Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Complaining about the weather - 2024 edition
Complaining about the weather - 2024 edition
Ugh. Not even two weeks into the new year, and we get this in the forecast:
Quote:Valid: 1:00 PM EST Tuesday 9 January 2024 - 1:00 AM EST Thursday 11 January 2024
A strong low pressure system is expected to bring snow, blowing snow and strong winds. Travel is expected to be hazardous at times. Consider postponing non-essential travel.

At least I'm already scheduled to work from home those days. Must remember to stop at the store after work Monday and stock up on shelf-stable foods, just in case.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Complaining about the weather - 2024 edition
Looks like power outages are likely today and tomorrow due to heavy wind (20-30mph gusting to 55) from the storm moving up the US east coast, so I hope everyone in affected areas are ready to snug up in your hobbit holes. And that they have good drainage, since forecasts are now saying 2-3" of rain rather than just "up to two inches." Fortunately, Dad's appointment is for early afternoon so we should be back before it gets this far, and don't need to go anywhere else for a couple days, but that's wind enough to make trouble driving even before to possibility of things getting blown down into the road or heavy rain making things slick and limiting visibility.

At least it's also warm; an outage with two or three feet of snow and temperatures in the teens (F) like last night would suck even more.
--
‎noli esse culus
(01-09-2024, 11:42 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: Looks like power outages are likely today and tomorrow due to heavy wind (20-30mph gusting to 55) from the storm moving up the US east coast, so I hope everyone in affected areas are ready to snug up in your hobbit holes. And that they have good drainage, since forecasts are now saying 2-3" of rain rather than just "up to  two inches." Fortunately, Dad's appointment is for early afternoon so we should be back before it gets this far, and don't need to go anywhere else for a couple days, but that's wind enough to make trouble driving even before to possibility of things getting blown down into the road or heavy rain making things slick and limiting visibility.

At least it's also warm; an outage with two or three feet of snow and temperatures in the teens (F) like last night would suck even more.
I just had work on the roof done last week. Fingers crossed it holds up, but so far it looks good.
January snowfall, take two.

Looks like Ottawa's getting a relatively low pile, only 15-25cm. Other places in the storm's path are expecting 40cm. (For folks still using old money, 30cm is roughly one foot.)

Funny how many people were at the grocery store this evening... Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
As I type this, the temperature in Ottawa is 13°C/55°F. It's supposed to start raining any minute now. The forecast low tonight is -14°C/7°F... before the precipitation stops.

Good thing I've already booked tomorrow as a vacation day. Good thing I have a bin of ice melter in the basement.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We've got much the same here -- 61F and raining right now. By dawn tomorrow it'll be back down to about 30F. Not as bad as your situation, but similar.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I left for work this morning at 6am, temp was 14C (11C after wind chill) Now (5pm) it's -3C (-11C with windchill)

though at least my region has only gotten limited precipitation.
Me, looking at the forecast: "The fuck is this, a week of barely hitting the forties (Fahrenheit) when it's almost the end of March?"

Punxsutawney Phil: "I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further."
--
‎noli esse culus
Well, the eclipse is at maximum here, or should be according to the calculations. About 1/8th of the sun's diameter left exposed... but of course the sky clouded over in the last half hour or so, so there's nothing to see but grey haze, now darker grey. Tongue
--
‎noli esse culus
At the moment of maximum coverage here the sky decided to be overcast for the first time all day. And now, 40 minutes later, it's brilliant blue with scattered clouds. It looked no darker than a typically rainy day.

And Peggy's going to be annoyed that she slept right through it. <grin>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
My leg was acting up, so I stayed inside.

We got to 98.5% coverage... and the street lights that are on sensors never switched on.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
For those who are angry at clouds forming as the eclipse progressed; consider the possibility that as the eclipse progressed the temperature dropped due to a loss of incoming sunlight, causing condensation on a large scale at high altitudes, thereby causing clouds to appear.
Oh, I'm sure that's what it was here. Doesn't make it any less annoying when it's the big hype event of the past few days.

I did manage to win an ebay auction for a lot of several things and still pay less than other listings for the one thing I really wanted from it, though. Not so sure if that was because of the distraction of the eclipse or just being one of those assholes who raise their bid just before the clock runs out, but eh, that's online auctions for you.
--
‎noli esse culus
(04-09-2024, 12:17 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: Oh, I'm sure that's what it was here. Doesn't make it any less annoying when it's the big hype event of the past few days.

I know that I'm happy that one particular Bonnie Tyler song had finally dropped out of heavy rotation again.

(04-09-2024, 12:17 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: I did manage to win an ebay auction for a lot of several things and still pay less than other listings for the one thing I really wanted from it, though. Not so sure if that was because of the distraction of the eclipse or just being one of those assholes who raise their bid just before the clock runs out, but eh, that's online auctions for you.

The Register: Solar eclipse darkened skies, dampened internet traffic -- it was probably the distraction.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
So... flooding in Dubai.

And this isn't just Dubai Creek bursting its banks, either. It's affected the airport.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown