Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump news the third

Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
Trump feels unappreciated
WaPo has come out as Trump being unfit for the Presidency from the get go and that hasn't changed. So if you can dig out any mainstream news source signing his praises, go ahead and post it for balance.
Agreed -- if any such can be found, please do post links.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Trump trying to call winning the electoral college with a below-majority popular vote a "landslide" ties into that, too. He genuinely seems unable to cope with not having won unanimously -- or having any doubt thrown on the legitimacy of his win. He's obsessed with looking more legitimate than legitimate. I recall reading an article during the campaign that pointed out this was a pattern throughout his entire life, that he'd been repeatedly trying to "prove himself" or gain entry to some social group or another that he had been excluded from -- one case in point was being a developer from the Boroughs trying to get the respect of the Manhattan upper class.

I half expect him to crack at some point and issue an Executive Order requiring all American citizens to love him.
Given his reaction this weekend to the protests and all, I'm still holding this out as a possibility.  Trump simply does not seem able to cope with anyone not worshiping him, and sooner or later he's going to do something formal to address that.  Exactly what, and how -- well, it'll be interesting to see what happens.  It might be a pivot point for the Republican Party, depending on how extreme or outrageous it is.
-- Bob
---------

Trump feels unappreciated
WaPo has come out as Trump being unfit for the Presidency from the get go and that hasn't changed. So if you can dig out any mainstream news source signing his praises, go ahead and post it for balance.
Agreed -- if any such can be found, please do post links.
The Las Vegas paper endorsed him. I think there were one or two others, but I don't remember the names. It certainly wasn't enough to hurt him, anyway.
The media would have done a better job at opposing him by supporting him. If, instead of going berserk at his apostasy, they had all loudly proclaimed, "We support Trump because no matter who you vote for a billionaire Democrat from New York will be President, so we win either way," he probably never would have been nominated.

I think what we want to see is positive coverage now, rather than months-old stuff.
-- Bob
---------

So... Trump has approved the Keystone XL pipeline from the bitumen sands in Alberta to Steele City, Nebraska.

Which was the larger deciding factor: Obama's rejection of the same pipeline in 2015, or the pipeline Canada's building to the Pacific to sell the oil to China because of Obama's rejection?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

The following is one reader's comment on a Washington Post article.  I emphasize that this is not a report from the Post or even a recognized "fake news" site, but just a reader satirizing:
Quote:Bud0
1/23/2017 7:46 PM EST
Updated statement from White House Communications Office  

Mr Spicer said: "Real Americans will not be surprised to learn that the biased media used misleading photographic evidence. In fact, millions of the President's supporters were standing on those white sheets but the cameras did not pick them up because they were themselves wearing white sheets." 
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Trump's pick for Attorney General wants to break encryption (Article hosted outside of USA, links to senate.gov documents)
--
Rob Kelk

Of course he does.
-- Bob
---------

I heard on the radio that Trump wants an official investigation into the quote "massive" voter fraud that cost him the popular vote.
There is a saying: "Well begun, half done."  So far what I see is ongoing chaos. Trump has been called Nixon without the polish. That I see is an insult to Nixon. Nixon had some great political and legislative accomplishments under his belt. Too bad his paranoia lead to Watergate. I can see Trump coming to the same end. Without any great accomplishments of note.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Look at who really wins out of a Trump Presidency...

James Buchanan.

Will new FCC choice free the Internet or control it? Two generally pro-Trump sites wildly differ on whether Ajit Pai is saint or sinner.

http://urbansurvival.com/trump-fcc-pick ... t-freedom/
http://allnewspipeline.com/Trump_vs_Hol ... he_NWO.php

Mark

A draft executive order calling for review of CIA "blacl site" prisons
BTW the Senate under Pelosi compiled an investigation on black site prisons  in which the CIA was hostile to on the matter. The GPO under Mitch McConnell classified it. So far the fall out has been interesting. Everyone who could be involved is disavowing it.
Anyone who believes this is a good idea, kindly raise your hands and state why?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
ordnance11 Wrote:http://www.cbsnews.com/news/national-pa ... ing-again/
From that article:
Quote:“Two retweets from the National Park Service’s (NPS) main Twitter account Friday were inconsistent with the agency’s approach to engaging the public through social media,” Tom Crosson, National Park Service spokesman, said in a statement to CBS News’ Arden Farhi. “Out of an abundance of caution, while we investigated the situation involving these tweets, the Department of Interior’s communications team determined that it was important to stand down Twitter activity across the Department temporarily, except in the case of public safety.”
Translation:  "We now have a minder to keep us from posting anything that the White House does not approve of."
And now there's an unofficial Twitter account. "Can't wait for President Trump to call us FAKE NEWS. You can take our official twitter, but you'll never take our free time!"

