Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVIII
Apparently the one server hosting memcached went down, which took down everything else. I will have a little chat about our architecture with the crew.

Meanwhile I'm drumming up votes for global stewards. We only have one right now, surely you trust at least one of these folks enough to allow them to admin our wikis. We need at least 20 votes for elections to be valid here; people love democracy but can't be bothered to vote.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
What does being a steward entail? Is there a page listing the duties and powers thereof?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(01-05-2024, 04:09 PM)Labster Wrote: Meanwhile I'm drumming up votes for global stewards. We only have one right now, surely you trust at least one of these folks enough to allow them to admin our wikis. We need at least 20 votes for elections to be valid here; people love democracy but can't be bothered to vote.

1108-Kiju had "at least 20 user's comments and a support ratio of at least 80%" already, but I supported the nomination anyway -- we need somebody who's also fluent in a language other than English on the Stewards team. I also voted for Agent Isai (now needs four more comments; even if they're all negative, IA will meet the 80% support threshold), NotAracham (now needs seven more comments, at least three of which are votes to support), and Reception123 (now needs five more comments, at least one of which is a vote to support).

Not saying anything at this time with regard to Tali64³'s or Original Authority's nominations. (Oh, and if Original Authority can't get 80% support because of lack of experience, there's no way that I could. Folks here know who I am, but folks in the greater Miraheze community don't. And I don't have time this calendar year to build up my name awareness.)

(01-05-2024, 04:35 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: What does being a steward entail? Is there a page listing the duties and powers thereof?

Quoting from Meta:Stewards:
Quote:Stewards are users with the permission and authority to use any part of the MediaWiki interface on any wiki. Stewards work with communities to address issues facing them locally such as disputes, abusive or disruptive behaviour as well as global issues such as disruptive behaviour across multiple wikis. This includes global and local right assignment, use of routine administrator permissions (delete, blocking, etc.) on local wikis and in a global sense (locking accounts, renaming them, etc.), CheckUser and Suppressor permissions, and more.

From past experience, I know that they do not have global Bureaucrat or Moderator rights; the ATT admins are still the final authority as to what is and isn't allowed on ATT as long as we don't break the Miraheze TOS.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I have good news. The MinervaNeue issue we filed awhile back is now being looked at properly since the board has finally gotten it's act together, and I have good reason to expect a speedy resolution.
Stewards are actually global bureaucrats though. It’s just that their use of these powers is functionally limited to booting abusers and picking a new bureaucrat if the local ones are all inactive. No one wants to assert local mod rights except on reverting vandalism campaigns; since we have no profit motive, we’d rather just close abusive wikis rather than try to replace the mod staff.
Are we in the midst of some part of the transfer? I tried to go to Recent Changes like I normally do first thing in the morning, and got this:

.png   something went wrong.PNG (Size: 14.39 KB / Downloads: 100)

And subsequent attempts to reach that and other pages gets me 504 Gateway Timeout errors.

Meta is up but very slow.

EDIT: And of course, as soon as I post that, everything starts working properly again.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
<sigh> I am getting tired of Kuma's inability to write in standard English. I just rewrote a new trope candidate of theirs in the Workshop -- Power Booster -- so that it might actually make some sense, and I'm starting on their second new one, Exclusive Armaments, but it's a daunting task. (Not to mention it feels like we might have something like this already, but nothing is immediately coming to mind.) I also noted that they just dumped some 17K into Nasuverse/Analysis‎ over the weekend, and I hesitate to imagine how many crimes against grammar and comprehensibility got added to that page.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to find a trope I know we have, but I can't remember what it's called -- the Yiddish-inspired practice of dismissing an idea or concept by rhyming it with something starting with and "shm" sound, like "Trope, Schmope". I'm going to keep looking for it, but if anyone knows what it is off the top of their heads, I'd appreciate the reminder. Thanks.

EDIT: And just as soon as I post that, of course I find "Word, Schmord".
-- Bob

(01-08-2024, 11:36 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: ... and I'm starting on their second new one, Exclusive Armaments, but it's a daunting task. (Not to mention it feels like we might have something like this already, but nothing is immediately coming to mind.) ...

