Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part III

Thanks for reporting these issues, have filed a bug report with Orain regarding uploads.

Also, the other half is definitely caching, though it takes a day or two after activating HHVM for most issues to clear up.

Okay, thanks.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

About ten minutes ago, the header templates -- {{work}}, {{trope}} and {{creator}} -- started displaying as a solid bar with "script error" in white in it.
-- Bob
---------

Already know the problem, MediaWiki doesn't play nice with Lua (with HHVM enabled), there is a patch to address that, won't be live until sometime tomorrow on Orain.

P.S. - Been following the WMF progress on supplanting stock PHP with HHVM, and it seems they had similar issues that eventually normalized as the caches updated themselves, so not overly surprised. Orain is basically following their lead, so again, not surprised.

P.P.S - Once all this HHVM server crap is over and done with, I plan to reenable some of the old Social Profile stuff again, since our new server setup handles extensions a lot better and they got a massive overhaul code wise for compatibility recently and some of those features would close the gap between us and TV Tropes considerably.

I also hope to replace our current LQT based forum with something even better since the descending tree crap is utter pants for long conversations.

This is odd ... and annoying. If I'm not logged in, I can view pages on Orain wikis just fine. As soon as I log in, every page gives me a 403 Forbidden error - including my own User pages and the logout page.

Since the support system is Forbidden to me, could someone file a ticket on my behalf, please?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I'd love to, but the entire wiki is forbidden to me, too.
-- Bob
---------

Trope pages seem to be appearing properly, but the main page has only
Quote:This is a cached copy of the requested page, and may not be up to date.
Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.

Try waiting a few minutes and reloading.

(Cannot contact the database server: No such file or directory)
You can try searching via Google in the meantime.
Note that their indexes of our content may be out of date.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

And after a brief period after Ankhani's post where you could see things and edit them, we're back to 403 errors.
-- Bob
---------

Just to avoid more poasts about recurring errors, I can say this:

By Saturday, all errors should be resolved. If not, I'll be giving our Orain overlords a report.

The entire server move to HHVM/Ubuntu is almost over, but the errors will happen because we have several servers on the Orain cluster that have got be changed over, and switching from Debian to Ubuntu means they have rebuild the settings on each, so hiccups are inevitable. HHVM related issues are also being resolved during this time, and everything should be stable by Saturday, hopefully earlier.

Geth, Brent -- can we get Wikipedia's MP3 player plug-in or something similar? It would be very cool to embed things like http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Minsky_Pickup]The Minsky Pickup or http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Shave_and_a_Haircut]Shave and a Haircut right into their pages instead of having to link to an external site like YouTube for 3 seconds of music.

Of course, we wouldn't want to use it on something like http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Standard] Snippet]Standard Snippet -- that could get ugly real fast -- but for pages which are about individual snippets (or sound effects, for that matter, like the Rimshot), it would be perfect. (We might even consider it for creator pages where an artist is associated with an iconic bit of music, but that's a call to make later, I think.)

Besides keeping readers on the Wiki, it's also a feature I don't think TVT is likely (or able) to incorporate very soon, giving us another point of difference from them.
-- Bob
---------

Sure, that shouldn't be too hard at all to implement.

I'm holding off on getting any upgrades done until this HHVM stuff is behind us, but I will definitely work on this once that happens.

Edit: The WMF uses this extension:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... diaHandler

Easy to install and use, but only supports OGG/Vorbis style formats.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... wikiPlayer

This extension supports MP3/MP4, and a lot fo other common formats. Requires some external files, but setup is still fairly simple.

Heh. After I wrote that, I did what I should have done first and went looking. There are like a dozen different player extensions for MediaWiki. The only difficulty will be choosing which one to use.
-- Bob
---------

If you use one that autoplays, or can even be set to autoplay by editors, there's going to be trouble.

-Morgan.

Morganite Wrote:If you use one that autoplays, or can even be set to autoplay by editors, there's going to be trouble.

-Morgan.

Amen to that.

Any media playing feature will be enabled on a manual activation basis, as I hate forced autoplay myself.

For embedded media that links to forced autoplaying videos on youtube or something, I think a rule that we want to avoid that would be wise.

Oh, definite agreement. The one that Wikipedia uses requires you to choose to play its clip, and that's what I had in mind for ATT.
-- Bob
---------

GethN7 Wrote:Just to avoid more poasts about recurring errors, I can say this:

By Saturday, all errors should be resolved. If not, I'll be giving our Orain overlords a report.

The entire server move to HHVM/Ubuntu is almost over, but the errors will happen because we have several servers on the Orain cluster that have got be changed over, and switching from Debian to Ubuntu means they have rebuild the settings on each, so hiccups are inevitable. HHVM related issues are also being resolved during this time, and everything should be stable by Saturday, hopefully earlier.
It's now Friday evening, and I don't see any evidence of the problems going away...

(Ubuntu isn't supposed to be vulnerable to ShellShock, so I assume that isn't the reason things aren't going as planned.)
--
Rob Kelk

Just checked Rob, the finishing touches were just recently applied.

Hopefully, we'll be all good tomorrow.

GethN7 Wrote:Just checked Rob, the finishing touches were just recently applied.

Hopefully, we'll be all good tomorrow.

KNOCK ON WOOD!

It will probably take at least one more day.

The server move to Ubuntu and HHVM are done, but ATT needed to be reconstituted for the new settings, and since we have the biggest database, that's what's causing the delay.

Thankfully, that is currently in the process of transferring to the new settings as I type this.

Edit: We should be good now, let me know if we have any issues.

As a bonus, I added an actual emoticon button to WikiEditor with actual emoticons. Enjoy.

Quote:We should be good now, let me know if we have any issues.
Um, no. It was throwing 403 errors last night when I went to bed, and this morning it's impossible to even get that far -- Seamonkey has been reporting "page load error" for any and every page on the site since I got up this morning -- after taking several minutes per page to try loading.
EDIT:  Here is the exact message displayed by Seamonkey:
Quote:Connection Interrupted
The document contains no data.
The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.
I've got the wiki home page trying to load in IE, and when it fails I'll report whatever message it displays.
-- Bob
---------

IE reports
Quote:This page can’t be displayed

•Make sure the web address http://allthetropes.orain.org is correct.
•Look for the page with your search engine.
•Refresh the page in a few minutes.
-- Bob
---------

I'm just getting an endless "Connecting" blank page in Firefox.

Did a quick tracert and the only hiccup seems to be between Telia (a major scandinavian telecom company) and the unnamed hop before orain:
Code:
  7   122 ms   126 ms   123 ms  ldn-b3-v6.telia.net [2001:2000:3018:5::1]  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.  9   122 ms   122 ms   122 ms  2a03:b0c0:1::502 10   122 ms   122 ms   123 ms  prod4.orain.org [2a03:b0c0:1:d0::b7:b001]
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

As I post this, Down For Everyone Or Just Me? is reporting all of orain.org is down.

(Current status: http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/orain.org )
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:As I post this, Down For Everyone Or Just Me? is reporting all of orain.org is down.

(Current status: http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/orain.org )

Status report: Orain knows, they're annoyed, working on it.

We're up again, turns out Composer (the extension installer) and HHVM had a slapfight and that needed to be resolved so everything would come up.