Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVI
(10-09-2022, 01:39 PM)GethN7 Wrote: That's a generic error that basically means "some database stuff is messed up and needs time to be reconstituted". Easily fixed on the server end by either giving the server time to update it's own records or forcing a record refresh to clear the issue.

And whaddaya know, half an hour later and it's fine.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
That explains the errors on searches in the private wiki...

Looks like Miraheze is stable now.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
All right. No one cares enough to say "no", so I'm promoting Biomaster to automoderated/autopatrolled.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
About time, I was fine with it for a good while and wondering when you'd get around to it.
Yeah, it should have been done after I last asked and Rob made it three votes. But I was waiting for some reason to see if anyone else had anything to say, and somehow it went longer than it should have -- my fault there.
-- Bob

I'm grumpy today. I almost rejected an edit by Horny... because we don't have a trope named "Sequelities". That typo for "Sequelitis" was the only thing wrong with the edit.

I left the edit in the moderation queue, to let somebody else decide what to do with it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
On that topic, could someone else please review the edit for "Thor: Love and Thunder"? I haven't seen the film yet and I've been avoiding our article on it so I don't get spoiled.

EDIT: As far as that edit by Horny was concerned, it was followed up with a correction that I approved earlier today.
-- Bob

Do we have a trope for "a character leaves (or dies) and the other characters are happy about it"?

Because that's what people thing "Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead" redirects to. (Actually, it currently redirects to "Decapitated Army".) I'd like to point the redirect to the right trope.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
That doesn't ring a bell, so to speak...
-- Bob

Getting back to this proposal by Umbrie - two weeks with no objections, so let's do this.

Somebody else can do the work today, or I can do the work tomorrow.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Newish user Kingtom44 just came to me with a problem. He's got 32 edits to his name, but the wiki seems to think he has less than ten, and he's not allowed to edit his user page? I tried adding the autopatrolled group to his profile, but that didn't do anything useful. Anyone got an idea what's going on and how to fix it?
-- Bob

(10-15-2022, 07:22 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Newish user Kingtom44 just came to me with a problem.  He's got 32 edits to his name, but the wiki seems to think he has less than ten, and he's not allowed to edit his user page?  I tried adding the autopatrolled group to his profile, but that didn't do anything useful.  Anyone got an idea what's going on and how to fix it?

If the user permissions for all users is not allowing editing of user pages by default despite that being enabled, it may need escalated to Miraheze, their inbuilt, fine-grained user permission control extension hooks into the stock system and modifies it, so it may be a glitch on their end.
Anybody want to at least stub a page for the Tony Award?

That redlink in the title of the EGOT navbox is starting to bug me. Alas, I don't know enough about Broadway to do the topic justice.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We have another new user to watch - this time, for all the right reasons.

"Introduction" thread for Onibotoke Aedus
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, very nice.
-- Bob

I suspect that we would need to ask for this extension that corrects typos in the search box.

Do we want it? Can we use it?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-21-2022, 01:25 PM)robkelk Wrote: I suspect that we would need to ask for this extension that corrects typos in the search box.

We need Cirrus Search enabled, which is it's own can of worms to install. If they can't enable that, it's off the table.
(10-21-2022, 01:27 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(10-21-2022, 01:25 PM)robkelk Wrote: I suspect that we would need to ask for this extension that corrects typos in the search box.

We need Cirrus Search enabled, which is it's own can of worms to install. If they can't enable that, it's off the table.

Ah, well. One can dream...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
As I recall, Cirrus Search has been a big "no" since we first learned of it.
-- Bob

Do we have a trope for "somebody complains about a change, until they see how the change benefits them personally"?

Because this web comic is an example of it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
New cleanup tag: {{needs a grammar pass}}
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Rob, have I yet mentioned how much I appreciate you turning all the categories and general cleanup messages I've created over the years into simple templates? Thank you.
-- Bob

So, I noticed that our page for Dungeon magazine doesn't have an image.

There's a page on the Forgotten Realms wikia for Dungeon magazine, and it's illustrated with a cover of one of the earlier issues.

Normally, I'd copy and re-use it, with attribution.

But it's issue 5. And that's one with a dungeon written by me in it - the adventure that was updated to 2e and republished in an official collection. People might think I'm boasting if we use that cover. Or I could take Refuge in Audacity and lampshade that "This issue has a Troper Work in it!"

Should we use that cover, or find another?

EDIT: Better-quality copy of the image in question at mycomicshop.com (direct image link)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-26-2022, 04:34 PM)robkelk Wrote: So, I noticed that our page for Dungeon magazine doesn't have an image.

There's a page on the Forgotten Realms wikia for Dungeon magazine, and it's illustrated with a cover of one of the earlier issues.

Normally, I'd copy and re-use it, with attribution.

But it's issue 5. And that's one with a dungeon written by me in it - the adventure that was updated to 2e and republished in an official collection. People might think I'm boasting if we use that cover. Or I could take Refuge in Audacity and lampshade that "This issue has a Troper Work in it!"

Should we use that cover, or find another?

EDIT: Better-quality copy of the image in question at mycomicshop.com (direct image link)

Rob, I work for a games/general review website (ChristCenteredGamer), and I understand conflict of interest. I once had to disclose I reviewed a book by my uncle, making explicitly clear I received nothing save a copy of the text for due payment and he received nothing save my promise to review the work as fairly as the quality of the text allowed.

However, I don't see the problem in your case. If you want to use it, I would not object, pipe a link to your user page somewhere in the description so they know who it's referring to, if you feel the need to do so, though I see no reason we cannot use the image as is. Any issue of payment is long over with concerning the work and your hand in it, we are not a for-profit site, and the mere coincidence of you having a hand in that issue does not prevent us, at least under my knowledge of our current rules, from using the image to illustrate the work in question.

The fact you were forthright enough to bring this up speaks well of you, and it's appreciated. Regardless, I see no reason to object.
I see no reason either. The ultimate connection is remote enough that no reasonable person could point to it and call it self-promotion on your part. To be honest I was thinking of using one of the covers of the early Dragon magazine issues that have stuff of mine in them -- because they're both visually striking.
-- Bob