Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVI
Yeah, we'll give him a chance -- maybe the different atmosphere will help, but honestly, he's coming in with a whole plank on his shoulder, forget about a chip. Reading his post it looks like he's gearing up to hit back first before anyone actually gets on his case for anything. It also gives the impression that he thinks he's doing us a massive favor by gracing us with his presence.

Switching tracks for a moment, since when has TVT's #1 rule been "Don't be a dick"? Being a dick used to be a requirement to be a mod there for way too many years (I'm looking at you, Fighteer). It certainly wasn't rule #1 there when we came up with ATT's TOS (that probably would have been "shut up and don't question the mods, or get banned"), and now I wonder if they followed our lead after Fast Eddie took the money and ran.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I had a few minutes, so I approved some purely mechanical edits (read that as "don't need to check them against TVT") in the moderation queue. Including a couple from our new troper. Those edits, at least, show a willingness to do things on ATT the ATT way.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Speaking of the mod queue... this edit. Is the text that Horny... wants to wrap in a spoiler tag at the "It Was His Sled" level of pop-culture knowledge?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I appear to have caught that edit up in an "approve all", but I agree -- It Was His Sled. I'll undo it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Meanwhile, what I came here for: newish user Ilikecomputers wants to create a redirect for My Neighbor Totoro using the British spelling of "neighbour". I'm going to reject it because there's no official version of the name that uses British spelling, but it raises the question -- should redirects for British/American alternate spellings be explicitly put on the "don't do it" list?
-- Bob

(11-14-2022, 11:09 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Just a heads up:  Users Kitaro and Brennacollins06 are the same person:  The latter resubmitted an edit made by the former with changes made based on the advice given about it.  Compare Kitaro's edit and Brennacollins06's edit.  I'm going to drop a note about our view regarding multiple accounts on both user talk pages.

And now there's Lady Kitaro, created just a few hours ago, who shows an identical obsession with a single example on the Foot Focus page, and an identical inability to write in anything looking like proper English.

EDIT: This account is marked in the log as "Created automatically", unlike the other two, so this may not be another (deliberate) attempt to obfuscate things.
-- Bob

(11-15-2022, 12:55 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Meanwhile, what I came here for:  newish user Ilikecomputers wants to create a redirect for My Neighbor Totoro using the British spelling of "neighbour".  I'm going to reject it because there's no official version of the name that uses British spelling, but it raises the question -- should redirects for British/American alternate spellings be explicitly put on the "don't do it" list?

For general spellings that don't involve links, no changes.

If it's a trope with a potential British spelling alternative or American if spelled British primarily, I'm for "first come, first serve", with other spellings turned into redirects.

For works, we should make a hard "unless it got localized with an explicit British spelling, we stick with the American English version". In the event it got localized with both American and British spellings (for times when it had an explicitly separate US and UK release), we revert to the trope rule in those cases.
(11-15-2022, 01:45 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(11-15-2022, 12:55 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Meanwhile, what I came here for:  newish user Ilikecomputers wants to create a redirect for My Neighbor Totoro using the British spelling of "neighbour".  I'm going to reject it because there's no official version of the name that uses British spelling, but it raises the question -- should redirects for British/American alternate spellings be explicitly put on the "don't do it" list?

If it's a trope with a potential British spelling alternative or American if spelled British primarily, I'm for "first come, first serve", with other spellings turned into redirects.

For works, we should make a hard "unless it got localized with an explicit British spelling, we stick with the American English version". In the event it got localized with both American and British spellings (for times when it had an explicitly separate US and UK release), we revert to the trope rule in those cases.

Agreed with one addition: unless it got localized with an explicit American spelling, we stick with the British English version for works from the UK (or Canada).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-15-2022, 01:58 PM)robkelk Wrote:

Agreed with one addition: unless it got localized with an explicit American spelling, we stick with the British English version for works from the UK (or Canada).

Works for me.
(11-15-2022, 09:36 AM)robkelk Wrote: I had a few minutes, so I approved some purely mechanical edits (read that as "don't need to check them against TVT")  in the moderation queue. Including a couple from our new troper. Those edits, at least, show a willingness to do things on ATT the ATT way.

Yeah, the most I personally want is for the ego to be left at the door - he manages that and I'll see from there.
(11-15-2022, 01:44 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(11-14-2022, 11:09 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Just a heads up:  Users Kitaro and Brennacollins06 are the same person:  The latter resubmitted an edit made by the former with changes made based on the advice given about it.  Compare Kitaro's edit and Brennacollins06's edit.  I'm going to drop a note about our view regarding multiple accounts on both user talk pages.

And now there's Lady Kitaro, created just a few hours ago, who shows an identical obsession with a single example on the Foot Focus page, and an identical inability to write in anything looking like proper English. 

EDIT:  This account is marked in the log as "Created automatically", unlike the other two, so this may not be another (deliberate) attempt to obfuscate things.

