Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
Why do we have "Category:Heartwarming", "Category:Heartwarming Moments", and "Category:Heartwarming Moments (Sugar Wiki)"?

EDIT: Okay, "Category:Heartwarming Moments" is for the base page and its subpages. "Category:Heartwarming Moments (Sugar Wiki)" (23 pages) looks to me to be a duplicate of "Category:Heartwarming" (3,617 pages), so I'm tossing it shortly.

RE-EDIT: Okay, that's done. All 23 pages have the Sugar Wiki template on them now, too (excepting only "Heartwarming Moments/Playing With").
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Argh. Been trying to work on the wiki while looking out over the ocean, but except for one day, Chrome on my tablet insists it's an insecure site and won't let me at it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(07-11-2018, 08:46 PM)robkelk Wrote: Back to our wiki, if I may.

I've been sorting the examples in Completely Different Title all evening, and I'm still not done. (The German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish sections still need to be sorted - if somebody else wants to get to them before me, I won't complain. There's a reason I left these sections for last... they're big.)

EDIT: Down to just Portuguese and Russian as of midday Thursday, plus that one French example. Maybe this'll be done by tomorrow.

There's one example in the French section that I don't know where to sort: "Street Smart was simply named La Rue (The Street)." "Street Smart" links to the trope. Wikipedia tells me there are at least three different works with that name; a film, a TV series, and a video game. Does anybody happen to know which one this is?

A day later than I expected (I kept getting sidetracked by other things that only took a few minutes each to fiix), but that's done now.

In addition to the unsortable French example I already mentioned, there are three unsortable Russian examples. One links to a trope page, one is a redlink, and the other links to a disambiguation page.

Somebody else gets to put the cap on sorting "Completely Different Title".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
So, while I've known for a while that TVT blocks ad-blockers, I've never actually run into it myself until just yesterday. And I noted that the page they throw up in the face of anyone who doesn't want to see claims that they need the ad revenue to pay their content creators.

Well. I haven't received my paycheck from them recently. Or at all.

Maybe we should bill them? <grin>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
ISTR suggesting that the last time somebody mentioned that screen.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well then, it has been moved and seconded...
-- Bob

I finally had time to look at the monthly site update message on Meta.

If we haven't already, I think we should activate Extension:TwoColConflict for ease of editing.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Seconded. That looks like a very handy tool to have
-- Bob

It appears that a mere Administrator does not have the rights to access the page where extensions can be turned on and off - that page is restricted to Bureaucrats only.

Luckily, all three of ATTs Bureaucrats have accounts here, so... Pretty Please?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-17-2018, 01:36 PM)robkelk Wrote: It appears that a mere Administrator does not have the rights to access the page where extensions can be turned on and off - that page is restricted to Bureaucrats only.

Luckily, all three of ATTs Bureaucrats have accounts here, so... Pretty Please?

I unilaterally support elevating Rob to Bureaucrat.

Any objections?
None here.
-- Bob

I'm flattered, guys. (Although I thought I was asking "please turn on the extension".)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-17-2018, 04:07 PM)robkelk Wrote: I'm flattered, guys. (Although I thought I was asking "please turn on the extension".)

Rob, given how you wanted to do so, I'd like you to have the honors.

And since a majority of the current bureaucrats have no objections and frankly, we have no reason to believe you would ever abuse those powers, I'm handing you a bureaucrat flag.

Wave it with pride.
Done.

And thank you for the trust you're showing me.

EDIT: I trust this edit is acceptable. Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I keep forgetting that I have the power to do stuff like that, by the way. I really should learn how to use it.
-- Bob

Oh, it's great fun to have access to the settings that can actually break the wiki. (I almost never use them, myself.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
'Scuse me, I was browsing ATT and found the page for the webcomic Samurai Princess. I also discovered that the links on that page (all of them, I'm guessing; certainly the three or four I tried) lead to a message that the site samuraiprincess.com is for sale. Googling, I found no live link to the webcomic; the nearest thing was a profile on smackjeeves.com, which says Samurai Princess has been on hiatus for seven years.

I added a note about this to the page. What if anything is appropriate further behavior for me in this matter? Should I go back to ATT's Samurai Princess page and clear out the dead links so they don't waste anyone's time? Or is such a final step a job for an Administrator/Bureacrat/Whatever?

-----
“We’ve had our differences, but he’s seen the light … and I made sure he moved toward it, instead of coming back.”
I'd check the Wayback Machine to see if the linked pages exist there. If they do, replace the links. If they don't, put {{broken link}} after each one.

In either case, the article should be revised to indicate the webcomic is dead. Oh, and if there is no content in the Wayback Machine, add {{MIA}} to the top of the page, underneath {{work}}.
-- Bob

(07-20-2018, 08:45 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I'd check the Wayback Machine to see if the linked pages exist there.  If they do, replace the links.  If they don't, put {{broken link}} after each one.

In either case, the article should be revised to indicate the webcomic is dead.  Oh, and if there is no content in the Wayback Machine, add {{MIA}} to the top of the page, underneath {{work}}.

Supposedly there's something on the Wayback Machine, but I can't get any page of Samurai Princess to show the main image except what's apparently the very first. Any other page I try to look at, I get either a Samurai Princess frame with non-functional control buttons and no artwork, an error message, or some variant on the "For Sale" message.

I'll go back to ATT and add {{broken link}} and {{MIA}}, then.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Fair enough. Thanks!
-- Bob

Miraheze is 3 years old today!

<deadpan> Yay. </deadpan>

I'm a bureaucrat at two of the top three wikis at Miraheze!

<deadpan> Yay. </deadpan>

--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just updated our photo of Winston Churchill. I hope I did the licensing correctly.

Did I just set a precedent for wiki policy in cases like this one?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just edited Feghoot: s/{{trope}}/{{trope|wppage=Feghoot}}/ The Wikipedia tab did not appear. Is this a bug or a feature?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
503s are bad enough; now we're getting 404s. ATT only; the freebie wiki's still available.

EDIT: And we're back.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And that's 300 messages. Time for a new thread.
-- Bob