Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part V

SPF wants you guys to re-register so he can fix some errant log entries, so if nothing else, re-register your accounts plz. Actual editing will have to wait, need to fix some errant DB issues.

Feel free to edit now.

ADMINS; You will need to regrant autopatrolled/confirmed rights to all reregistered accounts. Also, the rest of our images and extensions will be reeneabled as time permits.

GethN7 Wrote:SPF wants you guys to re-register so he can fix some errant log entries, so if nothing else, re-register your accounts plz. Actual editing will have to wait, need to fix some errant DB issues.
Done.

GethN7 Wrote:Feel free to edit now.

ADMINS; You will need to regrant autopatrolled/confirmed rights to all reregistered accounts. Also, the rest of our images and extensions will be reeneabled as time permits.
Can't do that until I get my rights again. (Ditto for Bob, I see.)

Odd that doing an upload nukes admin rights on accounts...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:GethN7 wrote:
SPF wants you guys to re-register so he can fix some errant log entries, so if nothing else, re-register your accounts plz. Actual editing will have to wait, need to fix some errant DB issues.
Okay... how do I do that with my account still in place?  It seems to be just fine, save for lacking all the admin permissions.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Oh, and by the way, I just stumbled over this today -- looks like we're good enough for TV Tropes to start poaching pages from us. Their page for http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/F ... OfAlexMack]The Secret Return of Alex Mack is a duplicate of http://allthetropes.miraheze.org/wiki/ ... _Alex_Mack]ours, copied over wholesale in February. (Is one of you guys "Mandolin" over on TVT?) Anyway, if you posted a new work page some time in the last few months, you might just want to see if TVT has decided to pay you a compliment by copying it instead of creating one from scratch.
Edit:  Hm.  I should go through the recent edits and write my own entries for any tropes they added that I didn't have.
-- Bob
---------

Send me messages on ATT if you need your rights back, I will get on it ASAP.

Also, report any further errors to Miraheze staff (Southparkfan and John Lewis especially). They are fixing them ASAP, please let them know either on Miraheze Meta or on their Github tracker

Note: Only try to reregister if your account is not already registered for some reason.

Done.
-- Bob
---------

Bob: Isn't that not allowed given that the licenses that TVT and ATT have are incompatible? I get that, technically speaking, TVT could import stuff from ATT, since ATT does allow derivative works... But we could run into snafus if someone at TVT thinks it was the other way around.

And if it is allowed, then shouldn't such pages include a not-fine-print credit to ATT? (Bet that will get Fast Eddie to pull them down real quick.)

I'm not sure how we would handle it if there were a challenge. If I didn't have to leave for work in literally a minute, I'd go check the Wayback Machine for the relative ages of the page. Oh, and I just checked -- Miraheze preserved the page history, so the copy there shows the December 2014 creation date, and TVT's history shows a February creation. So that's in our favor. Unless of course someone at TVT is willing to falsify the history records just to give us a black eye. But the Wayback Machine will still show the right dates.
-- Bob
---------

Black Aeronaut Wrote:Bob: Isn't that not allowed given that the licenses that TVT and ATT have are incompatible? I get that, technically speaking, TVT could import stuff from ATT, since ATT does allow derivative works... But we could run into snafus if someone at TVT thinks it was the other way around.

And if it is allowed, then shouldn't such pages include a not-fine-print credit to ATT? (Bet that will get Fast Eddie to pull them down real quick.)

Our licenses are now incompatible. They use CC BY NC SA now, we use CC BY SA. The key difference being: SHARE-ALIKE. As in, the terms must be identical. The NC clause on their site disqualifies itself as SA by our license standard, so I'll be looking into this.

Also, Drew Schoentrup runs the place now, not Fast Eddie.

Update: Sent a PM on TVT asking staff to look into this, also, here's an archive in case TVT history suddenly gets played with:

http://archive.is/ovx0r

Here's a copy of the Pm, for your records, Bob:

I'm afraid TV Tropes may host content ripped off from us

http://allthetropes.miraheze.org/w/ind ... id=1201881

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/article_hist ... ack&more=t

http://archive.is/ovx0r

According to the page source for when this page was created on TV Tropes, it's nigh identical to our own and was created two months after ours using almost all of text word for word, barring format changes.

This is a copyright violation, since we now use incompatible licenses, and whoever Mandolin is (not Looney Toons, still permabanned from setting foot on TV Tropes to my knowledge), they seem to have ripped us off substantially.

ATT uses CC BY SA, TVT now uses CC BY NC SA, with the key difference being the SA provision, meaning we'd both have to have CC BY SA or another license with identical provisions (The NC disqualifies TV Tropes from importing it, given the date) for TV Tropes to use our content now.

Given the evidence, which looks to be quite clear for plagiarism, I am politely asking for the page's removal (despite our change in venue, the original date of creation is preserved in our site logs and the Wayback Machine) as a result.

If not, I shall leave it to Bob Schroeck's discretion what should be done regarding further action.

Please let me know whatever action TV Tropes intends to do based on this information, and if you or other staff require further information, I am at your service.

Update: TV Tropes Staff have informed me they are looking into the matter and will be taking appropriate action.

Thanks, Geth. Sorry about the confusion -- I clearly misunderstood how the rights issues worked in the opposite direction of our usual concern. I won't make that mistake again.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Thanks, Geth. Sorry about the confusion -- I clearly misunderstood how the rights issues worked in the opposite direction of our usual concern. I won't make that mistake again.

