Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warner Bros is shutting down Rooster Teeth
Warner Bros is shutting down Rooster Teeth
Variety article here.

So... at least since Warners bought it two years ago, RT has never been profitable. They tried to sell it, but got no buyers, so they're closing it down entirely. About the only good news coming out of this is that they want to retain the rights to and keep making RWBY, Red vs Blue and gen:LOCK.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Warner Bros is shutting down Rooster Teeth
it's odd how often these smaller companies seem to do well, right up until they get bought out by a major corporation, and then they end up not making money. 

One might think that trying to make a small company operate like a big one doesn't work well.  Other times the new owners seem to change the direction of the products assuming the old fans will simply accept the new direction blindly. Rolleyes
(03-06-2024, 03:56 PM)Norgarth Wrote: it's odd how often these smaller companies seem to do well, right up until they get bought out by a major corporation, and then they end up not making money. 

In a lot of cases, the act of buying a company means the debt for that purchase winds up dumped onto the purchased company. So even if it was profitable before, it is no longer profitable when trying to pay off the cost of buying it.

Sorry to hear this news coming less than a week after the first episode of Camp Camp's season 5 aired.
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
Is it really good news if they're going to keep making RWBY at this point?
--
‎noli esse culus
Oh wow, taking the most popular product off a service makes it lose money?  Who would have thought?

I'm pretty sure RWBY will continue.  They're talking about wanting to sell the rights, which means they think it has value. Basically they discovered that if they take the most popular products and resell them elsewhere, they can make more money while losing a whole bunch of stuff... well, I never bothered to watch it.  RvB, Gen:Lock, and RWBY are the only things worth money there, really.  And apparently some of the podcasts. RTX is a definite casualty, though.

It's kind of funny, 100 years of Hollywood and the accountants say they've never turned a profit yet, which is how they make so much money.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
With the site shutdown confirmed for May 15th, RT fans have been busy.

https://archiveofpimps.com/

Pretty much EVERYTHING RT's ever made. The things that aren't there yet are confirmed to have been archived and will go up.