Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XV
I know we have it in a couple of places, but the one I just found is All The Tropes:Trope Namer Syndrome (which isn't the one I wanted to find, which I just saw a few days ago, of course). In short, the idea was to forestall naming tropes after specific instances from existing works (like "The Spock") on the grounds of Small Reference Pools. This obviously doesn't apply to "The Gambling Addict", but I see nothing about the definitive article in that trope name that offers any advantage over just calling it "Gambling Addict".
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(03-05-2020, 08:17 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I know we have it in a couple of places, but the one I just found is All The Tropes:Trope Namer Syndrome (which isn't the one I wanted to find, which I just saw a few days ago, of course).  In short, the idea was to forestall naming tropes after specific instances from existing works (like "The Spock") on the grounds of Small Reference Pools.  This obviously doesn't apply to "The Gambling Addict", but I see nothing about the definitive article in that trope name that offers any advantage over just calling it "Gambling Addict".

Well, there is a precedent: "The Stoner". In a setting where someone or a particular group stands out as a gambling addict, name makes sense.
Most of the tropes were named like that so they would be WikiWords. Needed a second word to capitalize. As a Southern Californian, I’m not exactly going to object to using the definite article more.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
After a night to sleep on it, I think he's right... After all, it's easier to write "He is a ((Gambling Addict))" instead of "He is a ((The Gambling Addict|gambling addict))".
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Well. The usual Something has happened with Miraheze. The wiki is completely down, returning only blank pages with a date/time stamp and the message "Fatal exception of type Wikimedia\Rdbms\DBQueryErrorFatal exception of type Wikimedia\Rdbms\DBQueryError". Phabricator is down, with a larger and more colorful error message that still boils down to "DB is borked". And the Stewards' board on Meta is locked because of "ongoing database maintenance".
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(03-08-2020, 05:16 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Well. The usual Something has happened with Miraheze. The wiki is completely down, returning only blank pages with a date/time stamp and the message "Fatal exception of type Wikimedia\Rdbms\DBQueryErrorFatal exception of type Wikimedia\Rdbms\DBQueryError". Phabricator is down, with a larger and more colorful error message that still boils down to "DB is borked". And the Stewards' board on Meta is locked because of "ongoing database maintenance".

The private wiki for There's Nothing Better is locked for wiki migration. The other might be related.

EDIT: Hang on... the TNB wiki is throwing 503s now, too.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Wikis are back - but read-only.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And it's now editable again.

EDIT: Although marking edits as patrolled seems to be broken.
-- Bob

Quote:The maintenance window for the migration is over. Miraheze is sorry for the issues that popped up after the migration.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
If anyone wants to backlink Kemono Friends from the trope pages that would be much appreciated. I'm fairly sure there are more tropes here, as I kept thinking of more and more in about 20 minutes or so writing the page.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I've just thrown the delete template on a bunch of works that are, to the best of my ability to determine, completely non-existent. What is it with all these Pretty Cure fan writers that they had to document their unwritten stories on TVT before they released word one? Not to mention the page which lists tropes for a set of imaginary movies. Yeesh.
-- Bob

One of the nice things about a new infrastructure is we get all-new 503 errors, instead of the tired old retreads we used to have to accept...
-- Bob

Before I forget again, what do people think of finally flipping the autopatrolled bit for TVGarbage? I think he's finally caught on to what we want, because I haven't had to fix anything of his in nearly a week now.
-- Bob

From the "Do We Have This?" Department:

I could have sworn we had a trope covering bad reactions to overusing paranormal powers, like the headaches mages get from overdoing it in Mercedes Lackey's books. But my attempts to search for it have so far failed to turn up anything appropriate. Am I mistaken? or just not searching on the right thing?

EDIT: Never mind, as usual shortly after I ask about it I find it. Power Strain Blackout covers it.
-- Bob

(03-12-2020, 07:38 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Before I forget again, what do people think of finally flipping the autopatrolled bit for TVGarbage?  I think he's finally caught on to what we want, because I haven't had to fix anything of his in nearly a week now.

I haven't been looking at his edits lately, so my opinion is worth nothing here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-12-2020, 07:38 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Before I forget again, what do people think of finally flipping the autopatrolled bit for TVGarbage?  I think he's finally caught on to what we want, because I haven't had to fix anything of his in nearly a week now.

Let's give him another week. Still notice he's caught on, then fine, go for it.
New category, needs more works - please help populate it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I tagged a couple borderline cases -- "Outbreak" and "The Crazies".
-- Bob

Thanks. I tagged a few borderline examples, too.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Does anybody know what Goo Monster is talking about here?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I think he might be referring to the broken mass link-update option on the move/rename results page.
-- Bob

(03-13-2020, 12:01 PM)GethN7 Wrote:

Let's give him another week. Still notice he's caught on, then fine, go for it.

It's a week later.  I think we can risk it, so I'm going ahead.

Oh, and I gave Jason taylor back his autopatrolled status.  I think consistently shaming him with "Post-Jason cleanup" edit reasons actually worked; I haven't had to fix anything of his in weeks.
-- Bob

(02-23-2020, 04:27 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Meanwhile, on another topic from the Steward's Noticeboard, our SocialProfile link spam has been addressed, and further, we have access again to Special:EditProfile:

Quote:@Looney Toons: I've stripped the contents from the profiles now, but in doing so I noticed that the original reason that we restricted access to this tool has since been addressed. We should soon be able to allow admins to access Special:EditProfile soon. -- Void 19:58, 23 February 2020 (UTC)
A bureaucrat should now be able to restore access to the editothersprofiles right as they see fit. -- Void 20:28, 23 February 2020 (UTC)

Okay, while I was changing rights for TVGarbage and Jason taylor I thought I'd go in and make sure this was turned on for all us admins, but I can't find the right damned page to do it.  Can someone point me at it, please?  Thank you.
-- Bob

"Manage this wiki's permissions" - it's a group-level right, not a person-level right.

And I just turned it on for Bureaucrats.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Ah, I was looking in the wrong place, on the Special Pages page. Thank you, Rob.
-- Bob