Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considering building a new computer

Easily, but you might want a little more power supply. Decent Video cards are power-hungry little things.

4 gig memory is functional, and works just fine for CoX.

Go for it man, as long as you have the green-stamps for it, everything seems peachy to me...

Just be prepared to spend a good portion of a day getting everything together and then another couple hours installing all the software. Windows 7 will semi-boot from the install disk as long as you have everything connected properly.

My big point of advice: make quadruply sure your heatsink/fan on your CPU is latched properly.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

I hate to be the buzzkill but that 8400GS is not going to make you happy with CoX.  At least not if you're wanting Ultra Mode.
The relevant post by a redname is here: http://boards.cityofheroe...=system+specs+ultra+mode
Personally, I dislike ATI enough to avoid them like the plague and pay a bit more for Nvidia goodness.  But!  If you're really out to get performance for budget, Tom's Hardware has you covered:
http://www.tomshardware.c...deon-hd-6670,2935-2.html

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

You've only listed 2GB of memory.
For some reason you appear to be orderring two DVD drives.
Better check that your motherboard HAS pata sockets for your DVD drive. Mine doesn't have any.

No PATA sockets, from the Newegg specs, and I hadn't noticed that the DVD-RW drive was doubled. However, he's got two 2GB Ram sticks so he's got the 4 GB RAM. (And that's all that will fit on the Mobo he's picked)

Try Fry's number 6050558 instead, a SATA DVD-RW, same company and is 24x instead of 22x for the same price.

OR
Quote: MEMOREX 24X INT DVDRW

Frys # 6022428

Same specifications 24x, SATA internal drive, $21.99

You've got 4 SATA sockets that come with your Motherboard, so you should be able to fit your goodies.

Did you pick a micro ATX motherboard for a reason other than price point? 'Cause I think that can prevent you from keeping the same motherboard through a couple upgrades.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

In that case, you haven't multiplied the cost of the memory stick for both of them.

Looking at the Motherboard - the part that really scared me when I built mine.

Only 4 Sata sockets would, by my standards, limit your ability to add further hard drives.

Only two memory slots means you can't increase your memory without throwing away your current sticks.

No USB 3.0 sockets.

You might want to check whether the board will be capable of handling AM3+ processors.

Y'know if I was going AMD I'd be looking more at the: ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AMD 870 AM3 Motherboard, FRYS.com #: 6252780 for $88.90, 6 SATA ports, 4 DDR3 sockets and 2 USB 3 ports. The B&M store might not stock it, but they should be able to get it in.

Same with the case, I'd gone for either the Cooler Master Elite 430 Black Mid Tower FRYS.com #: 6432762 or the Thermaltake V3 Black Edition FRYS.com #: 6166019