Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
(02-09-2018, 09:22 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Yeah, I saw!  Thanks!

And here's another thing I wish I knew enough about MediaWiki's guts to determine for myself -- can we limit page moves/renames to Admins?  We've had a couple people swoop in and arbitrarily change page names because they didn't like them in the last week or two -- and god knows we had a hell of a lot problems from that one guy with the god/deity rename fixation a year or so back.  Forcing people to propose renames because they can't just do it on a whim would save us a lot of reverts in the future.  (Although as a side effect it does mean only an admin can launch a trope out of the Workshop.)

We can protect individual pages so that they can only be moved or deleted by Admins (I've been working on that for the last couple of days and am halfway through the Nudity Tropes). I don't know whether there's a switch for the entire wiki, but I suspect that there's a "move" right and a "delete" right that can be changed.

(02-09-2018, 11:45 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: And now, another subject entirely.

Some 14 or 15 months ago, I think it was Brent complained about category pages that were articles.  We never did anything about it, but while clearing out the contents of the Unused Categories page I've just stumbled across an example that pretty much argues his case for him with eloquence and wit.  

Gentlemen, Behold!  Category:Ho Yay.  An entire hierarchy of trope page and subpages living as a category and subcategories, and ghosted into the main namespace by way of redirects.  The one that came up in Unused Categories, Category:Ho Yay/Other, lists dozens of examples across eight media types, but registers as "unused" because there's no page out there that actually has this category, y'know, on it.  

This needs fixing now.  And its co-conspirators lurking in category space need to be found and fixed as well.

Does anybody have a tool that can go through the List of Redirects and pull out everything that redirects to a category? That would give us a starting list of pages we might need to deal with.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
Something's broken again - by Bob Schroeck - 11-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Heads up on a new contributor - by Bob Schroeck - 11-17-2017, 08:39 AM
RE: Heads up on a new contributor - by robkelk - 11-17-2017, 09:52 AM
OK, this is weird... - by Bob Schroeck - 12-18-2017, 06:46 PM
RE: OK, this is weird... - by SelfCloak - 12-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Just a heads-up - by Bob Schroeck - 01-19-2018, 12:45 PM