Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part VI

I've been looking for a way to look at users' IP addresses, to see if it's all been the same person logging in from the same point, but if it's there, it's eluded me rather thoroughly. Can we check the IPs for Sky Knight Subaki, Stolen5xxx and Takari Shipper, just to see?

And I'm sorry I haven't noticed their other misbehavior. I stay out of the Complete Monster threads on general principle, but I guess I should change that policy now.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I'm halfway considering semi-protecting the Complete Monster pages so that only autoconfirmed users can edit them.

Pro: It would eliminate the "create an account (maybe a sockpuppet) and change the Complete Monster examples right away" problems we've been having.

Con: It might spread the vandalism to other pages that are currently off the radar..
Con: If somebody's determined, it would only slow them down, not stop them.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Oh, and the next time we ban one of these suspected sockpuppets, perhaps we should also ban the IP address. Just a thought.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I want to do that -- the IP ban, I mean -- but I can't find the option any more! I remember it was there when we were on Orain, but now I don't see it no matter where I search.
Edit:  And I don't think that restricting the Complete Monster pages will send vandalism elsewhere.  There seems to be some kind of obsession about Complete Monsterism among a certain portion of the troping community and I don't think they'd spill over into vandalizing unrelated pages if their instant gratification were denied.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I've been looking for a way to look at users' IP addresses, to see if it's all been the same person logging in from the same point, but if it's there, it's eluded me rather thoroughly. Can we check the IPs for Sky Knight Subaki, Stolen5xxx and Takari Shipper, just to see?
We can't, but the Stewards can - make the request on the stewards' board on Meta. (You private-sector employees can do things that I must not.)

Sample text:
Quote:Please run CheckUser on these accounts:
* Star Knight Subaki
* Stolen5487
* Takari Shipper

If any two or all three share an IP address, please ban that IP address from All The Tropes.
--
Rob Kelk

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I want to do that -- the IP ban, I mean -- but I can't find the option any more! I remember it was there when we were on Orain, but now I don't see it no matter where I search.

Edit:  And I don't think that restricting the Complete Monster pages will send vandalism elsewhere.  There seems to be some kind of obsession about Complete Monsterism among a certain portion of the troping community and I don't think they'd spill over into vandalizing unrelated pages if their instant gratification were denied.
The IP ban is easy. Block an IP the same way you would a user account.

Special:Block/(insert IP here)

As for the CM autism (I'm autistic myself, FYI), I can explain.

Wikia has the Villains wiki, where a bunch of people in the troping community go to basically obsess over who is CM worthy, and since they are a spinoff of the troping community and use a lot of their lingo, they often return to their parent and cross pollinate, and soem were banished from TV Tropes for one reason or another, some weren't, but as for the ones that were, it was usually for getting into incessant edit wars.

Unfortunately, it's unavoidable, and while we've gotten some good editors out of this (like DocColress), we get some spergs (a contraction of Aspergers, commonly used as an internet pejorative) who seem to think, much to my chagrin, we'll let them get away with that crap since we have slightly less restrictions than TV Tropes.

Unfortunately for them, both we and TV Tropes don't tolerate wheel war nonsense, so we're basically getting some spilloff that TV Tropes rejected, and the only solution is to ban them until they get the point.

P.S. - I've discovered a weird sympathy for Fighteer on this subject, since he had to deal with some of the same imbeciles we're now dealing with, over the exact same idiocy.

Rob, thanks. As it turns out, it looks like John from Miraheze has nailed a couple accounts based on CheckUser already.

Geth, how do I find out the IP in the first place to use it thusly?
-- Bob
---------

Looks like we had another sockpuppet - John blocked "AustinDR" on CheckUser evidence. I've undone the damage (s)he did.
EDIT: Ninja'ed!
--
Rob Kelk

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Rob, thanks. As it turns out, it looks like John from Miraheze has nailed a couple accounts based on CheckUser already.

Geth, how do I find out the IP in the first place to use it thusly?
Look for an IP address in Recent changes or a page's history, right click it to go to it's contributions, block option should be present for it.

I think you're talking about two different things...

Bob, on the screen where you set the block settings for a user, you should see a checkbox option "Automatically block the last IP address used by this user, and any subsequent IP addresses they try to edit from" - it was the fourth one on the list when I went in to block myself as a test. (I aborted that block.) Check that and you'll block the IP at the same time that you block the user.
--
Rob Kelk

Ah, okay, thanks!
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I want to do that -- the IP ban, I mean -- but I can't find the option any more! I remember it was there when we were on Orain, but now I don't see it no matter where I search.

Okay, I think I've semi-protected all of the Complete Monster pages now.

