Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
Plans for upgrading our site to work better
I am currently testing several new features in localhost right now for implementation on our wiki, in the hopes of improving several features, improving our SEO, and generally making our site more user friendly.

They are as follows:

1. Plan to reintroduce WikiForum: We had to remove it awhile back due to several issues, but it should be mature enough for actual use now, and it has two advantages over our current flow based Forum.

A. SEO is better since Google can index it's pages much easier and links are less ugly and more descriptive than for Flow based pages.
B. Lower overhead in terms of resource usage, (faster loading pages)
C. (Bonus) Hooks in nicely with SocialProfile and takes advantage of it's avatar upload feature.

2. Fixing several uses of SocialProfile for better usability: I intend to implement the rest of the known features of SP, which should provide a better way to see which users are online, provide better ways for users to socialize, and generally make ATT a more collaborative website.

3. Improving internal search results: We have a crippled install of the Related Articles extension, and by simply requesting a few extra extensions for it, we can see new page recommendations in page footers, which also has the added bonus of adding more page metadata for SEO purposes.

Note: This one I can get working, needs some setting changes to work, and I'll have to use my bot to add some metatags, but it works, I just can't implement the automatic version of this extension because it would require Miraheze get another server for the backend tech.

4. Implementing page ratings: I plan to port over quality assessment of articles for ATT, tailored specifically for our needs, which should provide a more intuitive way to look up articles that need help or improvement.

These features are currently being tested and I will provide a report on how well they function after testing is completed, and before implementing these suggestions for production use, I would like opinions and suggestions from the community about these proposed upgrades.

Messages In This Thread
Something's broken again - by Bob Schroeck - 11-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Heads up on a new contributor - by Bob Schroeck - 11-17-2017, 08:39 AM
RE: Heads up on a new contributor - by robkelk - 11-17-2017, 09:52 AM
OK, this is weird... - by Bob Schroeck - 12-18-2017, 06:46 PM
RE: OK, this is weird... - by SelfCloak - 12-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Just a heads-up - by Bob Schroeck - 01-19-2018, 12:45 PM
Plans for upgrading our site to work better - by GethN7 - 01-30-2018, 06:36 PM
Prototype related pages feature - by GethN7 - 01-31-2018, 07:07 PM
Behold our new forum prototype - by GethN7 - 02-01-2018, 02:32 PM
New User To Keep An Eye On - by Bob Schroeck - 02-08-2018, 04:40 PM
RE: New User To Keep An Eye On - by GethN7 - 02-08-2018, 05:35 PM