Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
Part IX can be found here.

Opening the new thread with a note that I have read all the material and cast my votes, at least on the username policy.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
Just a heads-up -- the wiki's been stuck in 503 backend fetch failure mode for at least half an hour now.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
It seems to be good now.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Yeah, for the last hour or so now.
-- Bob

Another error. I tried to go to the talk page of the user with the tasteful handle of "HornyLikeIAmA14YearOldGirl", and got this:
Quote:[13a3b24ffaa0c09e380c1c7e] 2017-09-19 20:40:40: Fatal exception of type MWContentSerializationException
-- Bob

(09-19-2017, 03:41 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Another error.  I tried to go to the talk page of the user with the tasteful handle of "HornyLikeIAmA14YearOldGirl", and got this:
Quote:[13a3b24ffaa0c09e380c1c7e] 2017-09-19 20:40:40: Fatal exception of type MWContentSerializationException

That looks like the error that I mentioned in the last thread, where accounts created at some point after the forced migration from Orain have unreachable User Talk pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Except this is a user who created their account some time in the last couple months.
-- Bob

So, after the forced migration from Orain.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
<blinks, looks> Um. Yeah.

I read that the other way 'round earlier. Sorry.
-- Bob

This is a fluff post - ignore if you choose.

Still here?

I went and looked at WikiStats's page for Miraheze, as I sometimes do. Since the last time I looked, two weeks ago, the freebie wiki has inched up the standings when one sorts by number of "good" pages, and now has a tenuous hold on second place. The freebie wiki is still in third place if one sorts by number of edits, and eighth place if one sorts by number of files. (Considering the freebie wiki is dedicated to free resources for making 3D images, that low standing in the files list is a bit irksome.)

It'll take 4991 more edits and 6475 more images for the freebie wiki to slip into second place, assuming the folks over at bigforest stop editing and the folks at sidem, arefepva, 8station, maiasongcontest, whentheycry, and armyclicker stop adding images. Not impossible - some of those wikis are low-change - but it'll take a while.

It'll take 144,643 "Good" pages, 1,201,972 edits, and 57,537 images to make number 1 - and that assumes everybody stops editing ATT right now. Yeah, good luck with that dream - there's no way we've missed over 140,000 free resources to make pages about. Undecided
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-26-2017, 07:00 PM)robkelk Wrote: This is a fluff post - ignore if you choose.

Still here?

I went and looked at WikiStats's page for Miraheze, as I sometimes do. Since the last time I looked, two weeks ago, the freebie wiki has inched up the standings when one sorts by number of "good" pages, and now has a tenuous hold on second place. The freebie wiki is still in third place if one sorts by number of edits, and eighth place if one sorts by number of files. (Considering the freebie wiki is dedicated to free resources for making 3D images, that low standing in the files list is a bit irksome.)

It'll take 4991 more edits and 6475 more images for the freebie wiki to slip into second place, assuming the folks over at bigforest stop editing and the folks at sidem, arefepva, 8station, maiasongcontest, whentheycry, and armyclicker stop adding images. Not impossible - some of those wikis are low-change - but it'll take a while.

It'll take 144,643 "Good" pages, 1,201,972 edits, and 57,537 images to make number 1 - and that assumes everybody stops editing ATT right now. Yeah, good luck with that dream - there's no way we've missed over 140,000 free resources to make pages about.  Undecided

We seem to be stuck at 47 active users, which I think if a false statistic and does not reflect the actual size, as it would mean we've stayed at the exact same active users for over half a year
(09-27-2017, 03:12 AM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(09-26-2017, 07:00 PM)robkelk Wrote: This is a fluff post - ignore if you choose.

Still here?

It'll take 144,643 "Good" pages, 1,201,972 edits, and 57,537 images to make number 1 - and that assumes everybody stops editing ATT right now. Yeah, good luck with that dream - there's no way we've missed over 140,000 free resources to make pages about.  Undecided

We seem to be stuck at 47 active users, which I think if a false statistic and does not reflect the actual size, as it would mean we've stayed at the exact same active users for over half a year

I suspect that's a case of user churn being steady - we're losing as many as we're gaining.

(The freebie wiki, OTOH, actually does have a static editor base - I can list them all by screen name by memory if I need to. This is an issue, but not yet a big one.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I and Geth are pretty confident that it's not the case of a static base.
So... is something along the lines of "lefty bassist" tropeworthy? I'm sometimes unsure where the line is drawn between "trope" and "People Sit on Chairs".

(I ask because I discovered last night that the bassist in The Reverb Syndicate plays a left-handed bass, so there's one Real Life example right there. In anime and manga, there's Mio in K-On! One more example and we can launch this thing - if it's a thing.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
https://allthetropes.org/wiki/The_Southpaw
Of course I was being too specific. Thanks.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Tz6x558gvyjqqaoi

SelfCloak requests admin.
I see four admins saying "yes"... is that enough of a supermajority?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'd prefer seeing if Brent has any objections.
Probably, yeah. <grin>
-- Bob

Yeah, I approved the request, and went ahead and implemented it.

Also, I deleted all of the page patrol logs from everything before March of this year. It saved something like a half a gigabyte of database space. I did ask Geth first, but mainly to check if there was any possible use of the information, because I sure couldn't think of one.

The authoritative sense of "patrolled" is kept in the recentchanges table, which means that everything older than 90 days is autopatrolled anyway.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(10-02-2017, 09:50 PM)Labster Wrote: Yeah, I approved the request, and went ahead and implemented it.

Also, I deleted all of the page patrol logs from everything before March of this year.  It saved something like a half a gigabyte of database space.  I did ask Geth first, but mainly to check if there was any possible use of the information, because I sure couldn't think of one.

The authoritative sense of "patrolled" is kept in the recentchanges table, which means that everything older than 90 days is autopatrolled anyway.

So what is the actual size of the ATT database as it stands today?
The Wiki has been throwing 503 Backend Fetch errors for at least an hour now -- I tried to open a page from home at about 7:10 and here from work a minute ago, both with the same result. Meta.miraheze is also reporting a 503.

ETA: The eternal 503 Task on Phabricator has already been revived and pushed to Unbreak Now! priority as of half an hour ago (8:15 AM EDT); meanwhile the error continues.
-- Bob

I'm getting 503s on Meta and the freebie wiki as well, so this isn't just an ATT thing.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, it's certainly not. The current active status of the Phabricator Task is from someone with yet another wiki on Miraheze -- it seems like the entire farm is down.
-- Bob