(Wow, there's a lot of Just a Face and a Caption images on those pages...)
--
Rob Kelk

GethN7 Wrote:wheel war

Erm, If you don't mind, can you tell me what that is and why it's called that? I'm quite curious.

GethN7 Wrote:P.S. - I've discovered a weird sympathy for Fighteer on this subject, since he had to deal with some of the same imbeciles we're now dealing with, over the exact same idiocy.

Well, sometimes you have to experience firsthand what someone else went though in order to understand why they might turn out the way they have. It seems that that is the case here.

Tennie Wrote:
GethN7 Wrote:wheel war

Erm, If you don't mind, can you tell me what that is and why it's called that? I'm quite curious.
GethN7 Wrote:P.S. - I've discovered a weird sympathy for Fighteer on this subject, since he had to deal with some of the same imbeciles we're now dealing with, over the exact same idiocy.

Well, sometimes you have to experience firsthand what someone else went though in order to understand why they might turn out the way they have. It seems that that is the case here.
A wheel war is where some people keep reverting edits, and others keep fighting them, much like spinning a wheel one direction, then the other, ad infinitum.

I think I see the fingerprints of a serial ban evader again -- someone with the handle "Empty Superior" just repeated the Transsexualism->Transsexual move as his second edit little more than 24 hours after signing up. And he's back to his Complete Monster wonkery, too.

I am undoing the move and protecting the page, and ready to ban this guy, but I'm going to have a checkuser done on him first.
-- Bob
---------

Bob, if you unlock additional options on the Protect page, you have to set them all. I've just set delete=autoconfirmed on Transsexualism - the one that you missed.

And now for something completely different: Subpages. I've started some lists of subpages for media types - am I barking up the wrong tree here? Am I even in the forest?

Data-dump begins, and continues to the end of the post:

== Video Game subpages ==

[[Video Games] has its own list of subtypes:

== 4X ==
== Action Adventure ==
== Action Game ==
== Adventure Game ==
== Beat'Em Up ==
== Casual Video Game ==
== Driving Game ==
== Edutainment Game ==
== Exergaming ==
== Fighting Game ==
== First-Person Shooter ==
== Hack and Slash ==
== Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game ==
== Mecha Game ==
== Party Game ==
== Platform Game ==
== Puzzle Game ==
== Racing Game ==
== Real Time Strategy ==
== Rhythm Game ==
== Roguelike ==
== Role-Playing Game ==
== Shoot'Em Up ==
== Simulation Game ==
== Sports Game ==
== Stealth Based Game ==
== Strategy Game ==
== Survival Horror ==
== Third-Person Shooter ==
== Tower Defense ==
== Turn Based Tactics ==
== Turn-Based Strategy ==
== Wide Open Sandbox ==
== Miscellaneous Games ==
== Non-Video Game Examples ==

== Music subpages ==

[[Music] has its own list of subtypes ... which we're still building. (Raid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Music_genres for suggestions.)

First, the list of Western (derived from European societies, not necessarily "Country and Western") styles, in rough order of age:
* Ancient Music
* Marches
* Classical
* Folk
* Country
* Bluegrass
* Big Band
* Jazz
* Rhythm and Blues (R&B)
* Gospel
* Rock'n'Roll
* Rock
* Disco
* Metal
* Punk
* Hip-Hop
* Rap
* Electronica

Then there are the non-Western styles... and it would be nice to know what they are.

* Jamaican styles:
** Ska
** Rocksteady
** Reggae

* Jewish styles:
** Klezmer
** Mizrahi
** Sephardic music

And then there's the specialties that cut across styles:
* Commercial / Political (anything designed to sell you something or someone, not just jingles)
* Educational music
* Filk
* Eclecticism / Fusion
* Patriotic
* Jewish / Christian / Muslim / other Religious
* World music
--
Rob Kelk

It's not really a wheel war, as that implies use of privileges.
The Jargon File Wrote:wheel wars: n. [Stanford University] A period in
larval stage during which student hackers hassle each other by
attempting to log each other out of the system, delete each other's files,
and otherwise wreak havoc, usually at the expense of the lesser
users.
In particular, this refers to conflicts between members of the wheel group (who are generally sudoers or have some sort of administrative privileges).   The definition is a bit too specific, I'd say it was: "Repeated (mis)use of administrative privileges to block or reverse actions of other administrators of a computing resource, frequently initiated for the purpose of harassment, bragging, or protest."Wheel wars on wikis are really only common on the bigger ones like English Wikipedia and German Wikipedia, where sysops and 'crats have used admin privileges to undo software developer and office actions, especially related to VisualEditor and MediaViewer.  Or reverting each other's actions for no reason, etc.  I don't think we've had any wheel wars on ATT.
-- ∇×V

vorticity Wrote:It's not really a wheel war, as that implies use of privileges.
users.
In particular, this refers to conflicts between members of the wheel group (who are generally sudoers or have some sort of administrative privileges).   The definition is a bit too specific, I'd say it was: "Repeated (mis)use of administrative privileges to block or reverse actions of other administrators of a computing resource, frequently initiated for the purpose of harassment, bragging, or protest."
Wheel wars on wikis are really only common on the bigger ones like English Wikipedia and German Wikipedia, where sysops and 'crats have used admin privileges to undo software developer and office actions, especially related to VisualEditor and MediaViewer.  Or reverting each other's actions for no reason, etc.  I don't think we've had any wheel wars on ATT.