If we did, it would have been listed on the highly-detailed characters page for Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, because it definitely applies to Raising Heart. Nothing remotely like it is listed there.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
As the trope is currently (re-)written, I'm not sure Nanoha qualifies, because Kuma included a requirement that ownership of the item, whatever it was, indicated membership in some kind of exclusive group. Nanoha didn't have any such membership for most of the first series, and it wasn't required for her to gain ownership and use of Raising/Raging Heart.
-- Bob

(01-08-2024, 11:36 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Meanwhile, I'm trying to find a trope I know we have, but I can't remember what it's called -- the Yiddish-inspired practice of dismissing an idea or concept by rhyming it with something starting with and "shm" sound, like "Trope, Schmope".  I'm going to keep looking for it, but if anyone knows what it is off the top of their heads, I'd appreciate the reminder.  Thanks.

EDIT:  And just as soon as I post that, of course I find "Word, Schmord".

Obviously, just look on Rhyming Tropes ... okay that didn't work. Obviously it would be under Wordplay Tropes if we don't have that category... huh nothing?

Oh, obviously it's on Sublime Rhyme, a list of trope names that rhyme.  Which is another legacy category-page.
Stuff to add, obviously...

Meanwhile, the wiki's barfing again. I'm getting 50Xs, again -- alternating with proper page loads on a cycle of about 30 seconds or so? Haven't the slightest clue what's going on.
-- Bob

Mainly it's the wiki running on decade-old hardware. Someone did a deploy today which has suspicious timing but everything is still up part of the time.
I'm getting extremely slow page loads and "Unauthorized" errors on image loads (including the site logo) now.

At least I was able to update our "Golden Globe Awards" navboxes before the hamsters decided to stop running in their wheels.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Ok it was apparently someone deleting files on Swift that made things ironically slow. And running said deletion job without rate limits.

The old infrastructure is really near its limits. But it was also more stable before they started poking around in there again. Too many cooks in the kitchen and service starts in half an hour.

Edit: deleting thumbnails from the anime loli feet wiki, which was apparently using 200 GB Confused
I'm sure that this web comic counts as discussing a trope, but I'm not sure which trope. Any ideas?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Let me think on it. It's kind of an imposed Heel Face Turn or maybe a variation on Defeat Means Friendship, but not quite. I'm pretty sure we don't already have anything that's exactly right, though.
-- Bob

At least one Discworld novel has a quote about how invaders of Ankh-Morpork end up becoming yet another minority in the city, not quite understanding how they were assimilated... but our "Discworld" page doesn't mention that as an overall setting trope. So I'm inclined to think we don't have it yet. We do, however, have two examples of it. <g>
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Let's call it "You Will Be Assimilated"! <grin>
-- Bob

I've whittled this list of lint errors down to ten entries. Somebody else, who's more familiar with what the Help page on the list is supposed to be saying, will need to fix the rest of these errors.

EDIT: Once we have images loading again and can see the results of the edits, of course.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, sorry, we had a disk failure today. Just software on it and no user data, so nothing was lost but uptime, but sheesh that old infra is scary. The sooner we move, the better.

Your donation won’t help us move faster, but it will help us save 15% or so by switching to annual billing.
I've just noticed that I'm no longer able to "unwatch" threads on talk pages by clicking the star to the right of the thread title. It just greys out and I get a spinner when I hover over it. I have to go to my watch list to successfully unwatch them. Has anyone else run into this?
-- Bob

(01-16-2024, 10:44 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I've just noticed that I'm no longer able to "unwatch" threads on talk pages by clicking the star to the right of the thread title.  It just greys out and I get a spinner when I hover over it.  I have to go to my watch list to successfully unwatch them.  Has anyone else run into this?

It works fine for me. Try it on another browser or flush your cache and try again, could be a cache bug.
(01-16-2024, 10:44 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I've just noticed that I'm no longer able to "unwatch" threads on talk pages by clicking the star to the right of the thread title. It just greys out and I get a spinner when I hover over it. I have to go to my watch list to successfully unwatch them. Has anyone else run into this?

I've had the same problem.

I can't try another browser - I only have firefox installed.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
In other news, Matomo Analytics is borked. I just get a page with a header and no report.
-- Bob

A possible case of kuma naming a trope that might need a rename, not caught until a call for votes to launch... Do we need to change the name of this one? Answer there, not here, please.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown