Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part VI

It's been a month since Bob tagged some pages with the speedy-delete tag, so...
  • I found the site for "Nametags", added that link and a bit more description to the work page, and removed the "speedy deletion" tag.
  • I found Absurd.org in the Wayback Machine and updated the link, but did not remove the "speedy deletion" tag.
  • I deleted "Lamentable Nights" and "Legendary".
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Okay, cool.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I see that Nerdanel has requested three sub-pages under Black Butler be deleted because they have no data ... after removing the data from them. I don't see where the data was moved to.

I've asked on Nerdanel's Talk page where the information went. Depending on the answer, I'll either revert the pages that were blanked or remove them.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:I see that Nerdanel has requested three sub-pages under Black Butler be deleted because they have no data ... after removing the data from them. I don't see where the data was moved to.

I've asked on Nerdanel's Talk page where the information went. Depending on the answer, I'll either revert the pages that were blanked or remove them.
I got an answer I'm happy with - he's separating multiple works onto multiple pages, and using the Japanese name for the series as a whole. (We can do redirects from the English name later if they don't already exist.)

Now for something completely different. I think somebody somewhere along the line didn't think things through when making a bot search-and-replace. Quoting from the first line in http://allthetropes.miraheze.org/wiki/ ... omic_Books :
Quote:Arguably the fate of Steve Rogers, the original Captain America (comics), who, over the course of the ...

As a programmer, I make a decent documenter, so I'm not up to writing a bot - and this case is one that will need human intervention anyway. Could somebody else make a bot run to find all instances of "[[Captain America (comics)]" so we can decide which need to be changed to "[[Captain America (comics)|Captain America]"?

No rush.
--
Rob Kelk

Yeah, that's been around for a long time now, Rob. I keep meaning to do something about it. Right now my bot is down for rewriting, but I've just added a method to do exactly that so that when I start running it again, it'll apply that change everywhere it needs to.
-- Bob
---------

Thanks.

Another one: there are dozens if not hundreds of links that read "[[My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic|My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic]" - linking to the properly-punctuated title but showing a string with no punctuation at all. That had to have been done on purpose... but why?
--
Rob Kelk

I believe that that -- like the Captain America issue -- is an artifact of the earliest conversion work long ago, when Brent add ed proper punctuation to page names. Whatever bot did the updates to links to to the changed pages seems to have been very conservative about it, and kept the original link text. There are other works that have the same problem.

Tell you what, I'll add a method to my bot to fix the MLP links at least. We'll have to note any others as we come across them, and I can add methods for them, too.
-- Bob
---------

Another one to add to the list...

According to http://xkcd.com/about/ :
Quote:The preferred form is "xkcd", all lower-case. In formal contexts where a lowercase word shouldn't start a sentence, "XKCD" is an okay alternative. "Xkcd" is frowned upon.

Thus, we have to fix all of our occurrences of "[[Xkcd]".
--
Rob Kelk

I just got an email from a spy at TVT. Apparently there is an effort in motion to completely redesign their entire codebase and site organization. If anyone's interested, see http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?di ... 0A97600200]here.
-- Bob
---------

Not sure if this is the correct spot, but figured it wouldn't hurt.
I'm running into a lot of missing images when browsing All The Tropes.  Is this a known thing?  If not (or even if so), is there a quick way for me to report or flag that entry for y'all?

By "a lot" I mean "more often than not", but obviously that's for the set that I've looked at.  I have no idea if that's indicative of all entries or if I just have beta tester's luck Smile

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I just got an email from a spy at TVT. Apparently there is an effort in motion to completely redesign their entire codebase and site organization. If anyone's interested, see http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?di ... 0A97600200.
Hmph, I wish them luck.

In all seriousness, I doubt what they want is possible without pretty much writing their own engine.

Also, either MediaWiki or Semantic MediaWiki have already done all the things they want to do for years now.

The problem they have is that they are based on an extremely early build of PmWiki, which is patently crap. Even Patrick McChaud himself admitted it wasn't his finest creation.

Even worse, they are currently married to a badly lashed together hybrid of flat files (all pages served as text) and relational database (information is saved as strings inside a tabulated structure), which, while supported in PmWiki, it was written with flat files in mind and never for a wiki the size of TV Tropes.

In short, they would have to replace every single part of the wiki engine they are using down to the URL structure to the point they were no longer using any aspect of PmWiki to achieve any meaningful progress.

Sofaspud Wrote:Not sure if this is the correct spot, but figured it wouldn't hurt.

I'm running into a lot of missing images when browsing All The Tropes. Is this a known thing? If not (or even if so), is there a quick way for me to report or flag that entry for y'all?

By "a lot" I mean "more often than not", but obviously that's for the set that I've looked at. I have no idea if that's indicative of all entries or if I just have beta tester's luck [Image: banana-dance.gif]
It's a known thing. Those images weren't backed up before Orain was hacked.

I think we're at the point where we should be looking for replacement images instead of trying to find the old images in Google/Yahoo/WaybackMachine/etc. archives - so if you've got one, feel free to upload it! (IANAL, but I think ATT is big enough to fall under the "reference" exemption of copyright; especially considering we're making an honest effort to make ATT a reference work with the "Useful Notes" and "Source" pages. If not, some lawyer will be sure to let us know...)

