Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
real 3D modeling resources.
real 3D modeling resources.
Well, we have a 3d resources thread, but that refers more towards using them to make pretty pictures. I was thinking more of something like this.

Since there is currently a sale on complete DIY kits I decided to finally take advantage of it.

There is thingverse, which has all kinds of cool stuff, like this math toy, or this Ultimate cos-player tool.

I could make the models myself but I haven't done that since I was a freshman in college, I have no clue about the current generation of tools. So does anyone have other cool things to share?
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

WANT!

- CD, for my robot designs. Did you even need to ask?
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Well there are a lot of robot designs on thingverse... Contribute some more!
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10 ... fastb.jpg/]Not http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69 ... bareb.jpg/]that http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69 ... abot1.jpg/]kind http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/discusbot1.jpg/]of http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18 ... 2bot6.jpg/]robot, http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19 ... ether.png/]actually. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/seye.png/]All http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14 ... osite.png/]of http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/22 ... roup1.png/]these http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15 ... nake2.png/]transformables are designed to physically work as a toy, though obviously they'd need models specifically designed for the purpose to be reprap printable rather than the low-poly, gaming-style originals. My Fenspace avatar Wave Convoy as well.

- dNN
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

What's the resolution on one of these? Can I use one to print out a good-looking gaming miniature yet?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

0.1mm from reading the specs on the DIY page, I believe.

- CD
--

There is accuracy and minimum feature size, some people have made theirs accurate to well below 0.01 mm, but there is not really much point since the plastic you lay down is 0.5 mm wide or so. Of course a smaller nozzle will get you better results but they are also more prone to failure.

the get an idea on how gaming minies would look take a look at these squirels. So good enough for some gaming models, but you won't be able to make the same level of detail as say GW. That said I am going to try and print some custom bits for my army Smile

About what I expected - fit & finish work would be necessary for my purposes, but since I'd be going for the 8-10 inch range for 'toys' it wuldn't be a big deal. For miniatures, I imagine the usual bubble-and-gap-filling measures would suffice to smooth out the deposition ridges. Intentional fine details... well, get used to etching them in yourself with a pin, I guess, possibly with the aid of a thin layer of epoxy putty over a printed armature. Worked well enough when I was making my own entirely from Green Stuff.

- CD
--
Resolution
Actually, the resolution is getting pretty good on these little DIY machines:  Here for example.

And, I bit the bullet.  I'm roughly 1/3 through building my pieced-together Prusa already (just started two weeks ago, and on Friday they released the much-improved 2.0 design, AARGH!), but the Hux looks like a good hedge against my lack of mechanical building skills on the Prusa.  

Plus, I'm really toying around with the idea of approaching my local (semi-rural) Junior-high and high-schools about STEM stuff, and having an extra working 3D printer just to carry around to schools and (hopefully) light up student imaginations could be very good.

You know CD once I get my printer I'll try to print those and put up pictures of how they come out Smile

And yay for having another board member with a printer.

Really? The one linked from the first "of" is probably the closest to being toy-ready (and intended for the 2-3 inch scale at that,) but the design as intended relies on being able to form ball joints, which ABS is not flexible enough for. I don't know about PLA plastic at all. I think it could be redone for ABS with hinge pins (or holes to add a metal pin) and two-part glued together sockets, though. Even then, I'd need to do a fair bit of reworking to part it out, but am willing if you want to give it a try. Is there a Blender plugin for the file format? I suppose it's not a big deal if not since it's a matter of putting each part in a separate file anyway, so getting them modeled and then exported as a collection of .DXFs would just mean delivering a .7z or .zip, the former usually being smaller.

Adapting the posed models as they exist to be made as a single or a few parts would of course be considerably easier.

And, of course, the translucent fluorescent green bits would probably need to be solid, and I don't expect you to buy specical colored plastic just to make a litle toy. Actually, it was "meant" to be cast with three colors (green, silver, deep grey/black) and have three colors of paint (red, gold, and white on the emblems, if they're black inserts, or else just gold and red paint and full color sticker or tampographed emblems rather than molded depending on the process available.)

- CD
--

Blender files should be printable, it's what a lot of people use for designing stuff. You can even print obj files which are not much more than raw triangle information.

I'll need to do some scaling and calibration but hopefully it should all just work. If you have joint designs we can test them and see if they work, if they do not we can always just print them into a fixed pose.

It'll be a good test/learning experience once I get my printer in a month or so.

Well, I'll work up some test joint parts - another option would be to get some of the generic poly-caps used by mecha modelers, though that would pretty well eliminate any chance of doing it at the 2-3 inch scale. As to that, pretty much all of these are modeled at around 6-8 Blender units wide and 15-16 tall. How that works out to printable physical size you'll need to tell me.

- CD
--

Cool. The conversion works out to 1 blender unit = 1 mm, so as long as the largest fit on a 140 by 140 sheet (and less than 100 units tall) it should be fine. Of course the parts should probably be scaled up by a factor of 10 if you want them to be of reasonable size. Details smaller than 2 blender units probably won't print.

This will make a fun test to see if I can take a model and print it and how much work is involved. SmileAlso for coloring I can always print on of these. Though probably not for the first few prints.

Here's an important - nay, critical - question - can the machines grow a flat "roof" on a hollow part by starting from a support and adding the line of plastic at an edge, or are they limited to a certain angle of overhang? If the latter, working out how to section the complex shapes so everything is built from solid end to open end will be a puzzle.

- CD
--

I know that some models of 3D printers accomplish stuff like that by using multiple materials and filling the "hollow" parts with a compound that washes away with water or some other gentle solvent. Dunno about these homebrew systems, though.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

The home fabbers are more or less squeezing hot glue guns and making shapes with the line of "glue" as it dries, versus the additive/subtractive commercial grades. ISTR one that made papier mache models by layering paper and laser-cutting it as it went. And then there are the sintering dropbox printers that fill a box with powdered material and fuse it with a laser, dropping the focal point bit by bit and leaving the unfused powder as a support.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Some people have gotten it working, but it tends to be a far more complicated (and expensive) setup.

the general rule of thumb is that there is a maximum of 45 degree overhang, though if properly calibrated they can do 90 degree 'bridges'. Ie: print at almost any overhang as long as it's strait to another point. It will likely take me a while to properly calibrate the machine, so the 45 degree rule should probably be observed.

Okay. Will put a couple logs under the boiler to get thinking.

- CD
--

This is a calibration test item of what the output of an extremely well tuned machine looks like.

I won't be printing at this level for months, if ever, unless I get really lucky. Then again this is a new model Huxley which is supposed to be good at fine detail. I guess we'll find out together once I build the machine.

Even most of the commercial ones are usually strictly additive or subtractive, but most of the additive ones have some form of support material. Then again the plastics they use are specially prepared and tend to cost more than 100 times as much as the plastic for the RepRaps.

CattyNebulart Wrote:%[link=http://www.thingiverse.com/derivative:15930]This] is a calibration test item of what the output of an extremely well tuned machine looks like.
So, are those "steps" big enough to walk on? Or is this another case of the second half of http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0188.html]this webstrip?

I really wish people would stop taking photos of unknown objects without something known for comparison purposes. (Yes, this is an "unknown object" to anyone who isn't already using a home 3D printer.) This tells me almost nothing about the capabilities of the device that created it.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

considering that the biggest build volumes are around 30cm by 30cm I seriously doubt they are big enough for that. Then again there is that one printer that prints building sized things in concrete...

Here is an example with a makerbot for scale. Doesn't tell you anything about the size of the other one unfortunately.

Huh apparently the repraps have already solved the sup[port material issue;

That's what I get for not paying attention to the project for a little over half a year I guess.

Actually, that's very nearly the solution I'd come to, except mine ends up with a hollow, honeycombed part with just a couple of holes to keep air expansion/contraction from being an issue. I'd actually expect the result to actually be more stable than a standard injection-molded piece, given the number of plastic kits I've gotten with a greater or lesser degree of warping right out of the box. A 45 degree overhang can do a lot when you have a bunch of flat cells side by side after all.

- CD
--

Whee, it's shipped. I should have my printer pieces in a few days. Then it's on to assembly.