Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVIII
I did a rewrite on Megane almost a week ago, which you liked but no one else commented on. Kick that one back out at least, since no one said they didn't like it.

I've been meaning to take a look at video collage, since the cleanup is basically "see which examples on wikipedia we can use", but I haven't gotten around to it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(12-12-2023, 08:40 PM)robkelk Wrote: And as long as we're cleaning up the Trope Workshop... I've got this note in my sandbox that barely counts as an idea for a trope, assuming it is a trope. Am I working on a useful note instead? Or maybe something that's too rare to trope?

== Trope Workshop:Style Mismatch ==
''Don't know whether this is actually a trope or just a list of musical oddities. If it's the latter, toss it.''

A song is written in a style that's usually used for a completely different topic.

''needs a better description''

=== Music ===
* [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsDkmVo2fg4 "The White Collar Holler"] by [[Stan Rogers]] is a working-man's blues tune about having a desk job.
* "Ride That Lightning" by [[Chris Hadfield]] is a gospel tune about space flight.

I think I missed this when you posted it because it was at the top of the "next page" of the thread, and I have a habit of not noticing when new posts cross the page boundary. I know I've seen this before and I might even have a few examples in my MP3 collection. But you'll need to draw a fine line between it and "In the Style Of" -- this is about a mismatch between genre and subject, which can lap over onto the existing trope if you're not careful. In fact, there may be potential examples for this trope on that page...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Meanwhile, I've got a very odd copyright question. In this edit, a new user has expanded the quote page for a work with everything that was added to it at TVT since the fork. The quotes are not text original to TVT, they come from the work in question and commentaries upon it. But the result will be a page identical to TVT's current version of it.

I think this is still copyright infringement. Facts can't be copyrighted, but the selection and organization of facts can be, and in this case I think the quotes count as "facts" for that purpose. (And to be completely fair, I just bounced four other edits by the same user for copyright infringement.) But I wanted to get everyone else's opinions before I do anything.
-- Bob

(12-20-2023, 09:32 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Meanwhile, I've got a very odd copyright question.  In this edit, a new user has expanded the quote page for a work with everything that was added to it at TVT since the fork.  The quotes are not text original to TVT, they come from the work in question and commentaries upon it.  But the result will be a page identical to TVT's current version of it. 

I think this is still copyright infringement.  Facts can't be copyrighted, but the selection and organization of facts can be, and in this case I think the quotes count as "facts" for that purpose.  (And to be completely fair, I just bounced four other edits by the same user for copyright infringement.)  But I wanted to get everyone else's opinions before I do anything.

Hmm. This is legit borderline if you ask me. Given the user in question has a habit of doing wholesale ripoffs with knowing intent, I say we err on the side of caution here. If this were a good faith user, I'd lean closer to letting it ride.
I'd call it a derivative work, myself. And I understand that derivative works can be copyrighted separately in some countries, but in Canada the copyright belongs to whoever made the original work that the derivative was made from.

Especially considering that you mentioned there were other copyright violations posted by the same editor, I'd be inclined to bounce this one as well.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I have not watched this video yet, so linking to it instead of embedding it: Stop using Fandom

Miraheze is name-dropped many times in the comments. People are listening and asking for wikis.

So if we need any help from the hosting service, expect to wait a while... the workload is higher than normal at the moment.

EDIT: And we should look at doing a "how to optimize SEO on Miraheze" page and contribute it to Meta, if they don't already have one. Fandom is well-known to Google and Miraheze isn't.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
A present for tropers: Over a dozen more userboxes, all related to music.

I added boxes for the "obvious" missing styles (which could use images that are more specific than just an eighth note) and the top ten performers of all time according to Billboard.

See them here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-21-2023, 05:15 PM)thank you for the gift.robkelk Wrote: A present for tropers: Over a  dozen more userboxes, all related to music.

I added boxes for the "obvious" missing styles (which could use images that are more specific than just an eighth note) and the top ten performers of all time according to Billboard.

See them here.

