Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVIII
(10-10-2023, 09:47 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: A heads-up:  I've slightly rewritten the first notice in the Sitenotice to better explain what's up with the moderation system for new users.  I realized it was still written as though we'd just had to turn it on and needed to explain it to established users; I've tweaked it to have a bit of eyecatch and more explanation than it had before.

Good call, thanks.
Update on how a recent fix of mine snafu'ed. Turns out my attempt to fix red links on Heartwarming pages to have a softer on the eyes red color in Dark Mode had a knock on effect due to an issue with the Dark Mode extension.

The extension allows people to change the CSS of colors in that mode with "darkmode" class appended to the dark mode specific changes so regular pages are not affected. My fix incorporated most of the common CSS in dark mode to the page, which initially looked fine when I tested it. Unfortunately, this causes things to screw up because I included all of this in the same template that controls the CSS for Heartwarming pages, and due to what appears to be an oversight in how Dark Mode interacts with template and page specific CSS, regular mode was not engaging the proper colors while it looked fine in Dark Mode because adding ALL the CSS changes in Dark Mode to the same template that controls Heartwarming in regular mode causes some of them to be canceled out because Dark Mode believes it's color changes were of higher priority.

This should be fixed now, I pared down the changes to just link colors only in dark mode, you'll notice they have a much softer on the eyes look in dark mode, but switching back to regular should work normally once the server updates any affected pages again. You can also do a null edit on affected pages to force it to update before then.
Can someone check or correct me on this: We don't have a trope for apotheosis/the elevation of a mortal to godhood? (Other than Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence, which isn't exactly the same thing.)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(10-12-2023, 01:05 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Can someone check or correct me on this:  We don't have a trope for apotheosis/the elevation of a mortal to godhood?  (Other than Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence, which isn't exactly the same thing.)

Looks like the closest we have is "A God Am I". At least, that's what our page for Kamichu! uses for Yurie's apotheosis.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Right, then. I'll have to fix that.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I should have asked this years ago... Brent, not long after you created the History page back in 2014, the first proper entry you put on it read:

Quote:"probably in 1978" Author A. Bertram Chandler attends a match of the All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling league. If this hadn't happened, there would be no All The Tropes.

I just found out that this event directly caused the creation of Dirty Pair... but I'm still at a loss for the chain of connections that get from there to, presumably, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and from there to TVT and then us). What do you know that you haven't shared?
-- Bob

So... in chatting this morning with new user TrueUtopian about marking up pages, it occurred to me that we have never actually explicitly documented the various templates we've set up over the years to make marking up pages a little easier. Over the course of the day I've started assembling a list with the intent of creating a new page in the project namespace that we can direct users to. It's not supposed to be exhaustive, just listing the most commonly used templates.

So, below, find that list, partially coded for display. If there's anything that I've left out so far that folks think should be in it, please let me know.

Quote:{{examples|Template List}}

'''Non-alphanumeric'''

;{{tl|=}}
:Replaces equals signs in URLs and other text passed as a parameter to another template (such as YouTube links used as attributions in quotes). The equals sign is used in an optional template syntax for identifying a parameter, so if you pass one in plaintext, it gets mistaken for part of the markup and the entire parameter gets eaten and ignored.

'''A'''

actorroles

'''C'''

cleanup

context

;{{tl|creator}}
:One of the core page type templates. This template must be the first line of a creator page for the wiki to recognize it ''as'' a creator page. It displays the top-of-page menu in its creator page configuration and adds the category "Creator" to the page.

creatorstub

creatortropes

creatorworks

'''D'''

Dead link

Deathtrope

Delete

Disambiguation

DOTA

'''E'''

Endingtrope

;{{tl|example}}
:Inserts the "Examples of (trope name) include:" banner, automatically populating the trope name with the name of the current page. This template can take various parameters to change what it displays; follow the link to see its documentation page.

;{{tl|Examples on subpages}}
:Displays a banner reading "Examples of (trope name) are listed on these subpages:" followed by a list of all the subpages below the trope page that have media type names.

'''F'''

;{{tl|Fake heading}}
:Formats a line of text as though it were a second-level header. Useful when you want the visual appearance of a header without having it appear in or force a change in the location of the page's table of contents.

franchisetropes

'''M'''

Megacrossover List

MIA

Multiple Works Need Separate Pages

'''N'''

Needs Disambiguation

Needs More Examples

Needs More Info

Needs Recap

'''Q'''

'''R'''

reflist

'''S'''

stub

'''T'''
;{{tl|trope}}
:One of the core page type templates. This template must be the first line of a trope page for the wiki to recognize it ''as'' a trope page. It displays the top-of-page menu in its trope page configuration and adds the category "Trope" to the page.

Trope Needs Examples

tropecodifier

;{{tl|tropelist}}
:Inserts the "Tropes used in {work name} include:" banner, automatically populating the work name with the name of the current page. This template can take an alternate page name or entirely different banner text as a parameter; see its documentation page.

tropemaker

tropenamer

tropestub

tropesub-subpagefooter

tropesubpagefooter

'''U'''

Unmarked Spoilers

;{{tl|Useful Notes}}
:One of the core page type templates. This template must be the first line of a Useful Notes page for the wiki to recognize it ''as'' a Useful Notes page. It displays the top-of-page menu in its Useful Notes page configuration, adds the category "Useful Notes" to the page, and displays the "useful note" icon in the upper right corner of the page.

'''V'''

verify

'''W'''

when

where

who

;{{tl|work}}
:One of the core page type templates. This template must be the first line of a work page for the wiki to recognize it ''as'' a work page. It displays the top-of-page menu in its work page configuration and adds the category "Work" to the page. It also can take a parameter in the form "wppage=(Wikipedia page)", which will direct the menu's Wikipedia button to a specific page at [[The Other Wiki]]; the button usually tries to go to a Wikipedia page with the same name as the current page, and this parameter is used when we have a different name for a work than Wikipedia uses.

Work Needs Tropes

workstub

worksubpagefooter

'''Y'''
;{{tl|Years or months ago}}
:When passed date information, calculates the number of years or months (if less than one year) between the passed date and the current date, then inserts text to that effect into the page. Allows us to indicate the age or duration of a work (among other things) in such a way that it automatically self-updates.

Thanks.
-- Bob

Three more for you, Bob:

;{{tl|laconicfooter}}
:A specialized footer used only on Laconic subpages. Doesn't allow for customization, but Laconic pages aren't supposed to be Self-Demonstrating anyway.

;{{tl|Needs More Tropes}}
:Used on Works pages to show that the work has at least one trope listed, but needs more. This can come off the page once a dozen or so tropes are listed. (If the page has no tropes at all, use {{tl|Work Needs Tropes}} instead of {{tl|Needs More Tropes}}.)

;{{tl|Wikiquote quotes}}
:A cleanup template alerting tropers that at least some of the quotes on this page are formatted for the Wikiquote wiki instead of the All The Tropes wiki. The two formatting styles are too different to be able to automate conversion between them; manual intervention is required to change the formatting.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-13-2023, 11:27 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I should have asked this years ago...  Brent, not long after you created the History page back in 2014, the first proper entry you put on it read:

Quote:"probably in 1978" Author A. Bertram Chandler attends a match of the All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling league. If this hadn't happened, there would be no All The Tropes.

I just found out that this event directly caused the creation of Dirty Pair... but I'm still at a loss for the chain of connections that get from there to, presumably, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and from there to TVT and then us).  What do you know that you haven't shared?

Basically, the missing link is UF-CORE.  If you hadn't made the page on Undocumented Features, and left a Fanfic Rec of Symphony of the Sword, I never would have met you or visited this forum.  And without knowing other people upset about the policy changes, I never would have bothered to get the data.

It's more or less personal actions between the two of us.  The above note on the timeline is just me reflecting on how deeply weird history is, that a witty remark by an author I never read can snowball into a large impact on other people's lives, including mine.  Who knows, Gryphon might have stayed in college, I might have gotten a better job, and Google might have decided to not be evil.  Oh well, we'll never know. Wink
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(10-17-2023, 05:40 PM)robkelk Wrote: Three more for you, Bob:

Thanks! I've added them to my draft.
-- Bob

(10-18-2023, 03:11 AM)Labster Wrote:
(10-13-2023, 11:27 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I should have asked this years ago...  Brent, not long after you created the History page back in 2014, the first proper entry you put on it read:

I just found out that this event directly caused the creation of Dirty Pair... but I'm still at a loss for the chain of connections that get from there to, presumably, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and from there to TVT and then us).  What do you know that you haven't shared?

Basically, the missing link is UF-CORE.  If you hadn't made the page on Undocumented Features, and left a Fanfic Rec of Symphony of the Sword, I never would have met you or visited this forum.  And without knowing other people upset about the policy changes, I never would have bothered to get the data.

