Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best TTRPG system for swords-and-rayguns classic sci fi?
Best TTRPG system for swords-and-rayguns classic sci fi?
Of course you can adapt whatever strikes your fancy, as can generics like BESM, GURPS, or HERO by definition, but I'm wondering what people think of for out-of-the-box. (GURPS Space combined with Lowtech/Dungeon Fantasy are not disqualified if you really think that's the best. I'm just looking for opinions.)

Spelljammer, well, neither 2e or 5e D&D really match the tone I'm looking for, falling far more into Tolkienesque high fantasy than even early science fiction, and it's the only one I'm really familiar with aside from WEG Star Wars and the genericized d6 Space, which is by default a bit too industrial/technological, predictably in both cases due to those being the source material they're based on.
--
‎noli esse culus
RE: Best TTRPG system for swords-and-rayguns classic sci fi?
The problem with having been in this hobby for what is now approaching fifty years is that I've seen hundreds of game systems come and go. I know I've seen something along the lines of what you're looking for, but damn me if I can remember any specifics.

At least we can safely eliminate The Spawn of Fashan from consideration. <grin>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(07-12-2024, 02:38 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: (GURPS Space combined with Lowtech/Dungeon Fantasy are not disqualified if you really think that's the best. I'm just looking for opinions.)

In that case, chapter 7 of GURPS Mars might have you covered.

(07-12-2024, 07:13 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: The problem with having been in this hobby for what is now approaching fifty years is that I've seen hundreds of game systems come and go.  I know I've seen something along the lines of what you're looking for, but damn me if I can remember any specifics.

At least we can safely eliminate The Spawn of Fashan from consideration.  <grin>

I think that goes without saying... Smile

Space 1899 isn't bad, really. It depends on which rule system you use.

Heroes of Mars uses the FUDGE system. It's pretty closely tied to Barsoom as a setting. On the other hand, it's free. YMMV depending on what you think of FUDGE.

Barsoom again: This one's wargaming, not RPG. It's free because the copyright wasn't renewed. It might be of interest for the historical value, seeing it's 50 years old. Warriors of Mars: The Warfare of Barsoom in Miniature (1974), by Gary Gygax and Brian Blume. (Download the PDF, not the EPUB.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
In terms of system or worldbuilding?

Feng Shui might work as a system, it's designed for the type of cinematic action.
(07-12-2024, 08:40 AM)Jinx999 Wrote: In terms of system or worldbuilding?

Feng Shui might work as a system, it's designed for the type of cinematic action.

I'd say that world/setting details aren't too important except in how the intended style of play affects system design - it's got to work with that Errol Flynn flair, and having the skill and ability frameworks already built around accommodating a need for space-related things like getting past language barriers, astro-navigation, high-/low-/zero-G athletics, etc. is a big part of the "out of the box" factor, but I'm not looking to recreate, frex, the adventures of John Carter specifically.
--
‎noli esse culus