Article here (hosted outside the USA): http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/25 ... k_rangers/

A personal comment: What took the Canadian Conservatives months to do after being elected - stifling the voices of government employees - Trump has done in hours. If the pattern holds, the next step will be to divest government reference libraries of their scholarly peer-reviewed references that don't agree with the party line. Stand vigilant and exercise your First Amendment rights, or you'll go down the same path we did (and are still trying to recover from, over a year after voting the Conservatives out).
--
Rob Kelk

This is unexpected: Trump took action to fight house price inflation against the objections of the real estate industry. I certainly didn't see that coming.

2 things in the news:
The entire State Dept leadership tm resigned
Trump to makes Mexico pay for the wall being built

Do we have cause and effect here?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

The bureaucrats resigning isn't the story--as the linked article explains, they're required to resign. The story is that they actually left. Apparently nobody knows yet if they left voluntarily or were kicked out.

Of even greater interest is the fact that the story is about only six people, and how their departure will supposedly be so terrible for the State Department. it's entirely possible that the reporting on the effects are an exaggeration, of course. Government bureaucrats have very little credibility, the mainstream media is no better, and everyone quoted is careful to use wording which, while suitably alarming, is also very vague.

If they're actually being honest and not exaggerating the effects, though, I don't think they've entirely thought through the consequences of telling the world that you can cripple a large chunk of the US government by taking out six people.

Add just in:
To pay for the wall Trump plans to impose a 20% tariif on goods from Mexico

Just so  you know, that is going to be passed to the U.S. consumer.

So, there goes NAFTA.
Begun, the trade war has.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Trump's obviously never taken Econ 101. Tariff (and thus price) goes up, sales go down. He's going to end up with far less money than he's expecting.
-- Bob
---------

Trump's obviously never taken Econ 101. Tariff (and thus price) goes up, sales go down. He's going to end up with far less money than he's expecting.
Well add the 15 billion price tag to that wall that he'll never get from Mexico. Probably more if this thing gets through congress.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Didn't I hear somewhere that Trump never took any sort of formal economics class?
More "rogue" twitter feeds
[Image: tumblr_okd7o8hlJj1rt8lolo1_500.jpg]
And there are more: http://twitter.com/ericholthaus/status ... 1170932736
-- Bob
---------

Well add the 15 billion price tag to that wall that he'll never get from Mexico. Probably more if this thing gets through congress.
I think I see the 'logic' here. It's essentially economic sanctions until they cave in and pay the $15 billion... plus the extra cash for when this particular crazy project blows up the account book. This is gonna be messy.

Quote:Matrix Dragon wrote:
I think I see the 'logic' here. It's essentially economic sanctions until they cave in and pay the $15 billion... plus the extra cash for when this particular crazy project blows up the account book. This is gonna be messy.
Fallout:
1. NAFTA goes bye bye. you don't insult a nation like this and then say we'll stand by the agreements.
2. Trade war erupts between Mexico and U.S.... where it goes...your guess. What it would be is economic chaos.
3. Dow Jones crashes: This might bring back the Great Recession.
3. The U.S. lose credibility. Just going through this lunacy make us look like a rogue nation state. Or would it be a failed nation state?
Boy the U.S. is headed for a train wreck.Can we call this Year Zero?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

1. NAFTA goes bye bye. you don't insult a nation like this and then say we'll stand by the agreements.
I think that's the idea--Trump just doesn't like free trade agreements. I also think this was unavoidable--if the Democrats hadn't tried to shove Clinton down people's throats, Bernie Sanders would be President, and he'd have done the same thing.

This whole conversation right now is based on outdated information.  Basically they announced that they'd do a 20% tariff, got a bunch of immediate complaints, then claimed it was only a "for instance" trial balloon about an hour later.  I can only assume some day traders made a bunch of cash.
This is going to be the new pattern, where Trump gets an idea from one of his advisors/Fox News/Twitter, and then announces it before the staff has to walk it back.  And then Sean Sphincter goes out and explains how it was a great idea and everything is going according to keikaku (keikaku means "plan").  I almost feel sorry for congressional Republicans who want to accomplish something this year, because it looks like 45's whole plan is to keep both enemies and allies guessing.  Good luck getting anything done when no one knows the agenda in advance.
-- ∇×V