Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird & Interesting science, take 2
RE: Weird & Interesting science, take 2
(08-08-2023, 04:55 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(08-02-2023, 07:11 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(07-26-2023, 09:29 PM)Labster Wrote: Breaking Superconductor News - Dr. Derek Lowe gives us a somewhat less technical description of the news from yesterday.

Cheap materials, not hard for labs everywhere to make samples, and a critical temperature of 121°C. Yes please! We’re all on pins and needles waiting for replication.

Superconductor Breakthrough Replicated, Twice, in Preliminary Testing

Or maybe not...

Nope, probably not.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Yeah, when even Popular Mechanics debunks it, it's probably pretty solid. Ah well.
--
‎noli esse culus
(08-10-2023, 03:27 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(08-08-2023, 04:55 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(08-02-2023, 07:11 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(07-26-2023, 09:29 PM)Labster Wrote: Breaking Superconductor News - Dr. Derek Lowe gives us a somewhat less technical description of the news from yesterday.

Cheap materials, not hard for labs everywhere to make samples, and a critical temperature of 121°C. Yes please! We’re all on pins and needles waiting for replication.

Superconductor Breakthrough Replicated, Twice, in Preliminary Testing

Or maybe not...

Nope, probably not.

And an article on how it was determined that LK-99 isn't a superconductor, but just ferromagnetic.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Ferromagnetic without involving any of the ferromagnetic metals, too, if I understand things correctly.
Yes, which is in itself pretty interesting, but not as interesting as a room temperature superconductor would have been.
-- Bob

India becomes fourth nation to successfully land a probe on the Moon

And the first to complete a polar landing.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(08-23-2023, 04:07 PM)robkelk Wrote: India becomes fourth nation to successfully land a probe on the Moon

"O my love, you're the Moon and I'm Chakor
Blessed bird that's longing for
Your embrace forevermore..."
Anton Petrov - Uh Oh, Methane Evidence Suggests We Entered Ice Age Termination Event
Life detected?

Methane. Carbon Dioxide. Both indicative of a water ocean.
Sitting in the habitable zone of its star.

*possibly* Dimethyl Sulphide - only produced on Earth by life. It's still to be confirmed.

Kepler K2-18 b may - possibly - just maybe - harbour some potential signs of life. If we check again.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Hybrid between Pampas Fox and Dog (1st ever fox-dog hybrid) 

Pampas foxes are Lycalopex (false Fox) - they're more closely related to wolves, but outside the Canis genus.
Scientists drop antimatter to see if it falls

--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
This would seem to be experimental evidence that antimatter is subject to gravity the same way normal matter is.
Astronomers spot collision between two exoplanets, both feared vaporized
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-12-2023, 08:40 AM)robkelk Wrote: ... both feared vaporized

<big innocent eyes> Who, the astronomers?

<grin>

I'm surprised you didn't use "When Worlds Collide" as the title of that post.
-- Bob

Big Badda Boom - astronomers see evidence of two Neptune size planets colliding.
Anton Petrov - Something Exploded in the Middle of Nowhere Far from Any Galaxy

EDIT:
Anton Petrov- We Finally have Some Major Updates from Mercury
Anton Petrov - Strange triple star disappeared in just 50 minutes and no one knows why...

EDIT)
Anton Petrov - Evidence that Planet Theia formed massive structures inside Earth
Anton Petrov - Jet from M87 Black hole makes stars explode and wobbles weirdly

Anton Petrov - Something collided with Jupiter, signs of life on Europa, and Io's massive magma ocean
The Register: US Air Force wants to see some atomic motors for future spacecraft

First, it looks like somebody read Chris Hadfield's latest novel and remembered what they were doing at Jackass Lake a half-century ago.

Second:

Quote:Under the military lab's Joint Emergent Technology Supplying On-Orbit Nuclear (JETSON) High Power program,

"Jane! Get me off this crazy thing!"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Seven-minute gamma-ray shockwave from newborn black hole smacked into the upper atmosphere and left it reacting for ten hours afterward.
-- Bob

Thank you, Ozone Layer. Us down here in the Bozo Layer are trying to get better; it's good to know you still love us despite everything.
--
‎noli esse culus
The unexpected math behind Van Gogh's "Starry Night":

-- Bob

Anton Petrov - Exciting Star System with 6 planets orbiting with perfect rhythm
Physicist Discovers 'Paradox-Free' Time Travel Is Theoretically Possible
-- Bob

Technically, the Solstice is on the 22nd here.

By a grand total of 1 second, 22nd December is the shorter day. The actual Solstice is at about 3 in the morning tomorrow, so the 21st is still the American solstice.

It's pedantry of the highest order.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.