[sarcasm]Ah fetish tropers, how I missed them.[/sarcasm]
(11-15-2022, 08:25 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Yeah, we'll give him a chance -- maybe the different atmosphere will help, but honestly, he's coming in with a whole plank on his shoulder, forget about a chip.  Reading his post it looks like he's gearing up to hit back first before anyone actually gets on his case for anything.  It also gives the impression that he thinks he's doing us a massive favor by gracing us with his presence.

Switching tracks for a moment, since when has TVT's #1 rule been "Don't be a dick"?  Being a dick used to be a requirement to be a mod there for way too many years (I'm looking at you, Fighteer).  It certainly wasn't rule #1 there when we came up with ATT's TOS (that probably would have been "shut up and don't question the mods, or get banned"), and now I wonder if they followed our lead after Fast Eddie took the money and ran.

Granted - but as we've seen on ATT ourselves, being a dick tends to not be conducive when your aim is "getting unblocked" or anything similar. They've had 10 years to change things and right the ship, whether they followed our lead or anyone else's, so at least give them credit for that.
(11-15-2022, 02:20 PM)GethN7 Wrote:

Works for me.

Likewise. Unless someone objects, I suppose it's time to write it up properly and make a formal policy change proposal on the wiki.
-- Bob

(11-15-2022, 03:12 PM)Umbire Wrote:

EDIT:  This account is marked in the log as "Created automatically", unlike the other two, so this may not be another (deliberate) attempt to obfuscate things.

[sarcasm]Ah fetish tropers, how I missed them.[/sarcasm]

[Comically Missing the Point]Well, aim better next time![/Comically Missing the Point]
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-15-2022, 04:46 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(11-15-2022, 02:20 PM)GethN7 Wrote:

Works for me.

Likewise.  Unless someone objects, I suppose it's time to write it up properly and make a formal policy change proposal on the wiki.

Hopefully, we can kill two birds with one stone and put that Tabs policy I wrote up to a proper vote this time round and we can cross both off the list.

Maybe, maybe not. This and this are substantively the same edit.

I'm going to put both accounts On Notice.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
If anybody has time to answer this question before I do, feel free.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-16-2022, 11:02 AM)robkelk Wrote: If anybody has time to answer this question before I do, feel free.

Done.
Thanks.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
YKTTW question: Below is the text I have for a possible example of I Was Never Here.

Quote:*''[[SpongeBob SquarePants]]'':

**An odd variant occurs in [[SpongeBob SquarePants/Recap/S11/E6 No Pictures Please - Stuck on the Roof|"No Pictures Please"]]: Patrick gives a stranger named Carl a "tour" of Bikini Bottom that incites most of the town's wrath - when they finally corner the two at Patrick's house, Plankton reveals that the camera Carl had been using to take pictures didn't even have any film. Carl confesses that he hadn't been taking picture... and then claims he didn't even have a camera, causing it to vanish. He then claims he's "not even here" and immediately fades from view as everyone looks on, causing them to freak out and run off.

As I typed this up I started to think "you know maybe this isn't an example as described" so I decided I'd bring it here to confirm: Is this an example of the trope as written up or not, and if not, then what trope would it fit? The latter question is the more critical one, given I do plan to sit and read the description proper to make sure I have the right idea.
"I Was Never Here" is more for spies and men-in-black, and is basically a trope about intimidating people into being silent about their presence/participation.

Carl seems to be something more like an inversion of the Not-So-Imaginary Friend -- someone who appears to be real to everyone but is in fact a figment of Patrick's imagination. I think we might actually have a trope for something like a shared hallucination, which might apply as well, but damned if I can remember it -- or find it with how crappy the wiki is this morning.
-- Bob

Well.  Looks like Miraheze is currently well and truly borked right now. Nothing is loading, not even Meta. Instead we get the 502 pages, or the 503 with the Twitter feed:

.png   miraheze 2022-11-17 11AM.PNG (Size: 14.56 KB / Downloads: 43)

Is it so much to ask for a reliable host? I mean, Orain wasn't even close to this bad.
-- Bob

(11-17-2022, 08:12 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: "I Was Never Here" is more for spies and men-in-black, and is basically a trope about intimidating people into being silent about their presence/participation.

Carl seems to be something more like an inversion of the Not-So-Imaginary Friend -- someone who appears to be real to everyone but is in fact a figment of Patrick's imagination.  I think we might actually have a trope for something like a shared hallucination, which might apply as well, but damned if I can remember it -- or find it with how crappy the wiki is this morning.

He does become a recurring character after this, mind, but in this episode specifically he's treated like just another guy right up until the end, where he suddenly stops existing because it's what the writers considered funniest at that moment. I'll consider that trope but I'm still mulling it over...
He's a relatively new user, but I'm nominating Ilikecomputers for automod membership. He's prolific, interacts easily with us mods and other users, and is scrupulous about not copying from TVT in all his new content for the wiki. At the very least promoting him will make the mod queue much less overloaded.

What say you, fellow mods?
-- Bob

Seconded.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown