Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part VI

Bob Schroeck Wrote:...And the "502 bad gateway" errors are back.
Seems to be over now.

Also, SPF fixed HotCat.

Yes, I saw that! HotCat is too useful -- I'm glad it's back.

You know what still doesn't work for me? The in-place pop-up of footnotes. Anyone else have that?

And of course, it'll be great the day we get the video plugin(s) back.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:You know what still doesn't work for me? The in-place pop-up of footnotes. Anyone else have that?
I haven't seen that for a while, now...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:You know what still doesn't work for me? The in-place pop-up of footnotes. Anyone else have that?
I haven't seen that for a while, now...

The video plugins should be fixable via SPF installing them, believe they were removed awhile back due to security issues in the then MW build.

As for the footnote popups, ask SPF if there is updated .js like for Hotcat to fix that.

Hmmmmm...

One of the images we lost in the Orain hack was http://allthetropes.org/wiki/File:Unshelved1.gif]this one, for the %[link=http://www.unshelved.com/]Unshelved] web comic. %[link=http://www.unshelved.com/about/reuse]This page] says we can display the current day's strip without further permission. Is there a way for us to take them up on the offer? (As far as I know, there's no way out-of-the-box for a MediaWiki wiki to display an image hosted off-wiki. Do we have a plug-in that would enable this?) And do we want to take them up on the offer?
--
Rob Kelk

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I'll add'em.
More strings that need "fix" methods, in the order that I've come across them in the last few weeks:

[[Buck Godot: Zap Gun for Hire|Buck Godot Zap Gun for Hire]
[[30 Rock|Thirty Rock]
[[8mm|Eight MM]
[[High School DxD|Highschool Dx D]
[[Stargate SG-1|Stargate SG 1]
[[Star Trek: The Original Series|Star Trek the Original Series]
[[Law & Order|Law and Order]
[[The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening|The Legend of Zelda Links Awakening]
[[Escape From St. Mary's|Escape From St Marys]
[[Blake's 7|Blakes Seven]
[[Ranma ½|Ranma 1/2]
[[9|Nine]
[[Magic: The Gathering|Magic the Gathering]

[[M*A*S*H (television)]

EDIT: "Excited Show Title!" offered these strings that need fixing before I fixed them on that page:

[[Strawberry Panic!|Strawberry Panic]
[[Fight Ippatsu! Juuden-chan!!|Fight Ippatsu Juuden Chan]
[[Tenchi Muyo!|Tenchi Muyo]
[[I My Me! Strawberry Eggs|I My Me Strawberry Eggs]
[[Daa! Daa! Daa!|Daa Daa Daa]
[[Pani Poni Dash!|Pani Poni Dash]
[[Futaba-Kun Change!|Futaba Kun Change]
[[Kaichou wa Maid-sama|Kaichou wa Maid Sama]
[[Neko-de Gomen!|Neko De Gomen]
[[Aim for the Ace!|Aim for The Ace]
[[Dotto! Koni-chan]
[[Cannibal! The Musical|Cannibal the Musical]
[[Repo! The Genetic Opera|Repo the Genetic Opera]
[[¡Three Amigos!|Three Amigos]
[[Tora! Tora! Tora!|Tora Tora Tora]
[['Allo 'Allo!|Allo Allo]
[[Godspeed You! Black Emperor|Godspeed You Black Emperor]
[[P. G. Wodehouse|PG Wodehouse]
[[Hello, Dolly!|Hello Dolly]
[[Banana-nana-Ninja!|Banana Nana Ninja]

And another:
[[My Gym Partner's a Monkey|My Gym Partners a Monkey]
(without the apostrophe, one wonders "Partners a Monkey... with what?")
--
Rob Kelk

Okay, added them to the list in my bot code. Guess it's time I went back to that, fixed the broken stuff and made it work again.
-- Bob
---------
Trouble-making question
I just noticed that TVT's (current/new? ) page for Fenspace uses a chunk of text from the Fenwiki as its description, along with the CC attribution.  (Just like ATT does.)  Given their tainted rights situation, shouldn't the same license problem that made them yank a copy of the "Secret Return of Alex Mack" article also apply to material from the Fenwiki?
-- Bob
---------

Fenwiki is licensed CC-BY-NC.

TVTropes is (currently) licensed CC-BY-NC-SA.

