Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part VI

Thanks for the heads-up, Geth.
Edit:  And it turns out John from Miraheze fixed the link literally five minutes after you posted that, Geth, less than twenty minutes after the revert.  Very cool.  John has been publicly thanked.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Housekeeping: I spent this evening making a dent in Special:Wanted Categories.

If the category is used on more than one page and it's still on that list, then either it only has subpages listed (no basepage), it's a category for a troperbox, or it's a category for templates - none of which I feel comfortable doing anything with at the moment..
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Say, Geth... why the massive purges from the fanfic recs pages? It looks like you're deleting anything specifically attributable to a TVT troper who didn't sign on with us -- rights issues?
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Say, Geth... why the massive purges from the fanfic recs pages? It looks like you're deleting anything specifically attributable to a TVT troper who didn't sign on with us -- rights issues?
Half a technical cleanup, half a policy reason cleanup.

The technical side is that we have a TON of red links from tropers who don't exist, which makes using Special;WantedPages very tedious. Second, the less red link to nonexistent crap, the faster dynamic pages like most of the special pages do their thing, meaning faster page load times.

The other half is for policy reasons. Some removed material was self promotional crap, like an author wrote a story then blatantly shilled for it on the Fanfic Recs page. Both TV Tropes and ourselves have a policy against such naked, shameless whoring of one's own work. I'm also removing stories that are dead, had poor explanations (someone dropped a link and left no context for the recommedation), were drama magnets (massive wars broke out over whether it was worthy of being on the page), lead to dangerous/potentially illegal sites, and stripping a lot of Thread mode nonsense, as most of it is review stuff that either belongs on the site where the story is for review or our own Reviews subpages (Vorticity still needs 2 fix this).

I'm trying to be careful as I do this, but if I screw anything up, feel free to revert and fix it.

Oh, even if I were reading every one of those pages, I wouldn't have clue one about most of them. I just poked my nose in on a few that caught my eye (and a good thing I did, I discovered stuff like the "Alice" multiwork gordian knot that needed teasing apart).

Anyway, just curious, not criticizing.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Oh, even if I were reading every one of those pages, I wouldn't have clue one about most of them. I just poked my nose in on a few that caught my eye (and a good thing I did, I discovered stuff like the "Alice" multiwork gordian knot that needed teasing apart).

Anyway, just curious, not criticizing.
Glad you did. I had thought I should have made an annoucement soon after I started, glad I got a chance to clear the air.

I'm also trying to pay more attention to ATT in general, feel I've been a bit absentee of late.

Alright, making a post for anyone who wants to do redirect cleanup.

Some of our pages with tons of subpages smack headfirst into a page recursion peculiarity of MediaWiki, specifically how our template for subpages works. For instance:

Harry_Potter/Epilogue/Headscratchers is the correct page, but Harry Potter/Epilogue is expected to go before it. Since it doesn't exist, it begs for a link that isn't there but it expects by MediaWiki's page recursion rules.

The solution is more a hackjob but it works: redirect the phantom link to the real one. The real one will show up right next to the redirected one in the template, but it cleans up the wanted pages of phantom links, which is an ugly fix, but regrettably necessary. That, or create a proper page with links to further subpages if need be.

I never thought I'd ask this...

Concerning this page: http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Steven_Universe

Considering it has a very large number of tropes listed, all but two of which have names that start with A or B, would it be fair to tag it with both "Needs More Tropes" and "Trope Overdosed"?
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:I never thought I'd ask this...

Concerning this page: http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Steven_Universe

Considering it has a very large number of tropes listed, all but two of which have names that start with A or B, would it be fair to tag it with both "Needs More Tropes" and "Trope Overdosed"?
That's a very good question. I'm inclined to say yes to both given how much the page seems to need more tropes yet already uses some tropes that are in heavy use elsewhere.

Done. (Except that it's Overdosed Tropes, not Trope Overdosed - we really should rename one of those to make it clear whether it's a trope or a work that's overdosed with entries.) I also did a bit of work on distinguishing between Needs More Tropes and Works Needing Tropes.
--
Rob Kelk

Something odd just happened with the wiki. The top of each page now shows "[]" and every subheader has "" instead of the "hide" link.
-- Bob
---------

It looks like a change or update of some sort is working through the system. I'm seeing "[]" at the top of pages and "" instead of the "hide" link.

EDIT: Appears to be fixed now.
--
Rob Kelk

This is only tangentially ATT-related, but somebody here should have the answers to my questions...

