Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
(12-01-2017, 07:00 AM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(11-30-2017, 01:35 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I think we've just had a return of a strange little vandal.  Back in February of this year, an anonymous user wandered in and replaced the Architecture section of the 'Pataphysics page with a bit of nonsense that looked like it could have been the first sentence of a larger case of comment spam.  It was of course reverted and the IP banned.

And just today, nine months later, another anonymous user wandered by and replaced the Architecture section of the 'Pataphysics page with a different bit of nonsense that looked like it could have been the first sentence of a larger case of comment spam.  Revert and ban, of course, but, just... why?  What purpose does it serve?

Probably a bot poorly written to the point it edits sites from ' onwards, so that it is easily predictable.

I don't see it being anything more interesting than that.

If that was the case, why edit 'Pataphysics instead of 'Allo 'Allo! and 'Gator Bait?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(12-01-2017, 08:13 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(12-01-2017, 07:00 AM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(11-30-2017, 01:35 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I think we've just had a return of a strange little vandal.  Back in February of this year, an anonymous user wandered in and replaced the Architecture section of the 'Pataphysics page with a bit of nonsense that looked like it could have been the first sentence of a larger case of comment spam.  It was of course reverted and the IP banned.

And just today, nine months later, another anonymous user wandered by and replaced the Architecture section of the 'Pataphysics page with a different bit of nonsense that looked like it could have been the first sentence of a larger case of comment spam.  Revert and ban, of course, but, just... why?  What purpose does it serve?

Probably a bot poorly written to the point it edits sites from ' onwards, so that it is easily predictable.

I don't see it being anything more interesting than that.

If that was the case, why edit 'Pataphysics instead of 'Allo 'Allo! and 'Gator Bait?

i told you it was poorly written
For the second time today (at least), it's the return of everybody's "favourite" number... 503!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
This web comic, final panel - what's the trope?

(It isn't Precision F-Strike - there's no actual swearing.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
...some variety of "Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping"? "Oh, Me Social Class's Dialect Is Slippin'"?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
If we don't have the trope listed yet, somebody (me) should put together a page in the Trope Workshop...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Page started, and I even remembered a second example (possibly the Trope Codifier): Eliza Doolittle at Ascot.
https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Trope_Work...Slippin%27

EDIT: So much for populating the compare-and-contrast section of that page. You Know That Trope with the real-world name "putting on airs"? What do we call it?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
would Eggsy's last comment to Valentine in Kingsmen: The Secret Service count?

From Valentine's viewpoint, the kid had been sounding rather uppercrust, the whole time before dropping 'This ain't that kind of movie, Bro.'
Sure, why not? Add it in!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I've got a couple from BTVS I'm going to add -- because what's a trope page without "Buffy" examples?

Edit: Here's a situation where I'm know the possibility exists, but I'm wondering if it ever happened: Rapper Tupac Shakur was, before he was a gangsta rapper, a ballet dancer. (Don't believe me? Google "tupac ballet". You'll find videos.) At least one article I've read described him as "soft-spoken" and "effeminate" during that period of his life. Does anyone know if he ever broke character during his time as a gangsta?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Tupac was a more complex individual than you realised, and that those two facts do not need to be mutually exclusive. He is a real human being, not a fictional character.

Tupac was known to be well read and was completely open about this aspect of his life. Tupac was mostly raised by women (with affiliations with the Black Power movement) and that showed in various ways.

Being into the arts does not mean you are not masculine or aggressive, what if I told you his Thug Life concept that he created stood for “The hate you give little infants fucks everyone.” and was actually about bringing gangs together to restore order and use political action against the government.

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/c...t=IT1PIS9G
My only point here was that the persona he presented as a rapper was not the persona he presented at other points in his life, and in that sense was a much a character as "Borat" is for Sasha Baron Cohen. The sources I've read suggest the quiet, well-read Tupac was more likely to have been the "real" Tupac, and with that in mind I used "breaking character" to mean reverting to that persona in contexts where the gangasta would have been expected.

We can use characterization tropes to describe real people because the tropes, ultimately, are based on observations of real people, extracted and abstracted for the use of crafting fictional ones. It's an ouroboros, and there is no shame or disrespect in using tropes so. Real people do affect different personas for different contexts, and sometimes slip.
-- Bob

Borat is an entirely fictional persona/character though, Tupac just had facets to his personality. I'm not saying to not use tropes for a real person, I'm just saying that characterising either side as fake or disingenuous is false, you can be both and both be legitimate.
Ack... Don't have time to file a Phab ticket right now. Categories aren't updating again.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Lulz, you're taking my metaphorical usages as literal. That's not the case.
-- Bob

(12-08-2017, 08:46 AM)LulzKiller Wrote: Borat is an entirely fictional persona/character though, Tupac just had facets to his personality. I'm not saying to not use tropes for a real person, I'm just saying that characterising either side as fake or disingenuous is false, you can be both and both be legitimate.

Er... It was my intention to use "Oh, Me Social Class's Dialect Is Slippin'" for accidental slips made by people who are doing their best to fit in to a new social class, and "Putting on Airs" for purposeful attempts to make people think one is in a different social class than one actually is. Did I fail to make the distinction?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The words "broke character" just had a particular irking as even if unintentional does carry a certain inference.
The Wiki is throwing 500 errors.  It's not the farm as a whole, because Meta is just fine.

Edit: And now, half an hour later, some pages are opening just fine, and others are throwing [33ccedace328090e9f9197a5] 2017-12-12 20:34:51: Fatal exception of type MWException-type errors.
-- Bob

What happened with the Recent Changes page? There's a set of radio buttons on top (options being blank, "This page", "Utilities", "Community", and "Troper Portals") and what look like all the portal links in a big blob.

Also, random pages are throwing errors like this
Quote:MediaWiki internal error.

Original exception: [0d04b61099be268bfeecc0fe] 2017-12-13 13:52:41: Fatal exception of type "MWException"

Exception caught inside exception handler.

Set $wgShowExceptionDetails = true; at the bottom of LocalSettings.php to show detailed debugging information.
when you try to open them and for some reloads as well.
-- Bob

A few minor things changed during yesterday's upgrade. Somebody with better coding skills than me will have to update that page to match the updated engine.

(It seems I can't turn off the dialog box that pops up by default when clicking the insert link button, either.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
... Still getting random "internal errors" when trying to open pages.
-- Bob

Likewise.

I was going to ask whether this was something we'd be seeing the first time any particular page was referenced since the upgrade, but it happened to me last night on Special:Recent Changes...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And now another symptom.  I just tried to add a category via HotCat and got thrown into an open edit page with 

Quote:It appears that your browser does not support Unicode. It is required to edit pages, so your edit was not saved.
 in red above the textbox.

It should go without saying that this is the same browser I've been using for months? years?  And it damned well does support Unicode.
-- Bob

Likewise, on the freebie wiki - see attached image. Something's wrong between the new MediaWiki and HotCat.

Also, I get this when trying to reply to a Talk thread on ATT:
Error: Module ext.visualEditor.data has failed dependencies

What's the Phabricator ticket number for post-upgrade glitches, so that we can update it with all our reports?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Here's the Phabricator ticket Void created on the issue last night.

It's got the MWExceptions and the visual editor error, but not the HotCat issue or anything else.  I don't remember my login -- my browser at home has it -- so someone else who isn't as location-dependent as I should probably add them.
-- Bob