Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XII
I'm tempted to move this page from the TVTropes fork into the Trope Workshop... Should I?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Move it.

Actually I noticed the All Blue set a long time ago, but on the scale of stupid gags a section only of the TVT crowd cares about, it rated pretty low compared to Pantheons.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Rob, did you get a chance to restrict the talk pages like we were discussing yesterday?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
No, not yet. If you have a global command for that, go ahead.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It looks like Wikipedia uses twinkle to run global semi-protection tasks. I don't know whether we can get that for ATT - it looks pretty powerful. (Could it be installed set so that only bureaucrats can use it?)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I had time to get the software to auto-generate the list of pages to be semi-protected, but I haven't started the protection yet.
EDIT: 171 pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-12-2018, 07:46 AM)robkelk Wrote: No, not yet. If you have a global command for that, go ahead.

If I understand correctly what I read in the MediaWiki help pages, there isn't one.  You have to make changes to the LocalSettings.php file, with an appropriate $wg* setting or settings.  See this manual page for more info.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Quick heads-up -- don't ping SomeWeirdo for the big delete they just did on Glee/YMMV -- I tracked it back, and they're deleting their own contributions.
-- Bob

Could somebody who isn't logged in all the time try to edit Talk:Complete Monster/Live Action TV , please? I want confirmation that page protection works with structured pages.

Also, the "/LQT Archive 1" pages won't load.
Quote:No such action

The page is being handled by Structured Discussions, but the Title class indicates that the content model is 'wikitext'. This is a misconfiguration or inconsistent state. For example, this may actually be a non-Structured Discussions page in a Structured Discussions namespace, with rev_content_model not populated.

Return to Main Page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-12-2018, 06:53 PM)robkelk Wrote: Could somebody who isn't logged in all the time try to edit Talk:Complete Monster/Live Action TV , please? I want confirmation that page protection works with structured pages.

I checked with an incognito tab, the protection works.
Thanks.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I've made a dent in the pile, one page at a time.

Here's what's left to do.

If you semi-protect any of those pages, please take them off that list.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Bob and I have semiprotected all of the live "Talk:Complete Monster/*" pages... except:

I didn't start the "*/LQT Archive 1" pages, just in case they needed to be unprotected in order to be fixed.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I should note that when Rob says "Bob and I", he really means, "Bob did a few in between other things, and I did the vast majority".
-- Bob

Quote:(Ron) settled the mental dissonance by reminding himself that Minister Fudge had been a Slythirin.

Smart enough to invent the Terrifus curse. Brave and good enough to have his own Fear curse outlawed the moment he realized what he had done, even if it meant he'd forever be remembered as the creator of the fourth unforgivable.

In the most recent part of Power he knows not [Harry Potter/Familiar of Zero], Quickdeath007 writes about this event from Fudge's perspective, weaponizing his weakness by forcing his fear out onto an attacker. Ya got a trope for that? I did some searching with "weaponize" and "weakness" but but mostly came up with things that amount to taking advantage of an enemy's secret/embarrassing/etc. weakness, rather than turning the user's personal failing into a weapon. It might be a theme too uncommon to consider a trope, since the only other examples I can think of per se are 'powered by perversion' characters like Happosai, whatsizname MC from City Hunter, (arguably) Kirche von Zebst, Issei Hyoudou, etc., or maybe 'powered by prudishness' like Naru and M-something-sword-girl from Love Hina, which would count but undoubtedly have their own specific cases already.

Can anyone suggest more examples that wouldn't already be covered well enough by an existing trope, or one that this does clearly fall under? I'll admit I'm mostly just hoping for some more things to read with an interesting 'turn things on their head' moment, but the academic curiosity about the theme in its own right is there.

e: Grrr, accidentally double-posted instead of editing somehow. Deleted the extra.
--
‎noli esse culus
Angst Nuke is kind of related.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(08-26-2018, 10:42 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, oh wow.  I just realized.  We can now actually start up the "Weirdest Inbound Link" stuff again.

And I'm doing that now, in the project namespace.
-- Bob

(09-18-2018, 09:44 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(08-26-2018, 10:42 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, oh wow.  I just realized.  We can now actually start up the "Weirdest Inbound Link" stuff again.

And I'm doing that now, in the project namespace.

Just gave the page a link, of the "more amusing than weird" type.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Cool. Meanwhile, I'm digging through the Matomo online docs looking for a way to get more detail, particularly full URLs for both source and destination. I've found info on getting the former; the latter should be available but I haven't found it yet. And they have a C# solution for querying their API, so I think I'll be creating a "weirdest inbound link" application soon.

EDIT: Brent, Geth, anyone -- who created the Analytics special page, anyway? And why doesn't it give us the level of detail that Matomo can provide?
-- Bob

... Random question.

Why is it that subpages tagged with the {{creator}} template appear in Category:Creator, while subpages tagged with {{work}} do not appear in Category:Work and subpages tagged with {{trope}} don't appear in Category:Trope? Right now it's actually useful to me, as the vast majority of misidentified pages are subpages of creators (for a couple different reasons), but when I'm done going through them it would be nice if creator subpages behaved the same as the other two.
-- Bob

I agree - some consistency on the wiki would be lovely. (How many different formats do we have for message boxes on pages, again? There's at least three.)

Over on the freebie wiki, we categorize to the most specific classification (e.g., a vehicle model isn't a "vehicle", it's a "spacecraft" or a "motorcycle" or some other specific type). I suggest the same at ATT, unless people like categories with multi-thousand entry lists.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
What was the gadget that was supposed to enforce choosing a license when uploading an image? Is it installed? Do we need to turn it on?
-- Bob

Also... I think we have another Jade Shauni issue. Check out the new Gatling Gears article posted by new user WENth100 on Friday. Compare it and its YMMV page to their counterparts on TVT. It's another "rewrite every individual sentence" repost, except not every sentence got a rewrite. I just want to give folks a chance to say "don't" before I delete the pages and send him a warning about the copyright issue.

Edit: It would be nice if we had some kind of gadget that would take a new user through a tutorial on what is needed for an article the first time they try to create one.
-- Bob

Nuke it.

EDIT: Extension:GettingStarted, maybe?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-24-2018, 11:23 AM)robkelk Wrote: Nuke it.

That's a vote I trust.  It's gone.

(09-24-2018, 11:23 AM)robkelk Wrote: EDIT: Extension:GettingStarted, maybe?
Oooh, that looks very nice.  I'm going to have to spend some non-work time studying it first, though.
-- Bob