Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part VI

New extension, guys and gals: http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:E ... oney_Toons  That's a lot of edits!
I'll get back to the other extensions soon, but some people have been waiting for six months for extensions.  That's a lot of backlog!
Dai-Guard is out of commission now, as login changes in Mediawiki have caused some sort of problem in a module it's using, Mediawiki::API.  If anyone else wants to delete Unused Categories, we have like 800 of them.  That's a lot of categories!
-- ∇×V

vorticity Wrote:New extension, guys and gals: http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:E ... oney_Toons  That's a lot of edits!

I'll get back to the other extensions soon, but some people have been waiting for six months for extensions.  That's a lot of backlog!

Dai-Guard is out of commission now, as login changes in Mediawiki have caused some sort of problem in a module it's using, Mediawiki::API.  If anyone else wants to delete Unused Categories, we have like 800 of them.  That's a lot of categories!
If you looked four hours ago, you would have seen 1100 of them... We'll get that list into shape, working together.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Yup.

And yeah, I've been a little busy, here and there. I don't always have the time to sit down for an hour or more of editing, but I can squeeze in five pages here and ten there every once in a while.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

robkelk Wrote:
vorticity Wrote:New extension, guys and gals: http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:E ... oney_Toons  That's a lot of edits!

If you looked four hours ago, you would have seen 1100 of them... We'll get that list into shape, working together.

Before I go and delete those 307 unused userbox-template categories (currently at the end of the list), will it break anything in the future if I do so or will they be automatically regenerated if needed?
--
Rob Kelk

I've got a request to make of our regular editors.

I've been following along on Recent Changes in the wake of a couple different people -- Olicool and Rob, IIRC -- who've recently been hitting webcomic pages. And I've come across more than a couple comics I'd like to check out, given their descriptions. Except when I go to look at them, they're gone. Website's up for grabs, or the host reports "no such comic". And the Wayback Machine didn't archive anything more than the top page, if that much.

If you edit a webcomic page for some reason, could you please take a moment to follow the link -- if there is one, if there isn't we need to flag it -- and see if the comic is still there? And add a note on the page if it's gone? I'm not asking you go out of your way to investigate webcomics. But if you happen to be editing one for another reason...

Thanks.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I've got a request to make of our regular editors.

I've been following along on Recent Changes in the wake of a couple different people -- Olicool and Rob, IIRC -- who've recently been hitting webcomic pages. And I've come across more than a couple comics I'd like to check out, given their descriptions. Except when I go to look at them, they're gone. Website's up for grabs, or the host reports "no such comic". And the Wayback Machine didn't archive anything more than the top page, if that much.

If you edit a webcomic page for some reason, could you please take a moment to follow the link -- if there is one, if there isn't we need to flag it -- and see if the comic is still there? And add a note on the page if it's gone? I'm not asking you go out of your way to investigate webcomics. But if you happen to be editing one for another reason...

Thanks.

I'm usually updating dozens of pages at a time (usually with HotCat), so I might not think to do this... but it's an excellent idea and I should be doing it.

We should be doing it for fanfic pages, as well.
--
Rob Kelk

Good point! (Adds it to list of hundreds of things to do...)
-- Bob
---------

Just as kind of an FYI, I now have shell access to Miraheze servers.  Keep in mind: I am still awful at operations.  I mainly have this so that I can install extensions, because I'm in charge of security reviews of extensions.  There's kind of an awful backlog of extensions, but I've managed to halve it.  And to report one relatively severe vulnerability (still not resolved, 2 weeks later).  ATT finally got the one that sends SVG files directly instead of making PNGs -- which I'm really thinking of making the default (browser support is very widespread now, even more so among our users).   Another new one for a different wiki is Extension:SimpleTooltip; it might be useful on ATT.  Let me know if you want it.
I also have reduced Miraheze's expenses by nearly 20%, with the help of the U.S. government.  That is, I live in a beautiful land where no one has heard of VAT.
Just wondering why Genre Savvy is now a category:  I'm pretty sure it's an ordinary trope, nothing index-like.  Can't we just put it on a normal page, and use {{subpages}} to generate a list of its members?  Anyway, almost everything in Category:Index shouldn't actually be an index, and should instead use subpages for organization.  IMO, anyway.
Eh, don't delete the user template categories.  They would need to be recreated.  Maybe we should just make a dummy page that holds those categories so they should stay off the empty categories list.
And also, now that I have trope highlighting working, maybe we should start tagging at least some of the redirects with Category:Trope or Category:YMMV_Trope.  At least the ones that aren't misspelled.
-- ∇×V

vorticity Wrote:...
Just wondering why Genre Savvy is now a category:  I'm pretty sure it's an ordinary trope, nothing index-like.  Can't we just put it on a normal page, and use {{subpages}} to generate a list of its members?  Anyway, almost everything in Category:Index shouldn't actually be an index, and should instead use subpages for organization.  IMO, anyway.

