I'm definitely still working on it -- the colors, the images -- as I get tuits to do so.
I think you're looking for http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/AIR
-- ∇×V

I'm seeing the same thing Bob is. I just refreshed my entire web browser.
--
Rob Kelk

Okay, it's more of a server-side caching thing.
-- ∇×V

I eventually found a disambiguation page for Air. As for that one, I'd look and comment but I'm getting 504 errors again. What is it this time?

As for the work template, it kicked in for me late yesterday afternoon. Looked good, except that the blue-on-dark-cyan(?) effect of the Wikipedia button is hard to read. As I haven't had a chance to get back on the wiki since about 5 pm yesterday, that may have changed, though.
Edit:  2 hours later, the 504s have changed to 502s:  "Bad gateway".
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I eventually found a disambiguation page for Air. As for that one, I'd look and comment but I'm getting 504 errors again. What is it this time?

As for the work template, it kicked in for me late yesterday afternoon. Looked good, except that the blue-on-dark-cyan(?) effect of the Wikipedia button is hard to read. As I haven't had a chance to get back on the wiki since about 5 pm yesterday, that may have changed, though.

Edit:  2 hours later, the 504s have changed to 502s:  "Bad gateway".
Just got a heads up from John Lewis concerning Orain's servers: Due to their server hosting detecting a DoS (Denial of Service) attack on Orain's servers, they have suspended their operation as a protective measure.

This has forced Orain to have to back up all data, reinstall the servers, then reimport the data. Thankfully, nothing seems to have been compromised, but ATT will be down until they can get this fixed. Orain staff are planning to keep us apprised via Twitter (I have released an update tweet myself) and are currently in the process of fixing this.

In fact, they figured this out not very long after it happened.

Again, this was done to prevent a DoS attack and was not something they could have foreseen, and will be working to restore the servers ASAP.

Thanks for the update, Geth. I was starting to get concerned. I'm still concerned, but at least it's well in hand.
-- Bob
---------

ATT (and Orain in general) will be restored sooner or later, but it turns out the DoS was pretty serious stuff.

Apparently, some Chinese hacker discovered a serious SSL flaw in the ElasticSearch extension that could give a hacker database access while doing a DoS attack. TranslateWiki.net got hit with this first awhile ago, and apparently this douchebag or some other skript kiddie gave Orain the same headaches.

They are still working on restoring everything and making damned sure this security hole is plugged, but it's going to take awhile. (ES has been removed for starters). Again, it seems no data was compromised, wiki content, personal stuff, or otherwise.

In the meantime, I have some good news. Southparkfan (a follower of ATT who has access to Orain's servers) has graciously offered to make a read only mirror of ATT in the event it goes down in the future, here: (still in the process of importing stuff ATM)

http://southparkfan.org/allthetropes/in ... /Main_Page

Everybody patched for Heartbleed and got complacent about SSL. Now we know that's a bad idea.

At least this doesn't appear to be the work of somebody who doesn't like tropes wikis.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:At least this doesn't appear to be the work of somebody who doesn't like tropes wikis.

(Knock on wood!)

Or someone who doesn't like ATT in particular...
-- Bob
---------

Small update, guys.

All the actual data for all the stuff on the Orain server has been confirmed fine. At worst, the last few things submitted to the wiki didn't go through, but that's it. Now they are trying to make all the pieces of the new server setup be nice to each other, and at worst, it will take until sometime tomorrow.

Excellent!
-- Bob
---------