I've been asked to implement a new-page boilerplate system on the freebie wiki. The one that ATT has looks to be stable and useful, but I have no idea how to install or maintain it.
  1. What do I need to ask the stewards to install?
  2. What do I need to do myself, and what rights do I need to ask the stewards to give me on the freebie wiki?
  3. How do I need to format the boilerplates?
  4. How and where do I need to store the boilerplates?
  5. How difficult is it to add a new boilerplate? I have three in mind to begin with, but no doubt I'll be asked to make more.
  6. Can making new boilerplates be restricted to confirmed users (or admins, if "confirmed users" turns out to be too open)?
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:This is only tangentially ATT-related, but somebody here should have the answers to my questions...

I've been asked to implement a new-page boilerplate system on the freebie wiki. The one that ATT has looks to be stable and useful, but I have no idea how to install or maintain it.
  1. What do I need to ask the stewards to install?
  2. What do I need to do myself, and what rights do I need to ask the stewards to give me on the freebie wiki?
  3. How do I need to format the boilerplates?
  4. How and where do I need to store the boilerplates?
  5. How difficult is it to add a new boilerplate? I have three in mind to begin with, but no doubt I'll be asked to make more.
  6. Can making new boilerplates be restricted to confirmed users (or admins, if "confirmed users" turns out to be too open)?
Refer to this page for the answers:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... oilerplate

Thanks.
--
Rob Kelk

Posting to let you all know I'm considering some new wiki extensions:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Skin:Metrolook

This is a skin already in use on a lot of other wikis, and considering making it the default successor to the current Vector skin. It's largely based on Vector, so it has high compatibility with all existing site code. Further it expands the amount of readable screen room by grouping all the user links in a handy userbar with drop down links. It also provides a constant auto-scrolling sidebar which should eliminate a need for scrolling back up to use it, and comes with built in mobile support.

Here's a wiki that uses it (colors and many other options of the skin are easily configurable, this is just so everyone can get a good idea how the skin works:

http://www.pidgi.net/wiki/Main_Page

And an extension version of the Autocomplete gadget:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LinkSuggest

It can be turned off and on easier, and will speed up page load time somewhat.

Mm. I like the general look of Metrolook.
-- Bob
---------

As do I - enough to want it for the freebie wiki as well, but not until after ATT has stress-tested it.
--
Rob Kelk

Images seem to have disappeared ... (goes and checks) ... on both ATT and the freebie wiki.

EDIT: And I still can't find the "Report an Error" page on Meta. RE-EDIT: Left a note about the poserdazfreebies files on the Stewards' noticeboard.
--
Rob Kelk

Images disappearing was the compromise we made, because the static server went down due to RamNode problems.  Essentially we* had to disable all images because everything was dying in a fire without the NFS mount.  If the first question that comes to mind is "why are you using NFS for this?", please join us in #miraheze where you can help implement a replacement.
* they
-- ∇×V

My skills are in storage, not system configuration - I wouldn't be of much help.

And I just put a sitenotice on the freebie wiki, asking people to not be alarmed and to not try to upload more images until we get back the ones we had - that should help the damage control and recovery a bit.
--
Rob Kelk

Alright, unless anyone has objections, I'm putting in some feature requests.

Also, have extensively tested the crap out of Metrolook, it's pretty plug and play, but I advise reading it's MW.org page carefully if you intend to customize it. (feel free to steal and modify our site code Rob)

Does anyone here know who the anonymous contributor at 2601:246:4603:4379:34b6:699b:e06b:84e2 might be? They just replaced the "no real life examples" warning on http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Ethical_Slut]Ethical Slut with a real life section and a statement of policy which makes it sound like we mods have made it. Before I revert it -- for basically pretending to be a mod, not because it's a bad edit -- I wanted to make sure that whoever they are isn't actually a mod making a change while not logged in.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Does anyone here know who the anonymous contributor at 2601:246:4603:4379:34b6:699b:e06b:84e2 might be? They just replaced the "no real life examples" warning on http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Ethical_Slut with a real life section and a statement of policy which makes it sound like we mods have made it. Before I revert it -- for basically pretending to be a mod, not because it's a bad edit -- I wanted to make sure that whoever they are isn't actually a mod making a change while not logged in.

No mod to my knowledge has ever made an edit of that nature or uses that IP. I'll be reverting that bullshit and blocking that asshole for awhile.

Forgive my anger, but that sort of BS infuriaties me like you wouldn't believe.

For the record: If I edit the wiki, it's while I'm logged in. That was not me. (Although anyone who knows my writing style would already know that was not me.)
--
Rob Kelk