Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anime Reccomendation
Anime Reccomendation
Seirei no Moribito is made of win and awesome. The art and animation are better than some movies, the period and cultural details and the character designs and... The fights? They're smart. They make sense! They're over in just a few seconds! Just... just go check it out.
And, I swear before heaven, I'd be saying that even if Balsa didn't hit just about every one of my buttons. ^_^
Ja, -n

===============================================
"I'm terribly sorry, but I have to kill you quite horribly now."
Re: Anime Reccomendation
Er... I need a little more than that if I'm going to steal, er, copy the writeup over to the Anime Primer...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
If i've been informed properly.. Moribito is made by the guys responsible for GITS, and as a bonus to that Balsa is voiced by the same VA who did Major Kusanagi Smile_______________________________
We're definitely playing this game wrong. I thought Vampire was supposed to be a game of personal horror, not about ninja magic-carpet airstrikes at night.
- A friend after playing a session of Dark Ages Vampire.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. THERE IS ONLY WAR!
-Same friend.
Balsa is just plain cool. Sure, I'd have preferred someone more irreverent, but the sheer 'tude of this woman and that determination? Hell yeah.
And you're right. Best melee combat I've seen in a long, long while in an anime. This show illustrates perfectly the difference between a duel and a real fight, and the fact that in the latter the more unexpected your attack, the better.
Definitely going to be following this, even if just for the great combat sequences and animation.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
*nodnod* And, and, Spears! Yay!
...actually, I think my favorite touch is the commercial eyecatches. They're both intriguing and apropos as hell on several different levels.
Ja, -n

On another note, you might want to try out Rocket Girls, if you aren't already. It's zany, uplifting, has a lot of cliches in it, but it's also fun as hell. It's also the first anime I've ever considered reccing just because it's 'cute', which is saying something, considering my particular sensibilities.
Worth watching for the line of: 'Sayoko-san? How much do you think she weighs?' at the end of the first episode.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Is it just a coincidence, or does the shaman look very much like she is modeled as a homage to the witch from spirited away?
I think that the big-eyed obaba type may just be a Japanese cultural trope in general.
I'm also amused by the fact that Balsa and Tanda seem to be able to have complete conversations just by trading glances. An actual marriage would, I think, just be a recognition of the kind of relationship they already have... though the question of whether or not they're already sleeping together is more open.
And, having just finished episode seven... the Yakue are matrilineal. Nice touch.
Ja, -n

Quote:
On another note, you might want to try out Rocket Girls, if you aren't already. It's zany, uplifting, has a lot of cliches in it, but it's also fun as hell. It's also the first anime I've ever considered reccing just because it's 'cute', which is saying something, considering my particular sensibilities.
So, I'm doing that right now. Middle of the second episode. I'm really wondering how they're gonna stretch this out for even a half-season run... but interested in finding out. They get big props for doing their science right, too.
Ja, -n

Observation Re: Rocket Girls Ep. 4
Mihara Motoko is hot.
That is all.
Ja, -n

jim-carey Smoken! /jim-carey
don't know if this has been mentioned before or not, but Nodame Cantabile. It's classical music and screwball comedy! In one!
-murmur