I suggest giving TV Tropes a week or so to make up their minds. It's about the same amount of time Wikia usually asks to evaluate copyright issues. If it's still not down and/or this concern has not been addressed in some manner, I will inquire with Drew what their decision is, and if they have not taken any action at all by that time, I will inform you so you can take whatever action you feel is appropriate.

I guess in that case it'll be back to Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, since they already have the records etc. from the case I was starting to set in motion over TVT's copyright isuees.

I went through my list of contributions -- that seems to be the only page of mine circa June that got copied over. Other folks might want to doublecheck for themselves, though -- particularly in http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/el.php?findfor=Mandolin]Mandolin's contribution history. After all, if he copied over one ATT page, he's likely to have copied others.

Oh, and Geth -- I'm setting up to try my hand at bot-writing to take care of a few things I'd been doing manually as I came across instances. Before I launch anything, though, do you have any advice, instructions, warnings, etc.?

Thanks.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I guess in that case it'll be back to Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, since they already have the records etc. from the case I was starting to set in motion over TVT's copyright isuees.

I went through my list of contributions -- that seems to be the only page of mine circa June that got copied over. Other folks might want to doublecheck for themselves, though -- particularly in http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/el.php?findfor=Mandolin. After all, if he copied over one ATT page, he's likely to have copied others.

Oh, and Geth -- I'm setting up to try my hand at bot-writing to take care of a few things I'd been doing manually as I came across instances. Before I launch anything, though, do you have any advice, instructions, warnings, etc.?

Thanks.

I recommend using the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:AutoWikiBrowser

It's free, will do most of what you ask, is highly configurable for almost all jobs I can name (though pywikipediabot and the Perl MW bot are better for a few more esoteric tasks), and all it requires is a MW account (like your own or an account set up strictly for bot work) to act through to do a lot of edits without need for manual labor.

As for TVT, I hope it doesn't come to that, but if they drag their heels and don't address this in a timely manner, then I wish you luck, but I'd wait for a response until next Friday at least.

Wait, Fast Eddie is no longer running TVT? What happened?

Black Aeronaut Wrote:Wait, Fast Eddie is no longer running TVT? What happened?

Towards the end of 2014, Fast Eddie sold off TV Tropes to a guy named Drew Schoentrup, who has met at least one ATT founder in person (Brent Laabs).

Unlike Fast Eddie, he's more willing to speak with us, but our relationship with TV Tropes is, at best, cordial but little more, which is a still a vast improvement over how Fast Eddie did his best to unperson us entirely.

In more general news, we now have the Visual Editor as well as the regular editor. Frankly, I think VE sucks, but for those who want to try it, click 'Edit". "Edit source" is the standard editor.

If you guys ever want me to remove VE, let me know. If you guys like it, whatever. If you guys want to make it "opt-in" (selectable as a beta feature instead of default enabled), let me know.

We'll be getting back most of our other extensions and features soon, and I've been informed we could possiby get SocialProfile minus Orain's fail at getting it working, something I plan to hold off even considerign until everything else is working right.

I recommend using the following:
%[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:AutoWikiBrowser]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:AutoWikiBrowser]

It's free, will do most of what you ask, is highly configurable for almost all jobs I can name (though pywikipediabot and the Perl MW bot are better for a few more esoteric tasks), and all it requires is a MW account (like your own or an account set up strictly for bot work) to act through to do a lot of edits without need for manual labor.
Okay, thanks, I'll look into that.  I'd already started coding my first bot in C# using http://dotnetwikibot.sourceforge.net/]DotNetWikiBot, which seems quite straightforward. 
-- Bob
---------

So I'm testing my bot code for the first time when suddenly Miraheze starts throwing 502 bad gateway errors. And I just have to ask... did I break the wiki?
-- Bob
---------

Oh, I hope not - the freebie wiki and Miraheze Meta are also presenting 502s.
--
Rob Kelk

Bob Schroeck Wrote:So I'm testing my bot code for the first time when suddenly Miraheze starts throwing 502 bad gateway errors. And I just have to ask... did I break the wiki?

You're fine. 502 just means there is a really high load on the servers right now.

Either some retard is trying ANOTHER DDoS (which will only be annoying for Miraheze, not fatal), or their servers are gagging, which is more likely, since they've been importing LOTS of stuff besides us recently.

We're doing fine again.

Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:
Wait, Fast Eddie is no longer running TVT? What happened?
Towards the end of 2014, Fast Eddie sold off TV Tropes to a guy named Drew Schoentrup, who has met at least one ATT founder in person (Brent Laabs).

Unlike Fast Eddie, he's more willing to speak with us, but our relationship with TV Tropes is, at best, cordial but little more, which is a still a vast improvement over how Fast Eddie did his best to unperson us entirely.
rrrgghh...  That worries me.  Looking at Drew's credentials, I can tell that this guy is a suit - full stop.  I don't think that means good things for TVT, because this guy's end goal is to monetize shit.  And somehow this rubs me wrong even worse than Fast Eddie's Stalinism.

There's a thread about the Orain snafu at the SJGames forums: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=137595

If anyone wants to copy my reply (post #5) elsewhere, feel free to do so. I'd appreciate attribution if you don't change the first-person pronouns.
--
Rob Kelk

I'm working on getting the rest of our images up soon, turn out a few got garbled in translation. I also plan to patch any holes we might have with remaining features.

NOTE TO ADMINS: If you see references to Orain, change them to Miraheze where appropriate plz.

The Trope Workshop still looks screwy.

Pronounced "shy guy."