EDIT: As for your luck in hitting these pages, well... there are http://allthetropes.miraheze.org/wiki/ ... file_links on ATT, but there are http://allthetropes.miraheze.org/wiki/ ... Statistics.
--
Rob Kelk

Bob Schroeck Wrote:...
Tell you what, I'll add a method to my bot to fix the MLP links at least. We'll have to note any others as we come across them, and I can add methods for them, too.
More strings that need "fix" methods, in the order that I've come across them in the last few days:

[[8-Bit Theater|Eight Bit Theater]
[[1776|Seventeen Seventy Six]
[[Captain America: The First Avenger|Captain America the First Avenger]
[[Star Trek: Insurrection|Star Trek Insurrection]
[[Guess Who's Coming to Dinner|Guess Whos Coming to Dinner]
[[40 Days and 40 Nights|Forty Days and Forty Nights]
[[Star Trek: The Next Generation|Star Trek the Next Generation]
[[He-Man and the Masters of the Universe|He Man and The Masters of The Universe]
--
Rob Kelk

I'll add'em.
-- Bob
---------
All The Tropes is moving!
Well, we're moving URLs.  Around Christmas or Boxing Day, we'll be switching over from http://allthetropes.miraheze.org to http://allthetropes.org/ .  Less typing for everyone.  Old links should redirect fine to the new URLs, so you won't have to worry too much about updating them.  If you go to the new site, you can see that SSL has been set up properly -- we just haven't moved over the wiki there yet.
In other wiki news, John Lewis, the founder of Miraheze, is on medical leave after a heart attack.  We wish him a speedy recovery, but we've been told he'll be gone for at least the next 3 months.  Southparkfan is now the technical lead of the project, and apparently I am now the financial lead.  So quite a lot has happened.  On the financial front, we're doing well enough, with an initial donation from me, and about $250 credit in the RamNode account -- that will keep us operating at the current level for nearly 2 years.  If you do feel like donating (not tax-deductible), we've opened donate@miraheze.org on Paypal.
In even more news, we just upgraded the db server, doubling the memory.  This should improve our response times on complex queries, and ensure we're not running out of resources on some pages -- especially the Special pages.  We'll probably do some other upgrades soon and replace the DNS server we lost in the transition from John.  And we're still working on a long-term backup solution.  But I'm glad to say that Miraheze and ATT will be stable for the next year and into the future.
-- ∇×V
-- ∇×V

That is very good news indeed, Brent.
-- Bob
---------

About ten minutes ago Miraheze -- all of it, as best as I can tell -- went down.
-- Bob
---------

It's up now. Don't know how long it's been back.
--
Rob Kelk

Yeah, one of our sysadmins messed up deployment.  It was down for ~20 minutes.
Our next theoretical downtime window this week is in deploying Mediawiki 1.26, which I hear is a bit faster.  We'll see if it does.   Last I heard, we were waiting to make sure an extension was compatible.
-- ∇×V

Just updated the ATT link at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Sites_us ... aWiki/en#A to point to Miraheze instead of Orain. Once we get the custom URL working, that should be updated again...
EDIT: Done.
--
Rob Kelk

We had about 20 minutes of downtime because someone's bot crashed mw1 with too many requests -- not one of ours -- and we weren't keeping track of when PHP had crashed. So now we're doing that. We also updated to MediaWiki 1.26. There are still issues with Flow after the upgrade, but since we're still using Liquid Threads, nothing affecting ATT.

But the good news is that we've now tripled the memory on the database server, and it seems much more stable. This should mean less of the database connection errors for you all. At 1 GiB RAM: run out of memory every 2-3 hours and restart mariadb. At 2 GiB: out of memory every 30-40 hours. At 3 GiB: only use about 2.6 GiB and no restarts yet.

We've selected a service with a good deal of storage for a backup server, rather than go with something like Amazon S3 or Backblaze B2, a real server will let us do more stuff with it. And then we just need to set up the service to do regular backups. I think we might end up selecting the New Jersey site for this, which I guess means that if something goes wrong, Bob's on call Smile
-- ∇×V

<phhhhbbbbbbbt>
-- Bob
---------

vorticity Wrote:We had about 20 minutes of downtime because someone's bot crashed mw1 with too many requests -- not one of ours -- and we weren't keeping track of when PHP had crashed. So now we're doing that. We also updated to MediaWiki 1.26. There are still issues with Flow after the upgrade, but since we're still using Liquid Threads, nothing affecting ATT.
Except that (at least at my end, running Firefox 43) Hotcat isn't working any more on ATT or the freebie wiki.

vorticity Wrote:But the good news is that we've now tripled the memory on the database server, and it seems much more stable. This should mean less of the database connection errors for you all. At 1 GiB RAM: run out of memory every 2-3 hours and restart mariadb. At 2 GiB: out of memory every 30-40 hours. At 3 GiB: only use about 2.6 GiB and no restarts yet.

We've selected a service with a good deal of storage for a backup server, rather than go with something like Amazon S3 or Backblaze B2, a real server will let us do more stuff with it. And then we just need to set up the service to do regular backups. I think we might end up selecting the New Jersey site for this, which I guess means that if something goes wrong, Bob's on call Smile
Good news, although I suspect that's making a bit of a dent in Miraheze's finances. Where was that page with the donation instructions, again?

But you get time-and-a-half for being on call! Don't you want 50% more than the $0/h you're getting now as an ATT admin?
--
Rob Kelk

I'd rather have Hotcat working again -- it's gone for me, too. Probably for the same reason -- Seamonkey is basically Firefox+Thunderbird+Chatzilla+other stuff.
-- Bob
---------

...And the "502 bad gateway" errors are back.
-- Bob
---------