So in this case, then, a better term might be "edit war" or something along those lines, right?

...And John from Miraheze just banned Empty Stolen Sky Shipper's IP address. Hopefully that will minimize problems from that twit for a while.
-- Bob
---------

vorticity Wrote:It's not really a wheel war, as that implies use of privileges.
users.
In particular, this refers to conflicts between members of the wheel group (who are generally sudoers or have some sort of administrative privileges).   The definition is a bit too specific, I'd say it was: "Repeated (mis)use of administrative privileges to block or reverse actions of other administrators of a computing resource, frequently initiated for the purpose of harassment, bragging, or protest."
Wheel wars on wikis are really only common on the bigger ones like English Wikipedia and German Wikipedia, where sysops and 'crats have used admin privileges to undo software developer and office actions, especially related to VisualEditor and MediaViewer.  Or reverting each other's actions for no reason, etc.  I don't think we've had any wheel wars on ATT.
Yeah, I got that wrong, thanks for correcting me.

Also, already filed a Phabricator report, but giving you another notice here, Flow is BROKE. People cannot create or reply to new threads at all, this needs fixed yesterday.

I too learned the true meaning of wheel wars when another hacker corrected me.  This is how knowledge of the craft is passed.
GethN7 Wrote:Also, already filed a Phabricator report, but giving you another notice
here, Flow is BROKE. People cannot create or reply to new threads at
all, this needs fixed yesterday.
Good news, it was fixed yesterday!
-- ∇×V

Yay!
-- Bob
---------

Just noticed this paragraph on the "List of Works That Need Summary" pages:
Quote:Also take note, try to include a work in its media of initial incarnation. For example, instead of placing The Movie of the Book in the movie category place the work under the Literature section. Another example being Anime, if it was a Manga first place it under Manga. The notable exception to this rule is either when a work's derivative incarnation is more widely known than the original (in which case please leave a note mentioning such), or when a page exists for the original version but not the adaptation (in which case a note should also be made so that the creator can either add a section to the pre-existing page or decide to create a new one).
Is that our policy, or should I change that to ask for listings on all applicable pages?

EDIT: Here's the replacement that I would use:
Quote:Sometimes a work has versions in more than one medium (for example, ''[[The Tick]'' has [[The Tick (comic)|comic book], [[The Tick (animation)|animation], and [[The Tick (television)|live-action] versions). If your example is like this, please list it under all the appropriate media, with the media type in brackets after the name (for example, [[The Tick (comic)], [[The Tick (animation)], and [[The Tick (television)]).
--
Rob Kelk

I personally prefer the latter, being the fellow who broke out the Tick like that.  The only thing I would add to your suggested passage is to make a disambiguation page for the media-less title (as The Tick has)
-- Bob
---------

Done.
--
Rob Kelk

A chronic troublemaker I banned from Wikia for came over to Miraheze to start crap called "Grand Master Mario" did a bit of vandalism, which I mostly reverted (Miraheze's spam filter did some minor damage to your user page LT, contact Miraheze about getting sytes,net restored on your page), and the vandal was banned, and they made it very clear they were the same overgrown manchild who is mad at me personally for not letting them have their way.

They were given plenty of chances on Wikia, blew them all, then did exactly what they were told not to on Miraheze, which DocColress (with my blessing) banned them for.

I suspect were are dealing with an overgrown manchild with a learning disability and/or autism (poor grammar, obsession with doing things a certain way, refusal to accept what they don't like, etc.), and I'll make sure they don't show back up on Wikia. As for Miraheze, they were behind the rash of sockpuppet accounts we had to have IP banned (confirmed by edits on DocColress talk page admitting as much), and we may have to keep dropping hammers until this vandal is nailed down permanently.

In other news, Flow broke our review subpage creation due to how Flow works, so I had a new namespace for reviews created with Flow enabled by default, minus the voting part (which is incompatible), though the voting extension is still enabled for archival purposes with the older LQT archives and in the event it's patched to work with Flow. We have yet to fix the templates to redirect properly, so please refrain until they are fixed, have asked Vorticity to work on this.