Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dearly Departed of 2024
Dearly Departed of 2024
RIP Niklaus Wirth, creator of (amongst other things) the Pascal programming language.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Dearly Departed of 2024
Glynis Johns, age 100. If you're going "who?", she was probably best known to American audiences as Mrs. Banks in Mary Poppins, but had a substantial acting career beyond that role.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Actor David Soul has died at the age of 80.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/...r-AA1mw3FM

Kilroy
RIP Adan Canto
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RIP Ed Broadbent, considered by many to be the best Prime Minister that Canada never had.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Joyce Randolph, who played Trixie Norton on The Honeymooners, dies at 99:
https://ew.com/joyce-randolph-dead-the-h...ss-8426184

Bill Hayes, who acted in over 2,000 episodes of Days of Our Lives, dies at 98:
https://ew.com/bill-hayes-dead-days-of-o...or-8426095
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
Writer and TV critic Tom Shales has died at the age of 79 of COVID-19 with kidney failure.

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/13/122462569...ngton-post
Peter Shickele of "PDQ Bach" fame, age 88
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RIP Norman Jewison

His credits include Fiddler On The Roof, Jesus Christ Superstar, Moonstruck, The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming, and In The Heat Of The Night
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-22-2024, 04:03 PM)robkelk Wrote: RIP Norman Jewison

His credits include Fiddler On The Roof, Jesus Christ Superstar, Moonstruck, The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming, and In The Heat Of The Night

And, as the article notes, the original versions of The Thomas Crown Affair and Rollerball. (Mainichi hitotsu mamechishiki, la-la-la!)
RIP David Mills

Do you have a clock on your computer? Does the time match everybody else's time? Thank David Mills for inventing and implementing Network Time Protocol, the way for computers to do that.

He also wrote what's believed to be the very first FTP client software.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Melanie, age 76

If you're going "who?", she performed at Woodstock, and was famous for "Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)" (which she wrote about the festival) and "Brand New Key".
-- Bob

RIP Frank Farian, the record producer who created the groups Boney M., No Mercy, and Milli Vanilli.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RIP Chita Rivera

Among other roles, she was in the original Broadway cast of Guys and Dolls, West Side Story, and Chicago, and had the title role in the 1993 performance of Kiss of the Spider Woman
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RIP Carl Weathers

Actor from Rocky, Predators and The Mandalorian
Toby Keith

Outspoken country music performer
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
William Post, inventor of the Pop-Tart, age 96.
-- Bob

RIP Alexei Navalny, outspoken critic of Vladimir Putin.

Suddenly, while in custody.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Steve Miller - of "Steve Miller and Sharon Lee", authors of the 'Liaden' space-opera stories - passed suddenly yesterday.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
(02-21-2024, 10:09 AM)ECSNorway Wrote: Steve Miller - of "Steve Miller and Sharon Lee", authors of the 'Liaden' space-opera stories - passed suddenly yesterday.

ah man, I only discovered the Liaden stories 5 or 6 years ago and have been working my way through the series.
(02-21-2024, 12:07 PM)Norgarth Wrote:
(02-21-2024, 10:09 AM)ECSNorway Wrote: Steve Miller - of "Steve Miller and Sharon Lee", authors of the 'Liaden' space-opera stories - passed suddenly yesterday.

ah man, I only discovered the Liaden stories 5 or 6 years ago and have been working my way through the series.

Obit at https://file770.com/steven-richard-mille...y-20-2024/

And a bit over a meter of shelf space for everything I have. I am missing most of the early/ier chap books.
----
Web Home
Comedian Richard Lewis, age 76
-- Bob

RIP Brian Mulroney, past Prime Minister of Canada.

Americans might remember his impromptu duet with Ronald Reagan during a summit meeting.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Resubmission: Akira Toriyama, Creator of Dragon Ball.
----
Web Home
Also a repost:

Singer Steve Lawrence, age 88
-- Bob