Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX
(02-05-2024, 12:32 PM)robkelk Wrote: Old thread is here

Back in thread XXVI, I asked about Extension:CirrusSearch/CompletionSuggester, which we couldn't get because we didn't have CirrusSearch. We have CirrusSearch now. Do we want to go through the process of asking the Tropers whether they want it, and asking Miraheze whether we can have it?

Alternately,

In an even earlier thread, Geth wondered about AdvancedSearch. That, we can now turn on whenever we want. Do we want to go through the process of asking the Tropers whether they want it?

FYI, in response to your last comment in the prior thread, RelatedArticles was always on, just "disabled" from working automatically since we didn't have CirrusSearch nor the proper backend settings configured. If you think we need to disable it and put it up to a vote first, I will be the LAST person to object. That said, consensus is good, but bureaucratic inertia has its own flaws, and I ultimately just asked for a feature we always had to be fixed, feel free to disable it if you want to put it to a vote first.

As for Advanced Search and Completion Suggester, I of course think both are great ideas and would endorse both, but again, I suggest if you want to make Tropers aware so they can vote, you need to put up a site notice linking to a post informing them of the features and asking them to vote on them being one/enabled or not. If we do this, I will happily go along with any attempt at building consensus. That said, we never asked the community for CirrusSearch, but it was direly needed for technical reasons to make our search way less slow and inefficient (and also sped up database calls in general, making page loads faster), and I for one do not regret asking for that because our search backend is way less inefficient.

In short, since I've always been an advocate of making us viable in every relevant regard for people to switch over from apparently superior alternatives to us, I favor any technological solution that brings us closer to that end. I have no objection to voting on these things to be enabled, but in cases like CirrusSearch and many of it's inherent advantages over the inefficiency of what we had, I will happily ask forgiveness over worry about permission because our site speed has improved drastically and that benefits the community no matter how you look at it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIX - by GethN7 - 02-05-2024, 01:48 PM