Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump news the third

Quote:Matrix Dragon wrote:
So there is now a Nazi on the National Security Council. Guys, your country is honestly starting to scare me.
It's starting to scare you now? Some of us have been seeing the supremacists coming out of the damned woodwork since Trump starting spouting racists things during the election, and Bannon was already one of those sorts. The only thing that's made it more frightening is the speed at which they're working at dismantling any and all progress this country has made over the last century.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Let's put some faces on that executive order.

Video: Emotional travellers affected by Trump's travel ban

(Also, as this article points out, that executive order might be in violation of the First, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendments.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:JFerio wrote:
So there is now a Nazi on the National Security Council. Guys, your country is honestly starting to scare me.
It's starting to scare you now? Some of us have been seeing the supremacists coming out of the damned woodwork since Trump starting spouting racists things during the election, and Bannon was already one of those sorts. The only thing that's made it more frightening is the speed at which they're working at dismantling any and all progress this country has made over the last century.
Worse, the Chairman of the JCS and the Director of National Intelligence are no longer part of the council. Which means Trump and the alt-right are now in charge of national security policy. Ain't that a cheery thought? 

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:JFerio wrote:
'Starting' wasn't really accurate, I admit. But I'm on the other side of the planet, which still adds some degree of separation to events. I've been watching it closely, partly out of morbid curiosity, partly out of horror, and partly because I know there are people here that would love to do the same thing. But the past week's taken it from horror to honest terror.

Over the weekend Trump murdered his first American citizen, an eight year old girl. The girl's father was the first American citizen murdered by the Obamessiah after he seized the power for the President to arbitrarily murder people. Her older brother was murdered shortly afterwards when he went to Yemen looking for his missing (and already dead at that point) father.

Trump fires acting attorney general
Why does this remind me of Watergate's Saturday night massacre
And tactically, the timing of Trump's executive order was ill-advised. He should had waited Sessions was confirmed. Now?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

ordnance11 Wrote:Why does this remind me of Watergate's Saturday night massacre
Because it happened on a Monday night and Nixon also fired an AG or two?  Though I have to say Spicer gets bonus points for "Sally Yates has betrayed the Department of Justice".
Quote:And tactically, the timing of Trump's executive order was ill-advised. He should had waited Sessions was confirmed. Now?
Now any foreign surveillance warrants issued by the DoJ are unconstitutional, because no remaining Senate-confirmed appointees exist at the DoJ.  Now the nomination of Sessions is a referendum on immigration rather than a confirmation of a fellow Senator to office.  Now, 10 days into the administration, the White House is all-in on a Muslim ban.
The correct response to an opponent with a weak hand (
-- ∇×V

vorticity Wrote:... The correct response to an opponent with a weak hand (
--
Rob Kelk

Trumps new executive order.

Each new regulation must be created at the expense of 2 old regulation.
No new regulation may cost more to impliment than the regulations deleted cost to impliment.

That is so easy to fucking abuse. All the little short one-liners will go away, concatenated together with the new melange. And soon, there will only be one law.

Ten thousand pages long.

Quote:Dartz wrote:
Trumps new executive order.

Each new regulation must be created at the expense of 2 old regulation.
No new regulation may cost more to impliment than the regulations deleted cost to impliment.

That is so easy to fucking abuse. All the little short one-liners will go away, concatenated together with the new melange. And soon, there will only be one law.

Ten thousand pages long.
That would be great! Mind you, I don't really believe it will happen, but if Trump could somehow get rid of 95% of federal regulations, I'd actually be tempted to vote for him next time.

Let's add a regulation for self-driving cars.  Gotta get rid of two, so I guess seatbelts and rear-view mirrors can go.  Either that or cat(1) becomes the most valuable software in government.
Also I just wanted to mention that http://www.callmycongress.com/ has the D.C. phone numbers of your local congresscritters, but you may have to check their websites to get the numbers for district offices (i.e. the ones close to you).
-- ∇×V

The question is incompetence or malevolence? Why not both?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Dunning-Kruger plus Republican functionaries happy to feed him every idea needed to return the country to the era of the Robber Barons?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Do realize that part of the problem we're going to have is that Trump is being incredibly useful as a major distraction while the Republicans go do what government breakage they've always wanted to behind the fireworks, as well as helping to stretch their opposition thinner. I'm suspected they'll hold onto him as long as they can, up to the point he does something that actively interferes with what they're doing, or something that keeping him on will be much more toxic than they're willing to deal with.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

There are ways to comply with the letter of the executive order while still being effective.

Example: Put in a regulation forbidding oil and gas pipelines from crossing navigable waterways. Remove the regulation allowing closed-door hearings into environmental impacts of building oil and gas pipelines. Remove the regulation allowing appeal of refusals to build oil and gas pipelines.

Repeat with appropriate variations across other government departments.

See how long the executive order lasts.
--
Rob Kelk

True. No one says the potential abuse has to profit only the Republicans.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote:Do realize that part of the problem we're going to have is that Trump is being incredibly useful as a major distraction while the Republicans go do what government breakage they've always wanted to behind the fireworks, as well as helping to stretch their opposition thinner. I'm suspected they'll hold onto him as long as they can, up to the point he does something that actively  

Quote:That is the bargain the GOP has with Trump. So watch what congress does as well as Trump.
There are ways to comply with the letter of the executive order while still being effective.
Example: Put in a regulation forbidding oil and gas pipelines from crossing navigable waterways. Remove the regulation allowing closed-door hearings into environmental impacts of building oil and gas pipelines. Remove the regulation allowing appeal of refusals to build oil and gas pipelines.
Repeat with appropriate variations across other government departments.
See how long the executive order lasts.
Implementation with deliberate speed. Making sure the eyes and tees are dotted and crossed. But the cost and fallout?

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Apparently, and unintentionally, your choice of Superbowl beer is now a political statement.

Budweiser inadvertently wades into immigration debate with moving Super Bowl ad

(Includes video of the ad, and video of a non-Superbowl ad for Air Canada.)
--
Rob Kelk

Like that's going to hurt Bud sales.  The guy who wrote that article just didn't think it through.  Nazis, KKK, and I guess lots of other Trump voters are all for northern European white Christians (or pseudo-Christians) immigrating into these parts ('specially if'n they kill Injuns and take their land).  
There was one pro-Trump reader's comment attached to a news article I saw a few weeks back, that said the U.S. passed a law in 1965 allowing Mexican legal immigration (I don't recall anything about a specific law to that effect) — and according to this guy, that law should never have been passed, and ought to be repealed and every Latino who got or was born with U.S. citizenship since '65 be deported.  
To this s.o.b., U.S. citizenship was something "mestizos" — that's the word the vile bastard used — should never, never, NEVER have.  He added that he'd prefer illegal Irish immigrants to legal Mexican immigrants.  Because Irish are white, not brown.  I suppose I should give him some kind of credit for being an openly racist swine, rather than hiding it behind hypocrisy....

Edit:  added parenthesis to clarify one point.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

The new normal...the GOP on the Hill calling our allies to reassure them. Under normal circumstances this would be very poor form. Now?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Trump signs order to begin rolling Dodd-Frank
If this goes thru, the boom and bust begins again. you've been warned.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Well, I did a little protest yesterday on the street corner, in support of health care and Medicare for all.  Quite a bit of support, a lot of honks, including a few very loud ones from truckers.
Though we did have a Trump supporter start yelling at us "fucking communists" from the left-turn lane across the street.  It's kind of a long traffic cycle, so I do what I was trained to do in #perl6 on IRC: hug the trolls.  Got a nice chant going with the group, "We love you!"  You know, giving him the thumbs-up and all.  This just made him angrier, like super-angry, and I'm wondering if we're going to have to save him from a heart attack with Obamacare.  Eventually he screams he's going to come back with his gun and shoot us all.  I'm still saying "I love you man."  Around then the light turns green, and he's gone.
I guess I'm resigned to the fact that some of us are going to have to die to stop Trump, and that I have to be willing to make that sacrifice if the time comes.  Nonviolent movements are often met with violence by those on the other side, and this one's not going to be any different.
-- ∇×V

My observation right now is this:
Bannon is now running the country, while Trump is "Making America Great Again"
In other words, the alt-right is now running the show. In conjunction with big Business.
The GOP will put up with it in return for rushing through their agenda. They have until the mid terms to do it. Because the outrage being generated will be enough to whittle down the GOP majorities at least.
So what do authoritarian governments do when they are in trouble domestically?  Go to war. Expect a conflict to happen sometime during this administration.
With the roll back for regulations designed to break the economic boom and bust cycle and environmental regulations, expect more frequent environmental disasters and also a recession (if we're lucky).
I still haven't heard anyone one yet who voted for him speaking in his defense.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

DHBirr Wrote:Like that's going to hurt Bud sales.  ...
The administration has already publicly called the commercial an insult to them. So, yeah, it's become a political statement.
--
Rob Kelk

A year ago...
[Image: Trump%20vs%20Liberty%201_zpsana8usbn.jpg]...and now.
[Image: Trump%20vs%20Liberty%202_zpseodgosf0.jpg]

Someone attached a comment I admired to a recent Washington Post news article.  It read:
Quote:“First they came for the Muslims, and we said ‘Nope, we’ve seen this s*** before.’”
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.