Huh. Would you mind if I put some version of that in the history page?

(10-18-2023, 03:11 AM)Labster Wrote: The above note on the timeline is just me reflecting on how deeply weird history is, that a witty remark by an author I never read can snowball into a large impact on other people's lives, including mine.  Who knows, Gryphon might have stayed in college, I might have gotten a better job, and Google might have decided to not be evil.  Oh well, we'll never know. Wink

You don't need to tell me about that kind of thing. If I hadn't flirted with a cute brunette named Lisa at an SCA event in 1985, I would never have met Peggy (and Lisa would never have been her maid of honor -- and no, they didn't know each other before I introduced them), I never would have gotten into V&V and GURPS, and my writing career, if it existed at all, would have gone in a completely different direction.
-- Bob

(10-18-2023, 07:16 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(10-18-2023, 03:11 AM)Labster Wrote:

Huh. Would you mind if I put some version of that in the history page?

"If this hadn't happened, there would be no Dirty Pair, and thus no Undocumented Features, and thus no TV Tropes entry (by User:Looney Toons) for UF, and thus no notice of that page by User:Labster, and thus no visit by Labster to Looney Toon's forum, and thus no discovery that other Tropers were also annoyed by the then-current state of affairs at TV Tropes, and finally no desire to Start Our Own. It sounds like Insane Troll Logic, but it's true."

(10-18-2023, 07:16 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(10-18-2023, 03:11 AM)Labster Wrote: The above note on the timeline is just me reflecting on how deeply weird history is, that a witty remark by an author I never read can snowball into a large impact on other people's lives, including mine.  Who knows, Gryphon might have stayed in college, I might have gotten a better job, and Google might have decided to not be evil.  Oh well, we'll never know. Wink

You don't need to tell me about that kind of thing. If I hadn't flirted with a cute brunette named Lisa at an SCA event in 1985, I would never have met Peggy (and Lisa would never have been her maid of honor -- and no, they didn't know each other before I introduced them), I never would have gotten into V&V and GURPS, and my writing career, if it existed at all, would have gone in a completely different direction.

And who knows what I'd be doing with my non-work life, too, if it wasn't for GURPS IST and GURPS Camelot eventually leading me here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-18-2023, 09:10 AM)robkelk Wrote: "If this hadn't happened, there would be no Dirty Pair, and thus no Undocumented Features, and thus no TV Tropes entry (by User:Looney Toons) for UF, and thus no notice of that page by User:Labster, and thus no visit by Labster to Looney Toon's forum, and thus no discovery that other Tropers were also annoyed by the then-current state of affairs at TV Tropes, and finally no desire to Start Our Own. It sounds like Insane Troll Logic, but it's true."

Hm. Okay, I guess I'm impatient -- I just put an edit of that on the History page. To the best of my recollection, I didn't create the Undocumented Features (and I don't take credit for it only my user page) -- I just kind of took it over and made it just a liiiiiitle bit larger.

(10-18-2023, 09:10 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(10-18-2023, 07:16 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: You don't need to tell me about that kind of thing. If I hadn't flirted with a cute brunette named Lisa at an SCA event in 1985, I would never have met Peggy (and Lisa would never have been her maid of honor -- and no, they didn't know each other before I introduced them), I never would have gotten into V&V and GURPS, and my writing career, if it existed at all, would have gone in a completely different direction.

And who knows what I'd be doing with my non-work life, too, if it wasn't for GURPS IST and GURPS Camelot eventually leading me here.

<nod> I try not to think too hard along those lines, even if I'm focusing on the good stuff. That way lies madness. But still... wow. Lisa affected your life, too. I'll have to let Peggy know.

EDIT: For those curious and don't already know, the Story of Lisa can be found here.
-- Bob

Could somebody who has access to the edit history on TVT please check whether this edit was posted by the person who wrote it, please? The edit summary at ATT is "importing old example from TV tropes"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-20-2023, 08:55 AM)robkelk Wrote: Could somebody who has access to the edit history on TVT please check whether this edit was posted by the person who wrote it, please? The edit summary at ATT is "importing old example from TV tropes"

I checked, tad sus. The original writer was Warjay77, who claims to be a woman on their troper page. HeneryVII is apparently a guy on our site.

Date it was added on TV Tropes was September 23, 2022.
Okay, I've completed the template list and put it up in my sandbox. Please give it a look. Feel free to edit it as you see fit, and let me know if you think it's good enough for prime time.

Thanks.
-- Bob

(10-20-2023, 11:07 AM)GethN7 Wrote:
(10-20-2023, 08:55 AM)robkelk Wrote: Could somebody who has access to the edit history on TVT please check whether this edit was posted by the person who wrote it, please? The edit summary at ATT is "importing old example from TV tropes"

I checked, tad sus. The original writer was Warjay77, who claims to be a woman on their troper page. HeneryVII is apparently a guy on our site.

Thanks, Geth. Edit rolled back and troper warned.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-20-2023, 02:09 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, I've completed the template list and put it up in my sandbox.  Please give it a look.  Feel free to edit it as you see fit, and let me know if you think it's good enough for prime time.

Thanks.

Not sure whether to put this on both named templates' descriptions, or only the second one:

The major difference between {{tropesubpagefooter}} and {{worksubpagefooter}} is that {{worksubpagefooter}} displays the parent page's name in italics, and thus should be used only for works.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-20-2023, 02:10 PM)robkelk Wrote:

And we have a reply which sounds legit to me. See here

I need mod opinions on this one, please...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-20-2023, 03:37 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(10-20-2023, 02:10 PM)robkelk Wrote:

And we have a reply which sounds legit to me. See here

I need mod opinions on this one, please...

Yeah, did some more digging, and they appear to be telling the truth, so I'll take the L on this one. On that note, TV Tropes is actually in violation of Creative Commons to some extent from looks of it. While they are only supposed to keep a copy of the latest revision only for the works and tropes pages, their purging of troper histories does destroy key records to prevent accusations of plagiarism by making sure the OG edit can be matched with the OG troper who wrote it.
(10-20-2023, 02:31 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(10-20-2023, 02:09 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, I've completed the template list and put it up in my sandbox.  Please give it a look.  Feel free to edit it as you see fit, and let me know if you think it's good enough for prime time.

Not sure whether to put this on both named templates' descriptions, or only the second one:

The major difference between {{tropesubpagefooter}} and {{worksubpagefooter}} is that {{worksubpagefooter}} displays the parent page's name in italics, and thus should be used only for works.

If you haven't added it to either or both yet, I'd say both. And since no one else has said anything on this in several days, when I get to the wiki today I'm going to move it into the project namespace and add links to it where appropriate, so if you haven't already added it, I will.
-- Bob

Can I please get second opinions on this edit in the Moderation Queue? There's nothing big that automatically merits a rejection, but it has a lot of little things -- some HTML code inserted (or even replacing wiki markup), a lot of examples just inserted wherever in their relevant sections instead of at the ends... nothing that by itself would automatically earn a rejection but... does the combination qualify?

Thanks.
-- Bob

(10-23-2023, 11:41 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Can I please get second opinions on this edit in the Moderation Queue?  There's nothing big that automatically merits a rejection, but it has a lot of little things -- some HTML code inserted (or even replacing wiki markup), a lot of examples just inserted wherever in their relevant sections instead of at the ends... nothing that by itself would automatically earn a rejection but... does the combination qualify?

Thanks.

Ouch.

It looks like the edits were made in Microsoft Word, considering the last new link on the page.

At the very least, we need to ask that troper to read the Style Guide.

I'd say "too much work needed to bring the page back into accordance with the Style Guide" and reject with the usual message.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
<nod> Sounds good. Thanks.
-- Bob

(10-23-2023, 05:00 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(10-23-2023, 11:41 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Can I please get second opinions on this edit in the Moderation Queue?  There's nothing big that automatically merits a rejection, but it has a lot of little things -- some HTML code inserted (or even replacing wiki markup), a lot of examples just inserted wherever in their relevant sections instead of at the ends... nothing that by itself would automatically earn a rejection but... does the combination qualify?

Thanks.

Ouch.

It looks like the edits were made in Microsoft Word, considering the last new link on the page.

At the very least, we need to ask that troper to read the Style Guide.

I'd say "too much work needed to bring the page back into accordance with the Style Guide" and reject with the usual message.

Guys, I just came across another edit by a different user with the same kind of HTML inserts -- could we be looking at another thing related to the MediaWiki 1.40, like the visual editor issue Bauerbach reported on my talk page? It's a bit of a coincidence for two unrelated users to suddenly start showing the same strange issue.
-- Bob