Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII
(11-26-2021, 05:33 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: ... I am curious just which pages ShawnTheLogoBoi thinks need this banner.

This one, for one - there's an edit pending moderation that consists solely of adding the template to the page.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
The hell with that. Shawn's been a less than impressive editor -- we need to point him at the "No Lewdness, No Prudery" policy and let him know that this is stupidly over the prudery line. And that what he's doing is trying to unilaterally declare wiki policy.

Which I would do myself if I wasn't using a phone to read the forums.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I've done it.

I don't have time to go through all those edits by "Iloveicecream", though.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Iloveicecream is looking to be a really good editor. If he/she had a longer history I'd be nominating them for autopatrol/automoderated status.

EDIT: ShawnTehLogoBoi, not so much.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(11-27-2021, 12:13 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: EDIT:  ShawnTehLogoBoi, not so much.

Looks like they're not willing to put in the work to accept other people's opinions -- note the topic summary.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm not surprised. When he tried to create a work page that was two plain paragraphs and I rejected the edit, I encouraged him to read the works guidelines and resubmit an improved version. When I declined to do the work for him he abandoned it in a similar manner.
-- Bob

Well, we have a trope for that...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just put together a new end-of-page navbox because of this article: Why Ryan Reynolds just makes movies better.

Amazing how many redlinks there are in the navbox... no, no, it isn't amazing. It's par for the course. Anybody want to make a creator page or two... or twenty-one? Smile (Well, maybe I might be able to throw together a stub for one of them... which leaves twenty to go.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The Sopranos is currently semi-protected. Does it need to be, especially considering we have Moderation in place now?
Quote:2019-12-21T17:14:13 Looney Toons talk contribs block changed protection level for The Sopranos [Delete=Allow only autoconfirmed users] (indefinite) [Edit=Allow only autoconfirmed users] (indefinite) [Move=Allow only autoconfirmed users] (indefinite) (If you are the editor in question check your talk page(s).) (hist | change) (thank)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
FYI, just checked my email, seems Miraheze's staff are considering trying to add CirrusSearch for next year. Not holding my breath, but nice to know they are still considering it.
Bit confused as to what's going on here - I don't know if this was something carried over from TVT or no, but in my opinion I'd just settle on leaving the org's name up. This user seems to be indecisive on the matter.
(11-28-2021, 03:49 PM)robkelk Wrote: The Sopranos is currently semi-protected. Does it need to be, especially considering we have Moderation in place now?
Quote:2019-12-21T17:14:13 Looney Toons talk contribs block changed protection level for The Sopranos [Delete=Allow only autoconfirmed users] (indefinite) [Edit=Allow only autoconfirmed users] (indefinite) [Move=Allow only autoconfirmed users] (indefinite) (If you are the editor in question check your talk page(s).) (hist | change) (thank)

Yeah, I'd think that protection could be removed now - likely it was just forgotten about after the fact.

Also, a tangent, but have you all commented on this Dormancy Policy discussion yet?
(11-28-2021, 04:28 PM)Umbire Wrote: Also, a tangent, but have you all commented on this Dormancy Policy discussion yet?

I just did.

My, but "YellowFrogger" is putting a lot of effort into avoiding 90 seconds of work each week...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-28-2021, 04:26 PM)Umbire Wrote: Bit confused as to what's going on here - I don't know if this was something carried over from TVT or no, but in my opinion I'd just settle on leaving the org's name up. This user seems to be indecisive on the matter.

I think it's the same idea as "Church of Happyology" - avoid naming a known sue-happy or protest-happy organization and they won't find us in a casual web search.

Security through obscurity rarely works in the long run, though.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-28-2021, 04:57 PM)robkelk Wrote: I think it's the same idea as "Church of Happyology" - avoid naming a known sue-happy or protest-happy organization and they won't find us in a casual web search.

Security through obscurity rarely works in the long run, though.

I'm aware of the why - the puzzling part is that editor can't seem to settle on one or the other for whatever reason.
(11-28-2021, 04:54 PM)robkelk Wrote: My, but "YellowFrogger" is putting a lot of effort into avoiding 90 seconds of work each week...

Couldn't really place why, either - the desire to pull rank and arbitrary statistics (and being caught out fabricating such a rationale) makes this seem much more like a personal problem on his end, if not indicative of some unrealistic expectations regarding perceived "prestige". This appears to indicate as much.
(11-28-2021, 12:31 PM)robkelk Wrote: Just put together a new end-of-page navbox because of this article: Why Ryan Reynolds just makes movies better.

Amazing how many redlinks there are in the navbox... no, no, it isn't amazing. It's par for the course. Anybody want to make a creator page or two... or twenty-one? Smile (Well, maybe I might be able to throw together a stub for one of them... which leaves twenty to go.)

Foundation laid for Sandra Oh.
(11-28-2021, 08:15 PM)Umbire Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 12:31 PM)robkelk Wrote: Just put together a new end-of-page navbox because of this article: Why Ryan Reynolds just makes movies better.

Foundation laid for Sandra Oh.

Thanks. I found a recent photo of her and added that to the page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-28-2021, 03:49 PM)robkelk Wrote: The Sopranos is currently semi-protected. Does it need to be, especially considering we have Moderation in place now?

Looking at the history, I see this was one of the primary targets of the crowd of anonymous halfwits who couldn't spell, couldn't compose a sentence, wouldn't mark things up right, and wouldn't talk to us. Yeah, it's safe to unprotect it since Moderation and required registration will stop any further instances of their kind of "contributions".
-- Bob

(11-28-2021, 04:26 PM)Umbire Wrote: Bit confused as to what's going on here - I don't know if this was something carried over from TVT or no, but in my opinion I'd just settle on leaving the org's name up. This user seems to be indecisive on the matter.

The page history shows the coy refusal to name them came from TVT.  I agree with the user's initial (and third) edit -- better to name them than not.
-- Bob

(11-28-2021, 04:54 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 04:28 PM)Umbire Wrote: Also, a tangent, but have you all commented on this Dormancy Policy discussion yet?

I just did.

Likewise.  And yeah, I agree that YellowFrogger has issues of some sort.
-- Bob

(11-28-2021, 10:06 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:

Looking at the history, I see this was one of the primary targets of the crowd of anonymous halfwits who couldn't spell, couldn't compose a sentence, wouldn't mark things up right, and wouldn't talk to us. Yeah, it's safe to unprotect it since Moderation and required registration will stop any further instances of their kind of "contributions".

Done.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-27-2021, 12:13 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Iloveicecream is looking to be a really good editor.  If he/she had a longer history I'd be nominating them for autopatrol/automoderated status.

I did some approvals of Iloveicecream's edits, but stopped when I saw wiki markup on some "tropes" we don't have.

Somebody who has more time than I do at the moment will have to double-check the Moderation queue against the relevant TVT pages, please.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Please point me at a few instances and I'll doublecheck. Initially I checked all their contributions and they were clean, but I eased up a bit after the first dozen or so. If they're copying stuff then we need to act on that fast.
-- Bob

Regarding the works of one Callimachus, what would suffice as a page title for an article on the Hymns specifically? There's six in total that are among his surviving works.