I don't see an issue for Fenwiki -> TVT. (There is an issue TVT -> Fenwiki, but that hasn't come up.)
--
Rob Kelk

Hmmmmm... Wikipedia complains when "[t]he readable prose size is over 100 kilobytes" on a page. We have at least 1500 pages that are more than 102400 bytes. %[link=http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Dombey_and_Son/Source]Our current largest page] is 1946 KiB long.

Should we be encouraging folks to split up these monsters? The obvious way for a Source page is by chapter, I'd think.

EDIT: http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Little_Lo ... roy/Source]The source for Little Lord Fauntleroy is no longer on the list of one hundred longest pages. What do people think of the format? Should the navigation box be at the top of each chapter instead of (or in addition to) the bottom of each chapter? Is the format of the navigation box good? (If yes, I'll turn it into a template.) If not, what needs to be changed?
--
Rob Kelk

Somewhat trivial question for Geth, Brent or whoever... what's needed to get the "Wanted Files" special page updated? The first 300 or more files are almost completely restored, but are still displayed, albeit crossed out. Isn't there a scheduled task or something that should be refreshing this every week or few days?
-- Bob
---------

...What happened to the page tab for turning off experimental/beta gadgets? I want to permanently turn off the page preview popups that appear when you hover over links, because the goddamned things more often than not won't go away and get in the way of other links I want to click. And turning them off through their own settings options lasts only as long as that particular page is open.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:...What happened to the page tab for turning off experimental/beta gadgets? I want to permanently turn off the page preview popups that appear when you hover over links, because the goddamned things more often than not won't go away and get in the way of other links I want to click. And turning them off through their own settings options lasts only as long as that particular page is open.
It appears that the various preference settings aren't on tabs any more. Gadgets are at the bottom of http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:Preferences - "Reference Tooltips" is the one you want to turn off, IIRC.
--
Rob Kelk

Hm. I get my preferences page tabbed. You don't? And that option is on the last tab, "Gadgets", and I have it unselected. So I guess I'll try toggling it and see if that kicks it out of whatever it's in right now.

Thanks.
-- Bob
---------

Toggling it does seem to have fixed the problem.

New problem: Geth or Brent may need to look into this -- the randomization of the Featured Article appears to be broken. I can't get anything but the Heinlein article on the front page of the Wiki, and going directly to Template:FeaturedRandom always shows me the fourth item in the option list (Follow the Leader).  Is anyone else seeing anything similar?
-- Bob
---------

I think because the front page was using so many resources, that SPF reduced the randomization to 1/day.  Otherwise, the front page couldn't be cached, and it's obviously a more popular page.  So see if we get a new page tomorrow, I guess.
You could go a couple of ways from here: either petition for the randomness to be restored, or choose some random pages in advance and maybe have a bot update them once every few hours or once a day or something.  A link to another random article could be nice, though.
-- ∇×V

Okay, thanks. I'll check and see if it changes, and then decide from there what to do.
-- Bob
---------

I'm no webmaster, but could you not still cache the page if the link to "Random Article" was not a direct link that kept changing, but a call to a static special page that redirects you to a random one?
For template randomization, I have no clue how that goes. You'd have to dig into how this function works. *Makes note to read more carefully*
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Okay, weird. Forgot to check yesterday, but this morning the random article is the one that Template:FeaturedRandom was stuck on Saturday night. I'll have to check it again tomorrow.
-- Bob
---------

And tonight we have rampant "internal errors", all in the usual format ending with "Fatal exception of type MWException".

In other news, I saw Southparkfan's post about the random article feature. What can we do in its place? Is there a cache-friendly counterpart somewhere?
-- Bob
---------

Well, crap. Jdogno is back and just did an entire sweep of the "god" tropes, renaming them like he tried to last time. I'm banning the jerk permanently.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Well, crap. Jdogno is back and just did an entire sweep of the "god" tropes, renaming them like he tried to last time. I'm banning the jerk permanently.
I approve entirely.

Also, if the errors aren't gone by tomorrow, let me know and I'll put a hint in our Miraheze overlords ear about it.

Will do.
-- Bob
---------

And it looks like whatever it was is resolved. But I'll check again tonight when I get home.
-- Bob
---------

Just checked them, myself - all the page moves are still reverted.

I also left a note on his Talk page, replying to Bob's note.

EDIT: Oh, yes - we had the "Fatal exception of type MWException" errors on the freebie wiki last night, as well, so I suspect it was a Miraheze-wide issue.
--
Rob Kelk