• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A political cartoon I just stumbled across
A political cartoon I just stumbled across
[Image: 7ed1601e4ca00ae80dc40550d0344ae0aec8f4b9.jpg]
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Snrk. And really, would it honestly be as bad as Republicans say it would be if Sanders somehow became President? Really, just humor me here. I am honestly curious to know if it would really be anywhere nearly so bad.

Do you mean, if he was elected period, or if he was elected AND he somehow managed to implement all his proposals?
Not the same thing by a loooong shot....

Bernie'd make the Republicans sweat trying to get the 2/3 majority to pass anything he vetoed that's for sure... and he'd veto a lot.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Conversely, I can see the Republicans making things hard on him in getting any legislation he wanted passed. Harder even than they made things for Obama.

Of course, that's assuming that the Republicans maintain their majorities in Congress. And then there's the whole issue of the vacancy on the Supreme Court's bench.

So, what exactly is Sanders proposing that Canada hasn't had for decades? 'Cause, y'know, I think we've got a pretty good (but not perfect) country up here.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I've just come to expect childish tantrums from Congress, no matter the party.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

@Foxboy That and hypocrisy, also from both sides

Quote:Rajvik wrote:
@Foxboy That and hypocrisy, also from both sides
Politicians...what do you expect?

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:robkelk wrote:
So, what exactly is Sanders proposing that Canada hasn't had for decades? 'Cause, y'know, I think we've got a pretty good (but not perfect) country up here.
I believe he has some fairly significant problems with free trade agreements in general, on the basis of their being effectively a way to export exploitation. Which is fair enough, but drastic action on the subject - which would be possible via executive order - would be rife with unintended consequences.
That said, I've figured from day one that I'd be voting Sanders in the primary and Clinton in the general, and it looks like that prophecy will hold.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Valles Wrote:
Quote:robkelk wrote:So, what exactly is Sanders proposing that Canada hasn't had for decades? 'Cause, y'know, I think we've got a pretty good (but not perfect) country up here.
I believe he has some fairly significant problems with free trade agreements in general, on the basis of their being effectively a way to export exploitation. Which is fair enough, but drastic action on the subject - which would be possible via executive order - would be rife with unintended consequences.

That said, I've figured from day one that I'd be voting Sanders in the primary and Clinton in the general, and it looks like that prophecy will hold.
Oh, dear. It took a lot of convincing to get you folks to agree to a free-trade deal in the first place...
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:Valles wrote:
Quote:robkelk wrote:So, what exactly is Sanders proposing that Canada hasn't had for decades? 'Cause, y'know, I think we've got a pretty good (but not perfect) country up here.

Oh, dear. It took a lot of convincing to get you folks to agree to a free-trade deal in the first place...
If I recall correctly, all four of the frontrunners have said they oppose the TPP, so if it doesn't get to Obama in time, it'll likely die.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

I was thinking of NAFTA when I wrote that comment, actually - I see no reason why we shouldn't have concerns about TPP.
--
Rob Kelk

Sanders can do an executive order, but before he does he can do that he knows he's gonna have to at least try and work with congress first. Otherwise it's a pretty quick way to wind up as a single-term PotUS, And he will definitely want to do two terms in order to effect the kind of change he wants.

So, I'd imagine that he'd work at tweaking the free trade agreements - maybe try something that makes it a little harder to export American jobs. He's got his work cut out for him, though - as I've said before, you can't reverse job migration while maintaining your standard of living. He'll have much better luck reforming corporate taxes, healthcare, immigration, and making college free for Americans.