Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
Old thread is here

Back in thread XXVI, I asked about Extension:CirrusSearch/CompletionSuggester, which we couldn't get because we didn't have CirrusSearch. We have CirrusSearch now. Do we want to go through the process of asking the Tropers whether they want it, and asking Miraheze whether we can have it?

Alternately,

In an even earlier thread, Geth wondered about AdvancedSearch. That, we can now turn on whenever we want. Do we want to go through the process of asking the Tropers whether they want it?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
(02-05-2024, 12:32 PM)robkelk Wrote: Old thread is here

Back in thread XXVI, I asked about Extension:CirrusSearch/CompletionSuggester, which we couldn't get because we didn't have CirrusSearch. We have CirrusSearch now. Do we want to go through the process of asking the Tropers whether they want it, and asking Miraheze whether we can have it?

Alternately,

In an even earlier thread, Geth wondered about AdvancedSearch. That, we can now turn on whenever we want. Do we want to go through the process of asking the Tropers whether they want it?

FYI, in response to your last comment in the prior thread, RelatedArticles was always on, just "disabled" from working automatically since we didn't have CirrusSearch nor the proper backend settings configured. If you think we need to disable it and put it up to a vote first, I will be the LAST person to object. That said, consensus is good, but bureaucratic inertia has its own flaws, and I ultimately just asked for a feature we always had to be fixed, feel free to disable it if you want to put it to a vote first.

As for Advanced Search and Completion Suggester, I of course think both are great ideas and would endorse both, but again, I suggest if you want to make Tropers aware so they can vote, you need to put up a site notice linking to a post informing them of the features and asking them to vote on them being one/enabled or not. If we do this, I will happily go along with any attempt at building consensus. That said, we never asked the community for CirrusSearch, but it was direly needed for technical reasons to make our search way less slow and inefficient (and also sped up database calls in general, making page loads faster), and I for one do not regret asking for that because our search backend is way less inefficient.

In short, since I've always been an advocate of making us viable in every relevant regard for people to switch over from apparently superior alternatives to us, I favor any technological solution that brings us closer to that end. I have no objection to voting on these things to be enabled, but in cases like CirrusSearch and many of it's inherent advantages over the inefficiency of what we had, I will happily ask forgiveness over worry about permission because our site speed has improved drastically and that benefits the community no matter how you look at it.
Miraheze disappeared a couple minutes ago. KanriKyara, All The Tropes, Meta -- all have vanished. Down For Everyone or Just Me? reports that it can't see them.

EDIT: Never mind. As soon as I typed all that, they all came back.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(02-05-2024, 03:30 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Miraheze disappeared a couple minutes ago.  KanriKyara, All The Tropes, Meta -- all have vanished.  Down For Everyone or Just Me? reports that it can't see them.

EDIT:  Never mind.  As soon as I typed all that, they all came back.

Cleaned out a lot of old and depreciated site code I added back like a dozen MW versions ago, a lot of issues people may have noticed with the Vector watchlist and certain skins should be fixed.
It looks like cloud18 got a more than one bad RAM chip. We probably got a bad batch (still looks less likely it’s the RAM slots or the board). I am very happy that hardware is no longer directly our problem.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I thought we killed the visual editor in the Main namespace. Why is it being offered to me?

See the upper-right corner of this screenshot:

--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Looks like Template:Related/doc needs to be updated. I would not have added "This template is buggy. It is being depreciated in favor of our current "Compare with...", "Contrast with...", "Subtrope of...", "Supertrope to...", and "Not to be confused with..." lines at the end of description text, which are not buggy and are more informative than entries made using this template." if we hadn't agreed to add it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-06-2024, 11:10 AM)robkelk Wrote: I thought we killed the visual editor in the Main namespace. Why is it being offered to me?

I've been running into this for weeks. (Months?) I brought it up once, was assured it was entirely my end -- cookies, settings, whatever -- and not a wiki issue.

EDIT: Oh, wait... that's not the editor, Rob. That's the redlining between versions. I was playing with that. "Wikitext" is the way it's always been. "Visual" shows it using rendered content. It's apparently a new (?) MediaWiki feature, or one that's just been turned on for us.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(02-06-2024, 01:53 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(02-06-2024, 11:10 AM)robkelk Wrote: I thought we killed the visual editor in the Main namespace. Why is it being offered to me?

I've been running into this for weeks.  (Months?)  I brought it up once, was assured it was entirely my end -- cookies, settings, whatever -- and not a wiki issue.

EDIT:  Oh, wait... that's not the editor, Rob.  That's the redlining between versions.  I was playing with that.  "Wikitext" is the way it's always been.  "Visual" shows it using rendered content.  It's apparently a new (?) MediaWiki feature, or one that's just been turned on for us.

It's a new backend feature of MW core to make for a more seamless preview. 

Also, I believe Completion Suggestor for Cirrus Search is something we need, as in, no reason to vote, it's just a good idea with no feasible technical downside that will make site searches better. Advanced Search may be overkill, but we should vote on that.
I believe I was the one who asked for Completion Suggestor in the first place. Let's do this, and see whether we still want Advanced Search later.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Never got this error before:

Quote:Wiki not found

We couldn't find this wiki. Check your spelling and try again.

EDIT: Seeing it more often now. Ticket T11805 entered.

RE-EDIT: And fixed, although there's an underlying error that needs to be addressed.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Rob, as to your earlier comments on Completion Suggester, sounds good to me.

As for the Related template, that was something I did when we could only get Related Articles working manually and I have no objection to watching it put down like Old Yeller. In fact, I just decoupled it it from all the pages it was on and did the needful because it's pretty useless.
The wiki's slowed down again... and the "Purge" button is missing from the "More" menu.