Much obliged Rob. Given the season, your gift to us all is warmly appreciated.
Just as an FYI, I have been forced to write and open a Request for Comments on which organization gets to be the new Miraheze.  Personally I was arguing for Klingon Promotion, which would be a much more civilized method than this, but here we are, and it is what it is.  Go vote now, before things get really hairy.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(12-22-2023, 12:06 AM)Labster Wrote: ...Go vote now, before things get really hairy.

Too late! But it's still at the Internet Drama level, so pass the popcorn.

Attached Files
.gif   pass the popcorn.gif (Size: 104.91 KB / Downloads: 115)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Miraheze just went away. Including Phabricator, so I can't file an outage report.

EDIT: Yes, I checked with Down for Everyone or Just Me. Miraheze is down.

RE-EDIT: Five minutes later, and it's back. Content now, 503 error a half-minute earlier.

RE-RE-EDIT: And gone again. No 503s, just gone.

EDIT: 15 minutes later, it looks like Miraheze is back up. For real this time.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, Miraheze went down, went back up, and now WikiTide is down.  What a 2023.

Last I heard it might have been due to an AI bot.
Speaking with my tinfoil hat on, maybe somebody really doesn't like the current RfC.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It couldn't be Bing.  He is a good Bing.  Maybe you are a bad user.
Besides, Bing is hanging out with David Bowie, singing Christmas carols this time of year.
-- Bob

In the spirit of "Am I The Asshole?"... Am I the one who doesn't understand how to pick an image?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I hate having to put a new editor On Notice.

But if they're going to ignore a mod, I don't have much choice.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Once again, Kuma has demonstrated his outstanding ability to name new tropes -- take a guess what "Source Control" is about. If you said software, you don't think like Kuma.

I've already called for an immediate rename.
-- Bob

Oh, but what other name could we possibly give to a trope about the manipulation of power? "Power Manipulation", for one.

And I see there's an animated GIF on the page for no particular reason. The frequency of the loop makes me uneasy; so I wouldn't be at all surprised f that's one of those seizure-inducing animations that the Pokemon fans told us about, so many years ago. I've asked for an image replacement.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm thinking of proposing a new rule for the Trope Workshop: Kuma is no longer allowed to name his own trope candidates.

D'you think it'll fly? <grin>
-- Bob

(12-24-2023, 03:57 PM)robkelk Wrote: In the spirit of "Am I The Asshole?"... Am I the one who doesn't understand how to pick an image?

Nah, the image sucks.  I was just joking on the talk thread.
(12-22-2023, 12:06 AM)Labster Wrote: Just as an FYI, I have been forced to write and open a Request for Comments on which organization gets to be the new Miraheze.  Personally I was arguing for Klingon Promotion, which would be a much more civilized method than this, but here we are, and it is what it is.  Go vote now, before things get really hairy.

This RFC closes today when the ball drops, so anyone who hasn't cast a vote yet can do so.

I gave up fighting the misinformation a week ago, but I applaud Rob's valiant effort.  Still, they are about as informed as an average electorate in an average election.
(12-31-2023, 06:13 AM)Labster Wrote:
(12-22-2023, 12:06 AM)Labster Wrote: Just as an FYI, I have been forced to write and open a Request for Comments on which organization gets to be the new Miraheze.  Personally I was arguing for Klingon Promotion, which would be a much more civilized method than this, but here we are, and it is what it is.  Go vote now, before things get really hairy.

This RFC closes today when the ball drops, so anyone who hasn't cast a vote yet can do so.

I gave up fighting the misinformation a week ago, but I applaud Rob's valiant effort.  Still, they are about as informed as an average electorate in an average election.

And I'm only going for the blatantly-obvious items, too.

Honestly, it's like a Dem/GoP "discussion" in there sometimes.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, the vote is over, and unless someone comes in yelling "STOP THE COUNT!" it's looking like WikiTide has won the election.

Long have the Stewards overseen Miraheze, but now it is time to recall the old rhyme: Seven stars and seven servers and one white tree.  It is time to unfurl the banner, for we have the return of the Board!

I thought Board was the guy from Laketown who shot Smaug... <grin>

More seriously...

As I write this, ATT has been throwing 50X errors for about ten or fifteen minutes now.

At least I managed to tally the votes and delete Kuma's latest monstrosity of a trope candidate before the servers started spazzing out.
-- Bob