Eh, don't delete the user template categories.  They would need to be recreated.  Maybe we should just make a dummy page that holds those categories so they should stay off the empty categories list.

No deleting the user template categories - I can live with that. EDIT: And http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Language_user_templates]here's that dummy page

The pages in Category:Index - at least, the ones that I put there when cleaning up Category:Index Index - have indexes of related tropes listed in them along with lists of examples. As for pushing the trope pages that have their examples on subpages up to their matching category pages (and changing {{Trope}} to {{IndexTrope}} in the process), I'll let Geth answer that one...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:
vorticity Wrote:...

No deleting the user template categories - I can live with that. EDIT: And http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Language_user_templates

The pages in Category:Index - at least, the ones that I put there when cleaning up Category:Index Index - have indexes of related tropes listed in them along with lists of examples. As for pushing the trope pages that have their examples on subpages up to their matching category pages (and changing {{Trope}} to {{IndexTrope}} in the process), I'll let Geth answer that one...
That was done mainly to take advantage of the Category namespace's innate auto categorization features. It's not too different from what Fast Eddie did, ironically enough, but what I did was take advantage of a built in feature for easier organization already used by wikis even bigger than ours, and that feature is built in, not a hacky workaround like the TV Tropes Index Index version.

Okay, we had a case of someone from TVT porting over his own work, only under a different name; because of the confusion, the page was flagged and deleted as a copyright violation. The troper has showed up in the http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Talk:Radiance]discussion thread for the deleted page, and offered to prove he's the same person. I'm not sure what to accept as proof, though. Should I just take his word for it and restore the page? Advice and suggestions welcome.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Okay, we had a case of someone from TVT porting over his own work, only under a different name; because of the confusion, the page was flagged and deleted as a copyright violation. The troper has showed up in the http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Talk:Radiance, and offered to prove he's the same person. I'm not sure what to accept as proof, though. Should I just take his word for it and restore the page? Advice and suggestions welcome.
I know who they are, I'll vouch for them.

Okay, cool, I'll restore the page then.
Edit:  Or maybe someone will beat me to it. 
-- Bob
---------

@rob: Ping: http://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Request_ ... Blocked.29
Also I'm doing my best to refill that unused categories page.
-- ∇×V

Thanks - I've been busy with other things this week and hadn't had a chance to check Meta. Reply added.

Changing gears... Does anyone else think http://allthetropes.org/wiki/1visualfx ... deo%29/WMG looks suspicious? It's awfully big for a WMG page hanging off a stub page, and the only editor wasn't logged in when working o the page.
--
Rob Kelk

I'm not sure what you're suggesting. I have to agree, though, although I can imagine circumstances where it might happen, it is kind of odd that the WMG page is so large for a stub main page.
-- Bob
---------

Oh, and before I forget again, I once more ask if someone better versed in template creation than I could please take a look at http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Template:Video_right]Template:Video right and tell me what I did wrong that it doesn't accept parameters properly?

Thank you.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I'm not sure what you're suggesting. I have to agree, though, although I can imagine circumstances where it might happen, it is kind of odd that the WMG page is so large for a stub main page.
Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but I have to wonder whether a relatively-large subpage on a almost-empty stub page perhaps came from some other site...
--
Rob Kelk

Ah, okay, I thought you might have meant it was a hoax or a gag of some sort, or maybe something more sinister. 
Well, there's one way to find out -- and a quick Google search plus a check of TVT directly says "nope".  TVT doesn't even have a page for 1visualfxguy, let alone a WMG page for him.
-- Bob
---------

Does this count as an Analysis page?
http://allthetropes.org/wiki/All_Asian ... e/Analysis

If not, what sort of subpage would it be?
--
Rob Kelk

Oh, yeah, I saw that, what, yesterday? Definitely not an analysis. Not sure what it is, really. YMMV?
-- Bob
---------

May as well move it to YMMV for now. (does so)
--
Rob Kelk

Does ATT have a formal Terms of Service document posted anywhere?

If not, and if folks think we need one, feel free to raid the one I put together for the freebie wiki (making appropriate changes): http://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/w ... of_Service
--
Rob Kelk

Rob, we already have http://allthetropes.org/wiki/All_The_T ... of_Service]these for the users, and http://allthetropes.org/wiki/All_The_T ... Wiki_Staff]these for the staff.
-- Bob
---------

Poser and Daz FR ToS Wrote:... on the election and reasonable notice of either party any litigation shall be referred to arbitration.
Referred by whom?  Is this one of those quirks of law of the 51st state?
Oh, just wanted to let you know that for wiki maintenence reasons, we deleted all of the user blocks on ATT.  Basically user settings from Orain were imported, which means that we were randomly blocking Miraheze users that had never edited our wiki.  Oops.  This was also preventing our migration from Liquid Threads to Flow.  @GethN7: In related news, let's be ready to welcome back Nate Spidgewood!
-- ∇×V