Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conventions In Texas
Conventions In Texas
Okay, so here I am getting ready to settle back into my home state... now, before I joined the Navy I lamented the fact that Texas never saw much Con action...
No more, though.
I'm going to take an honest stab at attending one or more cons this year.  Here's the list in order of likelihood.
San Japan (San Antonio) - August 5th thru 7th
Geek out in historic, sunny San Antonio.  This year they look to be doing things right on the Riverwalk.  It doesn't get any better than that.
Likelihood? I'd have to be dead not to be at the con going down in my home turf.
(Note: If anyone wants to come, I may be able to talk my Mom into allowing a friend or two to camp out at our place for the weekend.  Be sure to bring a healthy appetite for homemade TexMex.)
IKKiCON (Austin) - December 30th thru January 1st
What's not to love about Austin, the most oddball city in Texas?  Happening this year within spitting distance of the UT Campus.
Likelihood: I'm gonna try hard for this one.  The membership fee is reasonable and it is close enough to just drive on over.
(Note: Enjoy wintertime weather that some may call 'T-shirt weather'.  Show up and I'll show you guys around some of the more interesting spots, and I don't mean Hippy Hallow.)
A-Kon 22 (Dallas) - June 10th thru 12th
Hip and Metropolitan Dallas... Haven't been there in ages, but for this con...
Likelihood: Dallas hasn't been my favorite town (let's face it - the schools use metal detectors).  However, for A-Kon I am gonna make the attempt.
(Note: I know for a fact that it's not gonna be a cheap hotel stay, so I may need to buddy up with someone.)
Oni-Con (Houston) - October 29th thru 31st
I've never been a fan of Houston.  Even people who've lived there and then lived another Texas city don't like it.  Worst?  Haven't heard anything about this year's Oni-Con yet.  Does anyone have anything to say about it?
Likelihood: not much, unless someone gives me an excellent reason.
So... who all's going?

I'm presuming that you mean just anime conventions. Texas is filled with literature and media conventions, and has been for many years. (AggieCon and ArmadilloCon have both been active for more than 30 years.) It's likely that I'll be at A-kon, if only to hang out with friends and hit the room parties. I might be corralled into sitting behind ConDFW's table over on Convention Row, explaining to toon-addled children that conventions do not end and begin with anime, but as I will be coming off of Burning Flipside, that's less of a possibility.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."