If this is how the Canadian cache works, I'd rather not have a cache...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-08-2024, 08:25 PM)robkelk Wrote: The wiki's slowed down again... and the "Purge" button is missing from the "More" menu.

If this is how the Canadian cache works, I'd rather not have a cache...

Known issue with MW core:

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T312149

https://github.com/Hutchy68/Purge/issues/33

Basically, the extension uses a now depreciated function and that caused this to bug out despite us having the Purge extension.

Just press F5 (or CTRL+F5) for now until they release a bugfix patch.
I hate having to put a new editor On Notice, but if they're going to ignore mod comments on their own talk page, and make the same mistake that they made the first time, well, we don't have a choice.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Gotta love the hard-of-thinking. <sigh>
-- Bob

I've cleared the low-hanging fruit from the Moderation queue, leaving us with five submissions that I don't feel competent enough to review.

In some cases, it's because I'm not familiar with the work in question. In others, it's because I'm having trouble parsing the text.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-10-2024, 05:57 PM)robkelk Wrote: I've cleared the low-hanging fruit from the Moderation queue, leaving us with five submissions that I don't feel competent enough to review.

In some cases, it's because I'm not familiar with the work in question. In others, it's because I'm having trouble parsing the text.

The Ed, Edd, and Eddy one looks SUS. On top of the markup being absolutely butchered (and either stolen from somewhere or just horrifically mangled), I'm not sure exactly what they were trying to say because the text formatting is an unreadable mess now. Ditto Mind Control University.

Veggietales edit looks fine. Darker and Edgier fails grammar hard. As for the new page, check to see if it's a TVT rip, but otherwise looks fine to me.
I dug through the Mind Control University edit, and discovered the actual changes. I'm rejecting the change for exactly the same reason that Looney Toons rejected the last proposed change to the same page by the same person. Sin ce that person's so-called explanation included a bald-faced lie that they were called on, and this isn't that editor's first tempban, I'm skipping the On Notice phase of the process and going straight to a one-month tempban.

We're down to the "Ed, Edd, and Eddy" edit, the new "Taxi Driver" page, and a new edit to "Mexico" that only needs TVT and Wikipedia rip checks. I don't mind if somebody else gets to them before I get back from grocery shopping.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And now we're down to just the "Ed, Edd, and Eddy" edit... which I am tempted to ask the editor to re-submit because the markup is in such bad shape.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Template:color is broken - it's generating "Misnested tag with different rendering in HTML5 and HTML4" lint errors even when it isn't nested inside of anything.

I'm replacing it with "<span style{{=}}"color:FOO;">" and "</span>" to get the pages off the error list.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-11-2024, 03:05 PM)robkelk Wrote: Template:color is broken - it's generating "Misnested tag with different rendering in HTML5 and HTML4" lint errors even when it isn't nested inside of anything.

I'm replacing it with "<span style{{=}}"color:FOO;">" and "</span>" to get the pages off the error list.

And that's done for the pages on that list.

Which means that everything left on the "High priority" list of Lint errors is beyond my skills to fix. Counting everything under "Miscellaneous" as a single error because they're all from the same transcluded template, there's a half-dozen errors left that require the attention of an actual coder.

EDIT: As for lower-priority lint errors, we could get rid of literally thousands of them if the Lua module called by Template:Ambox was to be re-written to replace the "<center></center>" HTML tags with CSS.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Could you replace it with: https://dev.miraheze.org/wiki/Template:Mbox and https://dev.miraheze.org/wiki/Module:Message_box ?  I'm wondering if our internal Miraheze resources for templates would be better to take from, since it's less Wikipedia customized.

We've done a lot of policy changes to the Miraheze farm, which means a new Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which I'm sure you've all read, but suffice to say little has changed there.  You might want to check out the open RFC on the Content Policy, which is slightly more controversial.  Mostly this is all fine and just an editor finally replacing my crazy wording which has been combined with random previous RFCs into a more coherent document.  But then there's 1.4, which is proposing more scrutiny on fanfiction.  You can read my reply there to see how I feel about that.  (Also there's some guy who thinks WikiTide is just a cash grab and is voting against everything in an effort to become the new Nale, ignore him.)  There's nothing in the policy proposal be of specific concern to ATT, though.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Cast my votes.

NimoStar should be offered a vote on whether he's allowed to vote against anything. He'd immediately ban himself out of sheer reflex.
-- Bob

(02-14-2024, 03:35 AM)Labster Wrote: Could you replace it with: https://dev.miraheze.org/wiki/Template:Mbox and https://dev.miraheze.org/wiki/Module:Message_box ?  I'm wondering if our internal Miraheze resources for templates would be better to take from, since it's less Wikipedia customized.

* robkelk goes and looks

Yes. Let's do this. As a second-order effect, this will also standardize the look-and-feel of the message boxes.

(02-14-2024, 03:35 AM)Labster Wrote: We've done a lot of policy changes to the Miraheze farm, which means a new Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which I'm sure you've all read, but suffice to say little has changed there.  You might want to check out the open RFC on the Content Policy, which is slightly more controversial.  Mostly this is all fine and just an editor finally replacing my crazy wording which has been combined with random previous RFCs into a more coherent document.  But then there's 1.4, which is proposing more scrutiny on fanfiction.  You can read my reply there to see how I feel about that.  (Also there's some guy who thinks WikiTide is just a cash grab and is voting against everything in an effort to become the new Nale, ignore him.)  There's nothing in the policy proposal be of specific concern to ATT, though.

Guess I'd better go read them, then.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown